Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf problems

Options
  • 12-12-2006 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice for younger brother. He owns a Golf which is only months old, there isnt 10,000 km on the clock. Thing is he has been an electronic warning noise for the last couple of days, contacted VW and they say its a prob they have been having and the car needs a new dashboard. He isnt happy at all which is understandable, can he demand a new car as this problem will obviously be registered and may cause problems for resale down the road. Maybe this is a consumer issue but any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

can he demand a new car

No. I take it that VW have offered to replace the dashboard for free (under warranty)? He will have to accept that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

The only way it'll effect the resale value is by possibly increasing it.
    imagine if you were buying a 06 golf 2 r 3 years down the line and you heard the dash on some of them gave trouble. Would you rather buy one that had the problem fixed or not?

there is obviously a problem with the car that VW seem to be aware of.
    i'm sure his it's the only model if they are willing to replace the dash so quick.
    It'll all be replace FOC under warranty and seen as it's a job that takes a bit of time to do he should also get a replacement rental car under warranty while the job is carried out. (The job needs to take 3hrs + according to VW ELSA to get the rental car free)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i dont what you mean will by registered??

i'd can't imagine a fixed problem affecting the resale, if its a common problem, and its fixed in this can, surly it would be worth more then a similar car that "could develop this problem"

edit... crap leon bet me too it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

To be honest, I find it quite amazing that anyone would even think of demanding a new car under such circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

OK thanks guys. The garage wanted to give him an old Micra for a few days so he can get himself a rental car. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Sorry guys I should have asked for a rough idea of how long the car would be away for to get the new dash. Any ideas, few days or weeks ?

Also getting a rental car does he have to take one of the garage or can he go to a rental company himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

It would have to be one of the dealers cars or one arranged with a car hire company by the dealer, probably with the persons own insurance. If the person rented it privately themselves, then they would be out of pocket.

A dealer tried to give me some banger once as a replacement on a brand new car for a few days; I said no way and wanted something along the same lines as the car I had bought and an auto as well. End result, they paid for a decent sized hire car as a replacement. I assume this may have been added to the warranty billing, between themselves and the manufacturer.

Not really sure how long it would take but it'd guess at 2 maybe 3 days without the car once the parts come in (assuming they are all there and correct)
    The replacement car would be provided by the dealer only. Either give you one of their cars or a rental from a company they regularly deal with. The standard rental cars tend to be astras, almeras or if they are busy you might be stuck with a micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Replacing and recoding a VW dash should take no longer than 2 hours. Your bro may be with out the car for a day as dealers don't use a while-you-wait service.

You are entitled to a replacement car if the repair time is over a predetermined time. It used to be 2 hours when VW used Mondial as the recovery and replacement car supplier, but since 1 July 2006 they have been using the AA so those times may have changed. If you call 01 409 4444 (VW importer) they will verify your entitlements.

Don't worry about any effect on the value of the car. It's a warranty problem - plain and simple. And it's a new dash insert they will fit - not a dashboard. VW will repair it - just make sure they code the odometer to display the correct kilometers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

OK thanks guys. The garage wanted to give him an old Micra for a few days so he can get himself a rental car. Thanks again.

...its only for a day or two.

• Advertisement

Sorry misinterperted the post.
    Dash clocks only take an hour or two at most to do.
    No replacement car under warranty.
    The dealer might give you a car ( micra) to keep you going for the day
    Remind your brother to bring both sets of keys with him. They both will need coding to the new clocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

$Leon$ wrote:
    Remind your brother to bring both sets of keys with him. They both will need coding to the new clocks.

Excellent advice! The immobiliser system in a VW is in the dash insert, so only the keys present at the time of coding will work. So all keys should be given to the dealer - but the dealer should tell your brother this.

Can I ask what dealer it is................?

Advertisement