Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good corkscrew

• 12-12-2006 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I've had a winged corkscrew for 5-6 years, don't even remember where I bought it, and then one day the spiral broke. Bought two of them in the last 6 months, both broke!

The last one I bought in Kitchen Complements and I thought I was getting a quality unit. The "gears" on the wings wore off and now the wings are lopsided and useless.

I don't want a 5-10 euro piece of plastic, and that pretty much seems to be the market these days. I want to get a decent, sturdy, robust corkscrew and don't mind spending a bit of money on it, something that will last me a few years. But I've no idea where to look.

Could anyone recommend a good one? I've seen the "rabbit" ones which I always wondered about, but I doubt that the ones with plastic handles and clips would last long, and they're much more expensive.

Any help, thoughts on the subject, would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've got a simple plastic Screwpull one (made by Le Creuset). It looks a bit kinda flimsy, but it does the job and seems strong enough, and it comes with a handy foil cutter. It's the first one on this page .. (well, an older model actually, but it 's basically the same one.)

http://www.screwpull.co.uk/category.aspx?CatID=8

There are some other seriously "gadgety" looking ones on that site too, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money TBH.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I agree with Alun, that screwpull one is brilliant. We've had one of them here at home for years. It's much studier that it looks and really really simple to use.

However, it's not the best with plastic corks. For the plastic corks we use a fish shaped corkscrew like the one here: http://www.mojolondon.co.uk/homegarden/indoors/baraccessories/original_fish_corkscrew.htm
    It works great too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I am a big fan of the "waiters friend" style of corkscrew, but then I worked as a waiter for years.

http://images.google.ie/images?hl=en&q=waiters+friend&btnG=Search+Images

Important with these is that you open it and see how it feels in the hand, cos some of them have sharp edges, although I think this is only very relevant when you have to open 100 bottles or so and it cuts you.

Check in TKMaxx, they have a lot of these type of kitchen knick-knacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

i defo agree. waiters friend is the way to go

Advertisement