Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Geraghty gets nomination...

Options
  • 12-12-2006 5:55pm

...for FG in Meath.

Hmmmmm. As someone commented on telly lately, will he be a Jack Lynch or more a Jimmy Deenihan...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Have to say I wasn't impressed by him on Morning Ireland this morning, didn't come across as a very strong personality, he also didn't exactly give a list of reasons of why he choose FG.

I don't think he'll cause much of a threat to Minister Dempsey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Yes,I heard the morning ireland thing, he said something like "i'd hope they'd vote for me no matter what party I'd join"
    Graham "vote for me, for me" Geraghty me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ridiculous having sports people with zero experience of how to run a country being nominated.(like Dublin GAA goalie recently)
    Of course people will vote based on his pitch experience rather than on his intellectual experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Yes, although I liked Jim Glennon, who played rugby for Ireland.Thought he was bright, intelligent and brought something to the table.Bertie, however didn't!!, Now SHaughey is Junior minister and Jim is stepping down

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It's a cheap publicity stunt. Nothing more. He would be a waste of a seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Have to agree tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Thanks to a boundary change he's got a few thousand Westmeath voters in that constituency. Considering his history on the football pitch I'd say the tally figures for those boxes will be amusing, especially the more GAA orientated parishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I'd say so alright - although there was rumour that the GPA were going to run candidates in the next general election, so this is probably not the last we'll hear about former GAA stars running for Dáil Éireann - sure the Mayo football manager John O'Mahoney is also standing for Fine Gael in next year's elections.

Having well known, and popular candiates, is all well and good but if they don't have the experience/know-how what use are they??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Kojak wrote:
    I'd say so alright - although there was rumour that the GPA were going to run candidates in the next general election, so this is probably not the last we'll hear about former GAA stars running for Dáil Éireann - sure the Mayo football manager John O'Mahoney is also standing for Fine Gael in next year's elections.

Having well known, and popular candiates, is all well and good but if they don't have the experience/know-how what use are they??
    Yes, FG would want to be really desperate to go down that road.

Visionless, methinks.

Surprise, surprise ... He was a publican more recently ... must be something in the water !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

gurramok wrote:
    Ridiculous having sports people with zero experience of how to run a country being nominated.(like Dublin GAA goalie recently)
    Of course people will vote based on his pitch experience rather than on his intellectual experience

In all fairness to John O Leary he has been very active in Finna Fail for a long time. Former Dub star Barney Rock was very active in the formative days of the Progressive Democrats, but was unsuccessful. However, Graham doesnt strike me az somebody who is too well clued in to politics. Its clearly Fine Gael trying to upstage O Leary. Sorry, but he wont get anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bilko

Het-Field wrote:
    In all fairness to John O Leary he has been very active in Finna Fail for a long time. Former Dub star Barney Rock was very active in the formative days of the Progressive Democrats, but was unsuccessful. However, Graham doesnt strike me az somebody who is too well clued in to politics. Its clearly Fine Gael trying to upstage O Leary. Sorry, but he wont get anywhere

"In all fairness" ...to FF/PD.How kind - from the UCD PD person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

bilko wrote:
    "In all fairness" ...to FF/PD.How kind - from the UCD PD person!

I said its in fairness to John O Leary. I also used Rock as an example as he was involved since the early years. The reason im saying about Graham, is because FG are a populist party, who will do anything for a vote. Eg when they get Meaths full forward to run. On your bike mate

Het-Field wrote:
    The reason im saying about Graham, is because FG are a populist party, who will do anything for a vote.
    Ha. That's rich.

Ibid wrote:
    That link requires a login. Please post the relevant section of the article.
    I assume that the article refers to Colm O'Gorman. If so, I must point out that the man is smart and dedicated, and has experience in dealing with public affairs.

No. It's the link that Gandalf posted in the BUPA thread, that the government asked BUPA to delay the announcement of their pull-out. It was scheduled for the day after the Budget.

Every party that has been in power has been populist.

Ah. Gotcha. I always viewed that kind of behaviour as a necessay bi-product of democracy. Only dictators can afford not to be populist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bilko

Het-Field wrote:
    I said its in fairness to John O Leary. I also used Rock as an example as he was involved since the early years. The reason im saying about Graham, is because FG are a populist party, who will do anything for a vote. Eg when they get Meaths full forward to run. On your bike mate

"On your bike mate"?You've obviously been watching too many re-runs of Minder,circa1979!Anyway,you only serve to re-enforce my point with your continous sycophancy towards all people/things FF - like all PDs.Your party has only one role in Irish politics,namely Fianna Fail's lackey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Observing this in the locality, it hasnt gone down too well within the local FG brigade...

http://www.unison.ie/meath_chronicle/stories.php3?ca=38&si=1740482&issue_id=14997
    Privately, unease that running three candidates was “a high-risk strategy” and disappointment that members attending had not been called upon to vote was voiced by some members.
    Deputy Phil Hogan, the national FG director of organisation, said the party had approached Mr Geraghty in November after its research showed that the former Meath All-Ireland winning football captain, as a candidate, could get additional votes for the party from people who otherwise would not support FG.

I didn't know FG were auditioning for You're a Star! The electorate will recognise this as a celebrity candidate.

They really are clutching at straws. Meath West will be divvied out for each candidate to set up stump in; Geraghty will be in Athboy/Kells, Damien English in Navan and Peter Higgins Trim/the Westmeath bit. Damien English will be hurt by this, as a former student in Kells CS, his agent was from the locality, he picked up votes in the area from John Farrelly at the last election.

There aren't two seats for FG in this constituency. The only seat that Graham Geraghty will feasibly get is his fellow candidates, as shown the last time round.

Meath West should be FF 2, FG 1 at the election, a case of as-you-were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

this would seem to be a pretty desperete move by fine gael
    it would be akin to wayne rooney running for the conservatives in the uk
    what surprised me most about this news was not that a former GAA star would run for office but that fine gael would be the party graeme chose
    i thought fine gael were the party of nice boys
    gerragthy sure aint one of them , he would be more at home at sinn fein i would have thought
    i heard it through the grapevine that the descison was made at head office in dublin and that the local fine gael heads were none too happy about it
    bottom of the barell stuff me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Fianna Fail pulls crack like this the whole time. I find it a bit hypocritical for FF/PD supporters to criticise this move.

Personally I'm not that fond of Geraghty, I think he's a bit of a knacker, but that's besides the point.

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote:
    Fianna Fail pulls crack like this the whole time. I find it a bit hypocritical for FF/PD supporters to criticise this move.
    Who are you referring to? The only other celebrity that I can think of was well-known journalist Mairead McGuinness, but that was FG as well. Running over the government candidates in my head, I really don't know who you mean.

Conor Lenihan - Formerly of 98fm and IRN
    Tony Dempsey - Wexford GAA
    Jim Glennon - Former Rugby International
    Seamus Kirk - Louth GAA
    GV Wright - Dublin GAA
    Sir Anthony O'Reilly - Former Rugby International

That's just current TDs.

Conor Lenihan - Formerly of 98fm and IRN
    He was well-qualified and comes from one of the most politically saturated families around. He would have run regardless, and I really doubt that the journalism had much to do with it. With his credentials he was always guarenteed a nomination.
    He's not what you'd call famous though, is he.
    He had long retired when they chose him. Over twenty years if I'm not mistaken.
    Seamus Kirk - Louth GAA
    He was out of the game a good few years when he got in. He had some kind of injury.
    GV Wright - Dublin GAA
    I can't find anything on him, but I thought that he had some political interest before being approached? Again, I thought that he had set up some kind of business and had a low profile when they ran him.
    If we are thinking of the same person, then he isn't a TD.

My point is that all these candidates had long finished and dissapeared off the circuit when they were named. Geraghty is stilll very-high profile, and in my opinion that is the only reason that he is getting the nomination, as opposed to the others who all had other things going in their favour.

He's not what you'd call famous though, is he.
    I'm not from Wexford so I couldn't tell you how well known he is locally. As FF always say, all politics is local. People outside of Graham Geraghty's constituency can't vote for him either after all.
    He had long retired when they chose him. Over twenty years if I'm not mistaken.
    Doesn't matter how long he had retired if people associated him with rugby rather than his politics.
    Seamus Kirk - Louth GAA
    He was out of the game a good few years when he got in. He had some kind of injury.
    See above.
    GV Wright - Dublin GAA
    I can't find anything on him, but I thought that he had some political interest before being approached? Again, I thought that he had set up some kind of business and had a low profile when they ran him.
    I doubt he had a low profile locally. He was a Dublin GAA player, Irish National Basketball Coach and International Basketball player.
    If we are thinking of the same person, then he isn't a TD.
    My bad. I was thinking of someone else who is neither Tony O'Reilly nor a FF Senator.
    My point is that all these candidates had long finished and dissapeared off the circuit when they were named. Geraghty is stilll very-high profile, and in my opinion that is the only reason that he is getting the nomination, as opposed to the others who all had other things going in their favour.
    You can still be high profile whether your still on the circuit or not.

ballooba wrote:
    As FF always say, all politics is local.
    That is petty beyond belief. That saying is worldwide, and is known internationally. A google search of that exact phrase gives 252,000 hits. IIRC it was an american who first said it.
    ballooba wrote:
    You can still be high profile whether your still on the circuit or not.
    People's reputations die out pretty quickly. My point is that if they were being picked only because they were sportsmen, then they would have chosen them when they were still active.

Sunday Independent Jan 25th 2004.
    Fianna Fail courts Packie to save party
    ADVERTISEMENT

FIANNA Fail is trying to convince former soccer international and one of Donegal's most loved sons, Packie Bonner, to run for the party in the next June's European Election. Party organisers are making every effort to prevent what is expected to be Fianna Fail's worst ever showing in European elections. The Fianna Fail party machine has started to try and attract high-profile, popular candidates to run in areas where it is believed it is in danger of losing seats in the European Parliament.

Packie Bonner is being courted by Fianna Fail for the new constituency of North West. The former international goalkeeper has been to the Dail on a number of occasions over the last few months and is said to have met Minister Eamon O Cuiv who has responsibility for that area. However, news of the parachute candidate being brought in is said to have upset the local party and, in particular, supporters of Sean O Neachtain. O Neachtain was co-opted when Pat 'the' Cope Gallagher won a seat in the last general election and resigned from Europe to take up his appointment as a Junior Minister.

Packie Bonner has said on local radio that he would not be running in the European election as he is too busy. However, local party sources believe that Bonner will take up the challenge and are confident that he would win the Fianna Fail seat. There is a real concern that O Neachtain has failed to register with the voters and would find it difficult to hold on to the seat.

North West will be one of the most closely contested European constituencies with a number of women candidates likely to share the spoils.

Dana will face a serious challenge from Madeleine Taylor-Quinn who is likely to be selected at next Sunday's Fine Gael convention in the Sligo Park Hotel. Fine Gael's sitting European Member Joe McCartin is resigning at the end of the current parliament and Taylor-Quinn is seen as Fine Gael's best chance of retaining this seat. Based in Kilrush, County Clare, Taylor-Quinn is regarded as a strong candidate and has begun her campaign for next June's European Election.

Another woman who is likely to run as an independent is Marian Harkin who polled over 40,000 votes in the last European elections and was elected to the Dail in the last general election. Her strong performance in the general election compared with Dana's poor outing indicates that it is likely to be Harkin who will take the seat next June.

Jimmy Guerin Fianna Fail courts Packie to save party
    ADVERTISEMENT

FIANNA Fail is trying to convince former soccer international and one of Donegal's most loved sons, Packie Bonner, to run for the party in the next June's European Election. Party organisers are making every effort to prevent what is expected to be Fianna Fail's worst ever showing in European elections. The Fianna Fail party machine has started to try and attract high-profile, popular candidates to run in areas where it is believed it is in danger of losing seats in the European Parliament.

Packie Bonner is being courted by Fianna Fail for the new constituency of North West. The former international goalkeeper has been to the Dail on a number of occasions over the last few months and is said to have met Minister Eamon O Cuiv who has responsibility for that area. However, news of the parachute candidate being brought in is said to have upset the local party and, in particular, supporters of Sean O Neachtain. O Neachtain was co-opted when Pat 'the' Cope Gallagher won a seat in the last general election and resigned from Europe to take up his appointment as a Junior Minister.

Packie Bonner has said on local radio that he would not be running in the European election as he is too busy. However, local party sources believe that Bonner will take up the challenge and are confident that he would win the Fianna Fail seat. There is a real concern that O Neachtain has failed to register with the voters and would find it difficult to hold on to the seat.

North West will be one of the most closely contested European constituencies with a number of women candidates likely to share the spoils.

Dana will face a serious challenge from Madeleine Taylor-Quinn who is likely to be selected at next Sunday's Fine Gael convention in the Sligo Park Hotel. Fine Gael's sitting European Member Joe McCartin is resigning at the end of the current parliament and Taylor-Quinn is seen as Fine Gael's best chance of retaining this seat. Based in Kilrush, County Clare, Taylor-Quinn is regarded as a strong candidate and has begun her campaign for next June's European Election.

Another woman who is likely to run as an independent is Marian Harkin who polled over 40,000 votes in the last European elections and was elected to the Dail in the last general election. Her strong performance in the general election compared with Dana's poor outing indicates that it is likely to be Harkin who will take the seat next June.

Jimmy Guerin

Bray People 21 Dec 2006
    Behan added to Fianna Fail ticket

Bray's Cllr. Joe Behan said he is 'elated' to have been selected to stand alongside Minister Dick Roche and Arklow's Pat Fitzgerald in contesting the next General Election for Fianna Fail.

Speaking shortly after he received the phone call from Fianna Fail party secretary Sean Dorgan at lunchtime on Friday, Cllr. Behan said he was 'absolutely thrilled' that he had been chosen for the party ticket.

'I suppose I feel a certain amount of sympathy for Pat Doran and Pat Casey, but having said that, I'm delighted,'he said.

County Wicklow's Fianna Fail selection race has proved to be controversial since the announcement last May that interviews with candidates would be held in lieu of a selection convention.

Last month's revelation that rugby star Shane Byrne had turned down an approach by the party to run added to the controversy, angering many local party members.

That is petty beyond belief. That saying is worldwide, and is known internationally. A google search of that exact phrase gives 252,000 hits. IIRC it was an american who first said it.

Most of the time I hear it, it's from FF supporters.

Anyway, I have posted up evidence of high profile FF parachutes candidates above. FF were unsuccessful in wooing mullet man, but the fact is that they tried.

Let's not forget John O'Leary, a Former Dublin GAA Captain replacing a former Ireland Rugby International. The fact that Jim Glennon is being replaced by John O'Leary would seem to some that their sporting prowess would have at least something to do with their selection for that constituency.

It's gone awful quiet in here all of a sudden. :D

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote:
    It's gone awful quiet in here all of a sudden. :D
    Ffs Its Christmas, I have friends and family, and have been busy over the last while. Sometimes people with lives are away from the internet for a day or two. I was busy, and didn't have time to research what you were saying (I still haven't but I've made a half-assed effort:p ) In future, give people time before you start to gloat.

Before I go onto the candidate issue, I want to get one thing out of the way, because it's bugging me. You seem to think that the whole idea of "all politics is local" has something to do with FF. It doesn't. I've heard people of all parties say it, because it is true. It isn't something shameful at all. It may mean that local interests are represented over national interests, but that is, representative democracy. It's how Ireland works, for all parties, from Fine Gael to Fianna Fail, from Labour to the Progressive Democrats, and while we make shake our heads at it, it means that the ordinary people of Ireland can lobby their TDs and its in the TDs interests to listen. To try and pretend that it is a "fault" in only one party is hubris. If they're in the Dail, then unless they were a (ironically enough) celebrity candidate, then they did a lot of favours.
    There is no party in Ireland that doesn't follow this. If FG were in, they would have messed up Decentralisation too, they just would have given the jobs to FG villages.
    I remember feeling sickened long ago, when seeing a full-page advertisement in a local newspaper for a fine gael candidate, and being sickened as I saw that it consisted of a photo of an old man, with a long quote about how the candidate had moved his forms through the health service administration quickly (nothing illegal as far as I could tell, it had just gotten stuck in the works). When I saw it, I thought (like you) that that sort of thing was low and sycophantic. However, years later, I realised that there was little wrong with it. The man had little choice, and he was showing the people that he had the abilities that they liked. And, that TD is now one of the Fine Gael'ers that I have the most respect for, because once elected, he showed that he was a good TD, and has been strong on local issues, and national ones. I don't look down on him for doing that ad, and neither should anyone.

Your example is Packie Bonner, and tbh I haven't heard of him since I was a lot smaller. This is the first time he's come across my radar in years. But, you are correct, Bonner would count as a parachute candidate, as I asked my brother (better at sport than me:) ) who says that Bonner hasn't done much, but makes the occasional public appearence.
    I still disagree with you when you said that "Fianna Fail pulls crack like this the whole time". The two sides seem about even when it comes to this, but I would still regard Geraghty's recruitment as worse, because tbh, I heard that he wasn't the brightest. It's one thing to put someone in the Dail due to fame, but to put an incompetant in is a disgrace.

The_Minister.

EDIT: I need to counter you on this as well:
    ballooba wrote:
    The fact that Jim Glennon is being replaced by John O'Leary would seem to some that their sporting prowess would have at least something to do with their selection for that constituency
    I can see how you made this mistake, but a little bit of thought and you'll realise that the facts are lying to you.
    Who mainly runs for election? Middle class people from private schools.
    What do private schools tend to pride themselves on? Sporting achievement.
    So who gets to be the best at sport in the school? The bold, the resourceful, the ambitious and the determined.
    What kind of person runs for election? Someone who is bold, resourceful, ambitious and determined.
    There is no conspiracy, its just that those with the right qualities for politics, also have the right qualities for sports.

Advertisement