Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with PSU

Options
  • 12-12-2006 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Could anyone help me with this problem. The fan on the PSU comes on with just the mains power supply on, the PC is not switched on. Have tried disconnecting everything and only the ATX cable and 12v cable are on the MOB.
    It is a 2.6ghz, P4. the PSU is a 400watt ATX. I have tried it on another PC and it works no prob.
    Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

check you bios to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 snoopy5

Hi,

thanks for answering. have checked the BIOS and there isnt anything there for power settings.

do you have brand or model ?

It is an E_Machine 5220. 2.6ghz. The power supply is DR-A300 ATX

made by eagle
    will check

• Advertisement

its a normal standard psu
    disconnect the power to mobo
    and see what happens

Hi

Have disconnected the power from the MOB and nothing happens, the fan on PSU doesnt come on, it comes on when i connect the power to the MOB

how long have you this pc
    did you do something to it sinse it happen or before,upgrade or in bios

Had to replace the PSU with this one because the original one went completely dead. Havent changed any of the bios settings. The PSU that is in it now has been tried on another PC and it is fine, I also took the PSU out of another PC and put it in this one and it does the same thing, comes on when the mains is switched on before the pc is switched on.

some psu stay on after you turn off pc,never had a fan on psu be on when pc off,could try clearing your cmos.see if it helps

• Advertisement

If i do clear the cmos will this effect Windows as I dont want to reinstall just now if I can help it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Clearing the CMOS only resets the bios back to the default settings it wont affect Windows though you would need to go over the bios and maker sure everything is set the way you want.

However I do not believe clearing the CMOS will help in this case because it is a PSU compatibility issue.

E machines could have wired their motherboard to only accept their own PSU's via a different pin out for example it was something Dell used to do or it requires specific ATX revision of the PSU in order to work (again the reason is so you can only use there own parts).

Anyway that is my guess but I will have a look for any info to confirm that (hopefully not).

The other possible cause is a short somewhere in the case disconnect everything and double check the connections & that nothing is interfering with the motherboard then plug in only the basics video, RAM, mouse, keyboard and power on the system and see if it boots.

Hi

It was just an ordinary ATX power supply that was in it. Have checked all cables etc and it boots to windows no problem. I think I am just going to have to live with switching it off at the back as everything seems perfect. Many thanks for your time and effort ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,252 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

snoopy5 wrote:
    Hi

It was just an ordinary ATX power supply that was in it. Have checked all cables etc and it boots to windows no problem. I think I am just going to have to live with switching it off at the back as everything seems perfect. Many thanks for your time and effort ;)

Maplin (Blanchardstown) had a wireless remote control power socket the day before yesterday for a tenner, might make life easier :)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=98630&criteria=REMOTE%20CONTROL&doy=14m12

Advertisement