Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help?!

Options
  • 12-12-2006 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

:I admit that I've been pretty f*cking stupid, but does anyone whose doing the same course tell me what the hell I need to know or be studying?! I'm leaning more towards the French Revolution at the moment! does anyone have any advice for cramming? I've yet to start studying, the exams is at 3 tomorrow, although I went to all my lectures and took notes, and the exam's only worth 50% we already have 50 done, 2 essays (one c nd one d) and attendence (3 outta four tutorials) soooo how screwed am I? :( :eek: :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Don't panic first of all, you've left it a bit late but theres still time!
    What year are you and what course are you doing? Have a look at your course outline and past exam papers which should be available online to give ideas on where to start studying and also maybe someone here can help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Shards

1st year, 1st exam so I don't know what really ot expect :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Chill :) Your not screwed, all you need is a D-. History (I'm guessing that's what your doing) exams are fairly predictible/repetitive, so just take some time to go over the past papers and get used to what kind of questions your likely to be asked. Go over your notes while your looking through the papers, and when your doing the exam tomorrow just remember to answer all the questions and write down as much as you know. All you need is a D- and if you've been to all your lectures/tutorials and done your essays you should know enough to pass the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Hey I did History in first year you'll be fine just learn the stuff about the October Revolution in that little red book.Basically the Russian revolution.French revolution should be avoided its a lot more work.

Its only one essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

If you're doing the French Revolution do terror. The God that is Hugh Gough loves it, since he wrote a book on it and all! And it's fairly simple from what I remember.

History exams are incredibly predictable. Generally because there are always elements of each topic that are so important that they cant not ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'm doing that course, I'm ended up picking the French Revolution - I was going with the Russian Revolution initially but I found the French easier to study for. Like Cannibal Ox said, you only need a D- and it's only an hour long exam so it won't be hard to get enough covered to pass. We only did 10 lectures on each revolution so you'll get the basics covered before tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

French revolution all the way. Hugh Gough's lectures were much more enjoyable (for me anyway) and so I took better notes. Terror is your best bet alright.

w00t etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dovescar

Here listen, I can bet you are better off than me, did'nt do any assignments and no study, not proud of it either but just did the exam, did crap as expected but hey at least ya know you did better than me. Job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I answered question six in that... I don't even know what a thermidor is though... Had a B and C in the essays going in though so I think I've answered enough to pass. *fingers crossed*

Brimmy wrote:
    I answered question six in that... I don't even know what a thermidor is though... Had a B and C in the essays going in though so I think I've answered enough to pass. *fingers crossed*

The exam is marked separately from the continous assessment so you have to pass the exam.But I did next to nothing for it and I passed.Then your mark at or above 40% is then counted with the continous assessment to make up the total grade.

Thank God I don't do History anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Any updates? How did you get on?

I'm glad I skipped the Russian revolution now, I don't think I could have written anything for 2 of them even if I had studied it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

tbh it was a ridiculously predictable exam. it strayed little from the past paper or the sample questions.

I got on okay, i think!!! did the 2nd question, wrote 5 pages so not too bad hopefully?! thanks everyone for the help :p how did everyone else do?

Chakar wrote:
    The exam is marked separately from the continous assessment so you have to pass the exam.But I did next to nothing for it and I passed.Then your mark at or above 40% is then counted with the continous assessment to make up the total grade.

Thank God I don't do History anymore.

What are you serious? That's bull****, I thought it was just 50 and 50 with your total mark out of a 100 but you have to pass both to pass the year?

F*cking hell why did nobody say that once this year?

What's everyone studying for the Barbarism and Christianity essay, I was out for the past few weeks so the only thing I know to do is the myth of Patrick. Anyone else given any pointers/tips or just have their own predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Brimmy wrote:
    What are you serious? That's bull****, I thought it was just 50 and 50 with your total mark out of a 100 but you have to pass both to pass the year?

What's everyone studying for the Barbarism and Christianity essay, I was out for the past few weeks so the only thing I know to do is the myth of Patrick. Anyone else given any pointers/tips or just have their own predictions?

elva johnston pretty much told us what was coming up if you had bothered to attend. the usual stuff: fall of rome, charlemagne, islam, st patrick, barbarian kingdom. cant remember what else

Brimmy wrote:

Sorry to shock you I heard it from my tutor when I was in first year History last year.But I'm pretty sure its the same this year you can check anyway.

And yes you have to pass both to pass the year but seriously the essay is so easy.Just learn a topic that delta bravo mentioned above.

It's not that I didn't bother to attend, I was sick for the past few weeks and couldn't even get out of bed, I had to get a load of extensions up until last week and this week which has ****ed up my studying. Fall of Rome eh... there's a lot in it but I know most of it ...Hmm..

Shards wrote:
    I got on okay, i think!!! did the 2nd question, wrote 5 pages so not too bad hopefully?! thanks everyone for the help :p how did everyone else do?

That was a grand question. Basically the assignment we had to do earlier on (I did it too). Quite an easy test really.

As for Barbarism and Christianity......

1. The Roman Empire
    2. Barbarism
    3. Barbarism
    4. The Arab conquests
    5. Pirenne Thesis
    6. Charlemagne
    7. Christian Diversity
    8. The Papacy
    9. St. Patrick (probably the myth, but best to know both sides of the story)
    10. The Origins of Islam.

And we only have to do one? It is ridiculously easy. Personally, I'm studying Islam and St. Paddy to give myself a small bit of choice.

Good luck to everyone. :)

I'm going to do the origins of Islam too. It's handy being able to prepare for something specific, especially given the amount of stuff we covered in both parts of the course.

• Advertisement

Anyone else doing ancient Philosophy tomorrow? dreading it!!! I'm focusing on Aristotle for western philosphy but for east, haven't a clue, thinking of just having a read of the confucianism and taoism document on blackboard, how's everyone else faring? does anyone know what the format of the exam is like?

Oh and for barbarism and christianity tomorrow, i'm learning St. Patrick, Charlemagne and the fall of the western of Roman Empire. Still have to start though, have just been procastinating the entire day printing off information on these topics, which just lulled me in to a false sense of activity :(

Brimmy wrote:
    It's not that I didn't bother to attend, I was sick for the past few weeks and couldn't even get out of bed, I had to get a load of extensions up until last week and this week which has ****ed up my studying. Fall of Rome eh... there's a lot in it but I know most of it ...Hmm..

Hard luck.

Must say barbarism and christianity was ridiculously easy......

Homer now awaits!

B&C was nice, Patrick. oh yeah! :cool:

Advertisement