Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help PC Anywhere?

Options
  • 12-12-2006 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Anyone got experience using PC Anywhere? I'm visiting a uk site tommorow and thursday that has broadband and I want to leave myself access to their pc's from Ireland here (Broadband also). Is it difficult to setup? I have my symantec PC anywhere in hand but I've never used it before! (eek!) Also how big a job would it be to link both sites via vpn? Would I need any special hardware or will it work between a standard BB routers? All help greatly appreciated!
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I use PC Anywhere in work to connect to all my customers and its pretty easy. You simply create a new remote in 'REMOTES', select TCP/IP in the properties and then enter an IP address in the settings tab.

The remote PC must ether be on a fixed IP or like you say use VPN's to connect and instead of entering an IP in the settings, leave it blank to do a scan of all available PC's. You'll also have to set up users on the PC's your connecting to and ensure the host option is running.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Do I need to pastrhough the ip of the specific pc through the router to the stati ip for this to work? Will this mean I can only access one of the pc's on the network then? How about when I'm searching for the host pc from this side, do I also need to make changes to my router here? Sorry for all the questions!
    Rgds

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well most of my customers will have one PC and once they give me the static ip I just connect. In saying that I think there are a couple that have to open some ports to allow the connection and may have to use port forwarding. It would actually be easier to conect to the network via VPN, as once connected its simple to do a quick scan and if there is any PC's on the network waiting it will show them all with there basic ip i.e. 192.1.1.x

I'm not a pro on networks themselves, but with PCAnywhere you don't really have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Would LogMeIn Rescue be viable for future 'en spec' situations that may arise? Used it a couple of times. You (as a tech support person) create a session in your profile and you are provided with a 6-digit pin. The customer goes to www.logmein123.com and enters that 6-digit pin. Shortly afterwards, you have access to their machine. Mind you, Windows Live Messenger also offers remote desktop sharing too.

Advertisement