Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the BT configuration information? wireless netgear

Options
  • 12-12-2006 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭

I have got the netgear rangemax and reading the instructions it says " locate the adsl configuration information from your isp?? where do I get this and is it the DNS address?

toally clueless but can follow easy steps.

gb--

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Should've bought the Netopia:p . Anyway...
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Protocol: PPP over Ethernet LLC/Snap

Primary DNS: 194.125.2.240
    Primary DNS Name: ns4.ns.esat.net

Secondary DNS: 194.125.2.241
    Secondary DNS Name: ns5.ns.esat.net

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭swoofer

Thanks for reply but I did not get very far!! Got it all plugged in and lights blinking, got ti wizard and put in username and pw, BUT then it asks for IP address and below that the primary dns and secondary dns which you quoted. What is th IP adress?? I thought it was dynamic ie changed on login. This netgear is set to auto as well.

what am I missing? I am on pc downstairs at the mo.

gb--

What's the exact model number of the Netgear?

Thanks for help so far, I had to give up and go to bed, this morning I took it skow and got connected BUT BUT I now cant get any pages to load its as if the firewall is barring me. I checked FW on the router and it does say inbound service default block always but it warns not to touch anything as well. I briefly edited it and used the lan address but still blocked,

Its a netgear rangemax dg834pn and it has flashing lights. I am doing this god help me as I have got the other half a lappy for xmas and want it connected via wireless. Can only mess around when she is out or at work as it is a surprise.

I am using xp pro and no doubt that has to be configured as well.

I have to go out now for a few hours and will try and find that book on how to use xp pro to go wireless but if you know a quick shortcut, I am not one who wants to know how it works, just want it to work.

I made a basic boo boo last night otherwise I would have had loads of time to figure out the next bit.

gb--

What is the status of the DSL/WAN light?
    From Netgear website:
    Check that the WAN light is green or blinking green. This may take several minutes after connecting or rebooting the router. If the WAN light is off or blinking yellow, contact your ISP.
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101593.asp
    All the line data (DNS, IP, etc) should be picked up automatically.

• Advertisement

As you kindly pointed me in the right direction here is an update. Success, I got it working and git the wireless bit running. I did a bit of reading and tried a few things and slowed down. It takes a bit longer than I thought to get to the netgear test page. I had used wrong pw initially!! but what got me running was when I switched router to dynamic isp.

I kept a few printed sheets and your links.

So thanks for the help. I am off today and intend to set the wireless up securely!!

I may be back/

gb--

Good stuff.

Advertisement