Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haughey is promoted to Minister for State

Options
  • 12-12-2006 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

From RTE.ie:
    Deputy Haughey named Minister of State

12 December 2006 16:26
    The Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has announced that Deputy Séan Haughey is to replace Síle de Valera as Minister of State at the Department of Education and Science.

Mr Ahern made the announcement in the Dáil this afternoon.

Mr Haughey threatened to quit politics less than a year ago.

Ms de Valera resigned earlier this week.

Not really surprising really as he most likely would have quit FF if he hadn't been promoted.

Tricky time for his family though with the tribunal findings due out.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I would have chuckled had he been overlooked, but as you said, it was far from a surprise.... this deal was done back in Feb and had it not come off Haughey would have left the party and possibly run as an Ind. next year.

Apparently he's well liked within the party and held a lot of sway for a backbencher. He does have the difficult task of living in his fathers shadow without possessing nearly the same amount of charisma, but that said his tantrum at the start of the year was sickening. Regardless of his abilities I think he proved himself to be a bit of a petulant child with that display and it would make me question his ability to perform in any kind of ministerial position, junior or otherwise. Then again, I'd bet any frontbencher would throw an equally childish (although perhaps less public) strop had they been overlooked or stopped from performing their God-given right to be something other than a run of the mill TD.

Advertisement