Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Modem problem

Options
  • 12-12-2006 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

I got a Belkin Adsl2+ modem with wireless G router from Harvey Normans and I cant get the damb thing working at all.I am with BT broadband and want to get rid of the crappy Zyxel modem so saw really good reviews of this one.I connect everything up to my built in ethernet port on my motherboard (ASUS A8N SLI) fine and get to the config wizard on 192.168.1.2 and enter all my details but I cannot get a connection.The DSL led and all the other Leds are on so Im obviously doing something wrong or is it with BT.I was on hold to their tech support for nearly a hour tonight and had to give up as I was loosing the will to live.Any help would be great.Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Did you enter your correct username /password

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Yeah,and I doubled checked just to make sure I had it correct.I plugged back in the Zyxel and went to the config to enter the username and password and both were correct.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

aaronm13 wrote:
    I got a Belkin Adsl2+ modem with wireless G router from Harvey Normans and I cant get the damb thing working at all.I am with BT broadband and want to get rid of the crappy Zyxel modem so saw really good reviews of this one.I connect everything up to my built in ethernet port on my motherboard (ASUS A8N SLI) fine and get to the config wizard on 192.168.1.2 and enter all my details but I cannot get a connection.The DSL led and all the other Leds are on so Im obviously doing something wrong or is it with BT.I was on hold to their tech support for nearly a hour tonight and had to give up as I was loosing the will to live.Any help would be great.Thanks

There is little point in ringing BT support as they like most other isps will not support a router that they have not supplied.

Are you sure you have inserted the correct settings as below:

Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

dub45 wrote:
    There is little point in ringing BT support as they like most other isps will not support a router that they have not supplied.

Are you sure you have inserted the correct settings as below:

Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

I'll give it a try with those settings,thanks.

No joy with those dub and the light on the modum turned red instead of green.Some things you mentioned are not the options,he is what I get.

WAN CONNECTION TYPE. (I select PPPoe) is this correct.

Service Name: not sure what to put here (BT.IOL)?
    VPI/VCI: /
    ENCAPSULATION: LLC or VC/MUX
    MTU: 1432
    DIAL ON DEMAND
    USE STATIC IP ADDRESS (these both have boxes that are unchecked)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

aaronm13 wrote:
    No joy with those dub and the light on the modum turned red instead of green.Some things you mentioned are not the options,he is what I get.

WAN CONNECTION TYPE. (I select PPPoe) is this correct.

Service Name: not sure what to put here (BT.IOL)?
    VPI/VCI: /
    ENCAPSULATION: LLC or VC/MUX
    MTU: 1432
    DIAL ON DEMAND
    USE STATIC IP ADDRESS (these both have boxes that are unchecked)

Could you let us have the model no? I am not familiar with the Belkin models and that way I can have a look at the handbook on the Belkin site.

dub45 wrote:
    Could you let us have the model no? I am not familiar with the Belkin models and that way I can have a look at the handbook on the Belkin site.

It's a ADSL2+ Modem with high speed mode wireless G router.Model #F5D7633-4

heres a link

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3L8W&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=Belkin+ADSL+Modem+with+Wireless+G+Router&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What is wrong with zyXEL? I've heard a few here complain. but have not seen a specific detailed problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭swoofer

For what it is worth I am experimenting with a netgrear wireless and the very first mistake I made was with the PW. NB its important it ends in iolbb, the tendency is to use .ie out of habit.

Next thing is to set to dynamic ip as it is not static, also make sure the other modem is unplugged etc. Then check network connections, u have to use ethernet cable. I have xp pro and i get 2 lots of cable unplugged.

When you ask it to connect wait a bit as it is not instant. Mine has gone belly up again today but I am messing so much I am not surprised. I did get it to work and hooked up the laptop.

after all this u are probably flying.

i am still waiting for my wireless thingy from bt so got fed up and bought the netgear but the best by all accounts is netopia.

good luck

gb--

Ok Finally got this this kinda running.Its just dropping connection all the time and the only way I can get it to re connect is to power off and on.Got it going with a bit from everyones advice so thanks to everyone for your help.Think I will be sticking with BT's modem for the time being.Think I will be taking this piece of sh1t back and wrapping it around Harveys neck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Eircom starter kit, Netopia 2247 from PC World, a steal at €25, got it going in 2mins., no problems at all, running 24/7 since sept.

Advertisement