Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ab9 or ab9pro

Options
  • 12-12-2006 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

its probably gonna be one of these boards but im not sure , i know the ab9 had probs with getting memory to read to its 1000 fsb limit .
    Though that issue doesnt seem to be a prob with the ab9 pro.
    However im not sure which ram to get 6400 or 8000 since im not going to be overclocking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have an AB9 Pro - had problems getting it running with 2x1GB Corsair ddr2-667 - it wasn't reading the timings correctly by SPD, so running far too aggressively, causing things to crash horribly over and over.
    Solution: BIOS update or manually set timings to manufacturer specs. Took me ages to figure that out though, I thought I had faulty ram :mad:

There's not a lot of difference between the boards, afaik the AB9 uses higher quality solid capacitors and has the intel ICH8R as opposed to the AB9's ICH8. It also has a buttload of SATA connectors (9) and dual onboard ethernet. You also get a single external SATA port on the Pro.

Can't tell you much about overclocking as I only built this machine a few weeks ago and its still running at stock speeds. Plenty fast for the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

This thread got me considering OCing last night, so I went ahead. My E6600 is now running at 3.24GHz at stock voltages with the above cheap ram :). Appears stable through SuperPi to 32M digits and 3dmark 06. Temperature doesn't appear to have budged, using the stock Intel cooler.
    I haven't tried pushing it any further, but I reckon my cheap RAM will soon become a problem if I do.

Advertisement