Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre Christmas price increases across the board

Options
  • 12-12-2006 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I did my christmas toy shopping mid November in Smyths and got all the kids, nieces and nephews sorted before the mad rush started. However the wife left it till last week to get some items for her sister who's in the back end of Mayo and thus can't get near a toy shop. The sister in law wanted similar items to the ones we bought so off we went to get them and this is where the rant begins....................

All of the toys we had purchased for our own kids had increased in price by between €10 and €20. Sister in law seriously pissed about this rip off. When we asked customer service for an explanation, the girl behind the counter said "because of the demand".

I went for a stroll into DID to eye up the LCD telly I've been planning to buy in the sales and it had gone up by €300 in price. When I queried this with the salesman, he at first said it was a new model but when I let him know it was exactly the same as the one I had priced last week, he went off to the manager. The manager then said that the manufacturer had put the price up but he'd do me a deal in the christmas sales. When I asked if that would mean a reduction of over €300, he said that was unrealistic and the best they could do was knock a €100 off the price. I said it wouldn't really be a sale then as I'd still be paying more for it. As he was about to reply, my wife walked over to tell me that the price of a cooker we had been planning to buy had increased from €2,800 to €3,100. As I turned to put this to the manager, he just walked away.

Its bloody obvious that they must all put their prices up before christmas for a specified time so they can fool the punters into believing that they have reduced them for the sale.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Buyer beware and all that, at least you noticed. There'll probably be a lot of people who don't notice though.

I don't think it's fair to say that all retailers bump prices up. I have noticed that Argos have dropped prices on a lot of things recently and I've seen phone prices come down in the last month or so too. I haven't really been looking though as I've had all my shopping done since November.
    The manager then said that the manufacturer had put the price up but he'd do me a deal in the christmas sales. When I asked if that would mean a reduction of over €300, he said that was unrealistic and the best they could do was knock a €100 off the price. I said it wouldn't really be a sale then as I'd still be paying more for it.
    And there I was thinking that the price of Plasma and LCD TVs were coming down, this is the first time I've heard of a manufacturer putting up the price. I'd say the manager was just fobbing you off. You know not to buy from DID now anyway.

It'd be interesting to see if others have noticed price hikes in any other shops, especially places like Toy and Electrical shops that people often expect to get a good deal in the sales from. The mark up in Toys is already huge, not sure about electrical, so price increases there really aren't warranted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

price of a cooker we had been planning to buy had increased from €2,800 to €3,100.

LOL :D:D , and you worry about €10 for a Barbie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Unexpected demand for a product at this time of year can result in increased costs to the manufacturer if they ramp up production suddenly; overtime payments to employees and more expensive shipping options to ensure the product gets to the distributor/reseller on time.

Another cause may be retailers planning their January "reductions". In order to display a reduction on an item, the previous price must have been valid for 28 days over the previous three months. December may be the best month for them to hike the price with shoppers less willing to shop around.
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/consumer_affairs/pricing/pricing_of_goods_and_services.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Sponge Bob wrote:
    LOL :D:D , and you worry about €10 for a Barbie :D
    Nope I'm not worried about the price increase on the toys as I'd bought mine in November prior to the hike in prices. It was the sister in law who was pissed at having to pay more.

As for the cooker, its what the wife wants, and as any married man will tell you, let her have what she wants and then she cant complain when I buy the LCD TV, Home Theatre system, XBox 360 etc etc:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Snowbat wrote:
    Unexpected demand for a product at this time of year
    Surprised by Christmas? After spending all that money on advertising in the run-up? Gimme a break.

• Advertisement
Advertisement