Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window problems

Options
  • 13-12-2006 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering what to do with my windows.

My house was built 8 years ago and has typical white double glazing windows. Most of them don't close properly and one has a broken bracket. The problem is that they open to the left which is ok but as the hinge mechanisms are on the right side top above and bottom underneath. So as the right hand edge has no hinge, large gaps (>5mm ) have developed on the right hand side.

There seems to be a design fault with the hinges as they appear weak and prevent the right hand side from closing correctly.

What would be the best course of action to take? Is it possible to get stronger hinges or attach some sort of handle on the right hand side?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Who supplied the windows?
    Some suppliers (Senator) have 10 year warranty.
    Ive noticed that the super fancy slidy hinges they use these days are all well and good in the showroom, but in the real world they simply cannot stand up to the abuse they receive.
    Ive already had one window open mechanism changed as it "caught" when closing and buckled itself rightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

Sounds like you are having problems like me... see the link below for 10 year guarantee issue... btw my problem is not with senator windows - from what I hear they are quite good at fixing any problems but will only work on their own windows

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055028354

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The windows came with the house. I was on to homebond previously but they say that only structural damage is covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

You will get nowhere with homebond. Make a list of any say twenty problems in your house that could happen then ring homebond and ask if they cover any of them. I think I already know the answer but good luck.

Advertisement