Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most popular books 2

Options
  • 12-12-2006 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

I'm currently building up a book collection. I left out a lot of popular books in my last poll and decided to add another list. A lot of these books have been mentioned in the thread above in relation to what books to read.

To date my favourite book is the Life of Pi which I would give 9/10
    Have not mentioned it in this poll as I'm keen to note what your favourite books are from the books I have not read.

Your favourite book 56 votes

To Kill a Mocking Bird
    0% 0 votes
    100 Years of solitude by Marquey
    26% 15 votes
    Brave New World by Huxley
    5% 3 votes
    Of Mice and Men by Stenbeck
    5% 3 votes
    The Alchemist by Coehlo
    12% 7 votes
    The Sea by Banville
    10% 6 votes
    Crime & Punishment by Dostoyevsky
    0% 0 votes
    Darkness at Noon by Koestle
    21% 12 votes
    The Stand by Stephen King
    0% 0 votes
    5 People you meet in Heaven by Albom
    17% 10 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I was about to vote for Darkness at Noon, until I saw that Brave New World was on the poll too. Not much between them.

Brave New World is along the lines of 1984. It will leave you with a dark mental hangover.

Darkness at Noon is a topical-ish read what with the Russian spy poisoning in the news the past few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Voted for the Stand as it's the only one I've read out of the list! I gotta get me some more books

edit: Tried to read Crime and Punishment but it wasn't for me at all. It was a struggle to get through the first 50 pages so I just stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Haven't read enough of them to know which is 'best' but The Stand and Crime and Punishment were both excellent imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

I voted for 100 years of solitude by Garcia Marquez as it was my favourite of all these (I also really like one of his other books, Love in the time of cholera) -- Brave new world and Mockingbird are really good too though.

I bought The Sea about 5 months ago and it's still sitting on my desk waiting to be read... I will get around to it one of these days though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Voted for the Stand as it's the only one I've read out of the list!

Same here. I haven't read any of Crime and Punishment but I'm not a fan of any Russian literature that I've read.

Goes to show you how many great books are out there when I would consider myself well read but haven't read these classics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

I've only read "5 people you meet in heaven" out of all them so i went for that. The fact that i finished it goes a long way even if it really short.

i thought for sure i'd be voting for Catch-22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

I see the Stand has 5 votes! Is that because its such a good book compared to the others or its the only book the 5 voters have read which is why they selected it!

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Lexus1976 wrote:
    I see the Stand has 5 votes! Is that because its such a good book compared to the others or its the only book the 5 voters have read which is why they selected it!

What do you think?

Well despite my post, I didn't vote. I think you should have read at least 80% of them before voting. I'm a Biologist and for me the first half of the Stand in particular was excellent. Kings' portrayal of the escape and spread of a highly infectious disease was incredibly rich and accurate. The second half of the book was an excellent portrayal of good versus evil and the exploration of that theme. Brilliant. I think anyone would find that book brilliant. The complete and unabridged version is overlong in places but still serves well to see how King develops certain characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Yeah, I think a lot of people look down on The Stand because it's "only" Stephen King. It's a damn fine book, very well written and unlike the majority of books I read, I actually gave a damn about the characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

I generally dont get why King is looked down upon so much, he has some great books especially the ones he wrote in the 70's/ 80's.

If you're going to get The Stand make sure you get the uncut version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Of the few that I've read:

Of Mice and Men is a good book, although my enjoyment of it was probably diminished by the fact that I was studying it for the Leaving Cert. I love Steinbeck's prose (East of Eden is magnificent) but it is way too short to be more than a really good read, though.

I hated Brave New World, found it very tedious and dull, even if I quite liked the idea of the novel. Well, 'hate' is most certainly an exagerration, and the book certainly has its merits, but it didn't pass the most crucial test - enjoyment.

Crime & Punishment is the best novel I have ever read: it's absolutely fantastic - full of suspense, psychological exploration, brilliantly unlikeable characters. The murder scene is the best passage of literature I've ever come across. So, obviously, I'll choose this as my favourite from these choices.

I read To Kill A Mockingbird ages ago, but can't remember much of it.

Thanks for your comments will purchase some of these this weekend. Were's the cheapest place to buy books at the moment besides online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I haven't read the majority of books on that list but voted To Kill a Mocking Bird. Absolutely loved it.

Have only read To Kill a Mocking Bird from this list so far. Heading to Borders at lunch to purchase the rest of them :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Have only read Of Mice and Men from that list, absolutely hated it. Very tedious and boring, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

5 people you meet in heaven is amazing - it touches the soul. It's gone all around our office (and its rarely we all agree on the same type of book!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Crime and Punishment. It feels like reading a vacuum but afterwards it's like a weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Crime and punishment. John, I'd recommend you read it as I've been irritated by other Russian writers before (War and Peace anyone?) but I found Crime and Punishment to be in a league of it's own.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

There are a couple of them that I haven't read, but I voted for Crime & Punishment (although it was a close call with 100 Years of Solitude). The others are genuinely great books though, unlike some of the selections in the previous poll which in my opinion were average and overrated.

Dam I still have to read 8 of these books....

• Advertisement
Advertisement