Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon Ireland

Options
  • 12-12-2006 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I just had to share this with the rest of you, I have seen some dreadful sites in my life and some hopeless design decisions but Canon takes the biscuit.

I went to www.canon.ie and found out that they have an online store and offer free shipping, and as I'm running out of ink I figured it's a perfect opportunity to replenish the supply. How wrong I was.

After clicking on the link on the home page of Canon Ireland, it brings you to a Canon UK store, but no biggie you think, I've seen sites that do that. Prices are in pounds, ok, I'll have to pay a conversion charge, but again I'll live with that.. They'll also probably post them from UK which will take longer, but fine, just let me order those damn cartridges...

I place the order, fill in my address, my credit card details, it happily takes it all in, and I expect to see an order confirmation but lo and behold - it starts asking me for a shipping address (that I entered in the previous page) and gives me a drop down of the countries - with one choice! Great Britain!

For the love of god! No way to cancel the order, they've taken my credit card details, obviously didn't like Ireland, and now the order is stuck in some limbo.
    I start looking around the site for some sort of contact email address and there isn't any. So back to Canon Ireland, they do have a contact us page, which is about as useful as their online store that takes you to the UK.. but there's a feedback form!

So I start filling out the feedback form, and halfway through the second sentence this javascript alert pops up, without any text, and with one "Ok" button! And if you type any further the alert window pops up again. So I know enough about these things to figure out that it will accept only a limited number of characters, but the design and functionality of their feedback form is just fantastic!

So obviously I haven't been able to give any feedback as the form doesn't allow enough characters to have any real substance to the message, other than "you're crap!". Then some email came in from the Online store confirming my registration (never asked to be registered), so I replied to the email address it was sent from. I fully expect some automated email telling me that it's an unmonitored email address and telling me to get lost.

Guess I'll have to move to Great Britain if I want to order some ink cartridges.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

interesting problem you're having there netman. I checked it out myself although I didn't actually place an order. When viewing the online store, down the bottom it says:
    E-commerce services are provided by Digital River, International SARL, a Canon Store e-commerce reseller. Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions
    OK it's outsourced, no harm there. But when I clicked on the name of that company i had to LOL. Here's what I got:
    The Seller, Data Controller and Entity Responsible for the Content of this Site is
    Seller: Digital River, Inc.
    Company Number: B 114146.
    Registered Office: 9b, Boulevard du Prince Henri
    L-1724 Luxembourg
    Corporate Form: A Luxembourg Société á Responsabilité Limitée
    VAT Number: LU21025032
    Publication Director: General Manager, Digital River International S.a.r.l.
    Company Hosting Site: Digital River Ireland Limited
    Bay 7, Shannon Free Zone
    Shannon
    Co. Clare, Ireland
    + 353 61 230 000 phone
    + 353 61 230 001 fax

Their offices appear to be in Clare even though they only seem to deal with the UK. Seems a very messy situation.

Anyway Netman, I'd say your best bet would be to contact the above company as it seems they are the ones responsible for online ordering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I've ordered the ink cartridges from dabs.ie in the end, turned out cheaper as well. What a bunch of muppets Canon are though.

Of course the email I sent them has bounced. But I didn't want to give up, I ended going through their support, so pretending I had a problem with my printer, then going through all the possible scenarios and telling the system that none of the answers were right for me, so it finally presented me with a contact form that allows a decent amount of text to be inserted.

So now I have a case open with Canon support.. christ..

I just can't believe they're promoting this on the main Irish web site.
    They also have a link for trying out a Canon printer for free.. I bet that goes to UK as well, and then tells you to move before you can try this printer :)

Advertisement