Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power city prf issue

Options
  • 12-12-2006 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

i bought a deep freezer as a gift for the granny over the weekend which was delivered yesterday, when the driver was leaving i asked him to take the old one but he said he couldnt as he was too busy and would drop back. he never came back so i rang them today (coolock) to ask when he would be here but the girl who i was speaking to said it will cost an extra €20 to have it picked up now, i pointed out that the prf was paid on top of the price and power city are obliged to pick it up, she was having none of this and got quite rude and said either i bring it up to them myself or pay the additional €20 to have someone pick it up, then hung up on me.
    im not looking for advice here as i know where i stand but im giving anyone reading this the tip-off that if they buy anything electrical and the driver says he will be back, insist he takes the return item there and then

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

admiralgar wrote:
    i bought a deep freezer as a gift for the granny over the weekend which was delivered yesterday, when the driver was leaving i asked him to take the old one but he said he couldnt as he was too busy and would drop back. he never came back so i rang them today (coolock) to ask when he would be here but the girl who i was speaking to said it will cost an extra €20 to have it picked up now, i pointed out that the prf was paid on top of the price and power city are obliged to pick it up, she was having none of this and got quite rude and said either i bring it up to them myself or pay the additional €20 to have someone pick it up, then hung up on me.
    im not looking for advice here as i know where i stand but im giving anyone reading this the tip-off that if they buy anything electrical and the driver says he will be back, insist he takes the return item there and then

I am pretty sure i read somewhere either on receipt or in powercity store that they will take back old items free of charge within 14 days of original purchase, now whether this includes free collection is hard to say, perhaps ring up again and ask for the manager?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

the retailer is obliged to

- be registered with their local authority (current registration fee €20);
    - provide for free in-store take back of household WEEE on a one-for-one basis on the sale of a new like product;
    - ensure that any WEEE collected is delivered to an approved collection facility;
    - ensure that the storage and transport of WEEE collected as above meets the requirements of the Regulations; and
    - ensure that private households are informed of the WEEE take back facilities available to them and that they are encouraged to participate in the separate collection of WEEE.

so once they provide that facility at their store they legally meet their obligations and are perfectly entitled to charge €20 fee , sounds like the guy was just being lazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Weren't Power City done for dumping old electrical appliances in Clondalkin a year or two ago?

This shower are bloody useless when it comes to customer service. Their "salespeople" know feck all about the stuff you're buying or will try to sell you crap. My wife went in to buy a DVD player for her sister last week and the salesman told her that the "Walker DVD Player" was the one to go for - it "was especially good at playing pirate DVD's". When she said she wanted to buy a better known name, he told her to take her pick and walked away. So she left and went to DID and bought one there (a sony).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

admiralgar wrote:
    he never came back so i rang them today (coolock) to ask when he would be here but the girl who i was speaking to said it will cost an extra €20 to have it picked up now, i pointed out that the prf was paid on top of the price and power city are obliged to pick it up
    Try ringing head office (the Bray Power City number) and have a word with them. If that doesn't make them come out to you, then I'd say an e-mail to the ASAI might get them up off their ass as all of their stores advertise "Free Collection", therefore if the driver didn't pick up your old appliance at the delivery, then that's not your problem, it's Power City's. If they don't follow through and pick it up, for nothing, then they're falsely advertising a service which is in breach of the Consumer Information Act.

Best of luck (you'll need it)!
    My wife went in to buy a DVD player for her sister last week and the salesman told her that the "Walker DVD Player" was the one to go for - it "was especially good at playing pirate DVD's". When she said she wanted to buy a better known name, he told her to take her pick and walked away.
    As a matter of interest, if you don't mind me asking - which PC outlet was this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

It was the coolock one beside the UCI cinema.

• Advertisement
Advertisement