Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How Much? New Clutch - Ford Focus

Options
  • 12-12-2006 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

How much would you expect to pay for a new clutch on a Ford Focus?

I’m in Dublin. Ashley ford quoted me 700 euro and Sandford Motors quoted around 550. Is this about right?

The clutch is slipping a bit, only really noticeable when doing starts on very step hills (like the one getting out of the underground parking in our Apt.) Only started happening recently, how long would I have before I need to get it done, don’t really have the spare cash atm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I know a garage in the north Dublin city area (not too far from Ashley Motors) that will do it cheaper than main dealer prices. PM me if you want details.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Thanks, PM sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Got the clutch on an 03 1.6 Focus changed recently for €520 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Got the clutch on an 03 1.6 Focus changed recently for €520 all in.

:eek: How many miles on the clock.

You probably have another 5k miles left in it no problem.

Personal if it was me I would keep driving it till it stops or near to it, when you get to the point revs are getting to high on the engine and the pressure plate is worn away, drive it into the garage and get it changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

How many miles on the clock.

You probably have another 5k miles left in it no problem.

19K miles, the release bearing was gone, my mechanic said he'd never heard a
    release bearing make that much noise before, and after inspecting the parts that had been taken out, the pressure plate was fairly worn for the miles that were on it aswell.
    Personal if it was me I would keep driving it till it stops or near to it, when you get to the point revs are getting to high on the engine and the pressure plate is worn away, drive it into the garage and get it changed.
    Did just that with my last motorbike, was lucky to make it to the garage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

good lord. i got the clutch and rear shocks on my corolla changed recently for 245 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

the €700 is a joke, and the €520 is a bit much too, thank God I stay away from main dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I was talking to a mechanic friend the other day who told me that most new cars using hydraulic clutches have to have their clutch, pressure plate and release bearing changed when the clutch goes.Nothing new in that as it was always good practice to do so unless DIY'ing, but the thing is nowadays the release bearing and hydraulic cylinder are all one !!

Minimum is around €600 on these cars, main dealers are more, and on some cars you can't get the spurious bits yet !!

Also a lot of these cars employ dual mass flywheels and they have to be replaced if even slightly scored, cost = €800 !

Chaa......CHING !!

It seems a lot of the new VW's, Toyotas and Opels have similar set ups and its spreading. Not sure about the latest Fords.

Gone are the days you could change an Opel Clutch in 1/2 an hour for about £100 !

Advertisement