Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 6680 giving trouble

• 12-12-2006 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi, my 6680 is having trouble from time to time sending/receiving texts & calls

(this is solved by a restart - but very annoying when you get a load of msgs and ans. machine txt messags during the time the phone isn't accessing the network! :) - you can't tell the phone is doing this unless you try and make a call - in which case it does nothing)

Anywho I researched this & it appears to be a common problem connected with the firmware - the phone hops from the 3G to ordinary call network or Vice Versa and "stalls" , apparently a firmware update will fix this.
    The firmware currently on my phone is version: 3.04.37

My questions are:

My phone is on 3 billpay, was bought in Carphone Warehouse and still under warranty. If I take it to Carphone, can they perform the upgrade there and then or will they have to send it back to 3?

If I take it to a Nokia Service Centre to upgrade the firmware will it void the warranty with 3 - i.e. do I have to take it back to Carphone warehouse?

Is a firmware update like an ordinary computer OS reinstall; i.e. will I lose all the data stored on the phone - contacts, appts, messages etc. Is there any way to backup all these in this case before I get the firmware updated?

Apologies for the long post! :)
    Cheers and thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Menu > Tools > Settings > Network > Network mode;

(shown ony if supported by the operator)—Select which network to use. If you select Dual mode, the phone uses the GSM or UMTS network
    automatically, according to the network parameters and
    the roaming agreements between the network operators.
    Contact your network operator for more details.

Warning: If you set the phone to use only the GSM
    network, you will not be able to make any calls,
    including emergency calls, or use other features
    requiring a network connection, if the selected
    network is not available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

BreadBoard wrote:
    Menu > Tools > Settings > Network > Network mode;

Thanks but this wont work- I wanted to do this before but I only have the dual- mode option!

so firmware upgrade only option it seems :(

Velocitee wrote:

The firmware currently on my phone is version: 3.04.37
    My questions are:

My phone is on 3 billpay, was bought in Carphone Warehouse and still under warranty. If I take it to Carphone, can they perform the firmware upgrade there and then or will they have to send it back to 3?

If I take it to a Nokia Service Centre to upgrade the firmware will it void the warranty with 3 - i.e. do I have to take it back to Carphone warehouse?

Is a firmware update like an ordinary computer OS reinstall; i.e. will I lose all the data stored on the phone - contacts, appts, messages etc. Is there any way to backup all these in this case before I get the firmware updated?

Still looking for answers to the above it seems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ronan675

I assume you have tried using the NSU (nokia software updater) which is available @ http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4226014

This may or may not update the phone to the latest v5 firmware. Seeing as it's a 3 phone they have to release branded versions of the updates before the nokia software updater will install them. Sometimes this takes quite a long time.

Alternatively there are ways to fool the NSU into installing unbranded firmware on your phone but this can be a fairly complicated process as it involves flashing different operator codes into the phone.

I would recommend you try and get the generic nokia firmware installed on the phone as it's generally always newer and more stable than the operators branded firmware. I think most nokia service centers will flash the generic firmware for you if your not comfortable trying to flash the phone yourself.

After a firmware update all data is erased. However you can use the built in backup feature in the phone to backup all settings / contacts to the memory card and then restore them afterwards.

ronan675 wrote:
    I assume you have tried using the NSU (nokia software updater) which is available @ http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4226014

I would recommend you try and get the generic nokia firmware installed on the phone as it's generally always newer and more stable than the operators branded firmware. I think most nokia service centers will flash the generic firmware for you if your not comfortable trying to flash the phone yourself.

I tried the NSU just after my last post and it says my phone is fully up to date :rolleyes: :(

Do you know if you get the generic update put on, will that interfere with my 3G/voice/text message settings? Will 3 still support the phone - Im guessing they would seeing as it's a nokia service centre performing the firmware upgrade?
    (I backed up the settings for the phone om mem card and PC, but what can I say, I get suspicious! :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ronan675

Yep I thought that would be the case with the NSU. Generally the operators always have much older firmware.

I have never used 3 myself but I don't see why there would be any issue using generic firmware. You might have to input some settings manually e.g wap / gprs apn's but that should not be too difficult. Everything else should work as before. :)

Velocitee wrote:
    I tried the NSU just after my last post and it says my phone is fully up to date :rolleyes: :(

Do you know if you get the generic update put on, will that interfere with my 3G/voice/text message settings? Will 3 still support the phone - Im guessing they would seeing as it's a nokia service centre performing the firmware upgrade?
    (I backed up the settings for the phone om mem card and PC, but what can I say, I get suspicious! :) )

Cheers for that, I will definitely look into upgrading the firmware to generic,

Thanks!:)

If you feel adventurous you can flash the firmware yourself to generic using Nokia Software Updater. The key is to change the product code from three Ireland to something else (like generic Euro). I e.g. flashed operator locked Irish three branded 6680 into Skandinavian 6680 yesterday (now has version V5.04.07). This is how it goes in case of 6680:

1. Find and install NSS software
    details in http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/archive/index.php/t-344689-p-1.html
    but you may have to search another location for actual download location.
    2. Plug in the phone via USB cable that came with it. Start NSS and change the product code of the phone to 0520999 (Nokia 6680 Euro1 Silver blue, taken from the thread above so I take no responsibility). As said above at this stage you can use any code you like, but please be careful to select one that is actually meant for Nokia 6680.
    3. Reboot phone, plug the cable back in.
    4. Start the Nokia Software Updater, it will now tell you that upgrade is available and will procedd to download some 20 megs of firmware.

I was a bit skeptic about the process when I read about it first but it worked for me. I now have my native language support in 6680 AND a few revisions newer firmware.

The same process worked also with N70.

ok thanks for all the help and here's an update,

I've got the firmware of the phone flashed to generic V 5.04.07 (covered under 2 yr warranty so didnt pay a cent) @ my local Nokia Service centre.

I explained all my woes to the engineer and luckily all the issues I was having now seem to be solved. :):cool:

My only question now is, if nokia release an update to this generic firmware with the Nokia Software Updater, will I be able to install the new update or will the NSU install the branded firmware again :confused: Will it warn me as to what version of firmware it is installing?

Advertisement