Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair!

• 13-12-2006 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

I've been growing my hair (i.e. haven't been to a barber) for about 9 months or so. The plan was to grow it long but it just seems to go up and out... My hair is quite thick and fairly curly and its getting a bit ridiculous and dangerously mulletty now. I think people are staring - I think I feel like those big-boobed girls must feel... :D

Anyways, I was wondering, if I go to a decent barber/hairdresser, is there any chance I might be able to get it thinned out or straightened and looking ok without going too overboard on looks or getting it cut really short? I wouldn't mind having it properly curled either. Basically I'm wondering how much I can trust an average hairdresser to make something nice out of a mass of untidy hair. I'm not usually one for taking too much notice of my appearance. I cringe at the thought of getting a "hairdo" but this is totally getting out of hand!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sad to say but the answer is no. If you start getting it cut now you'll only be in for worse trouble later. Just grin and bear it. Only way. A Mate of mine who has really curly hair has been growing for just over a year now. Takes really good care of it. Its after going from the mad horrible afro look into really excellent curls.

I had a horrible s shape in my hair. Thankfully it straightened out a bit after 5 years or so lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bstatic

I also have curly hair but I don't know how bad yours is, mine is wiry, wavy rough, dry, damaged and crap hair. So I came to a dilemma like yourself after growing it out. I mean you can't leave it as it is!

Like you said you're not one for taking much notice of you're appearance, so straightening might not be for you as it requires spending bout 20 mins or so to get it all done. I myself now own and straightener and use it every day but its starting to piss me off now cos I just can't be arsed anymore.

But if you can pull it off I'd go for a curly style like the guy from the kooks has, I think he has a cool haircut. It would be definitely less manageable than the straight look and all you'd probably have to use is some curl defining wax depending on your hair style.

Master of the Universe

okay, I admit it, I have a straightener too :o

Dont use it every day though. Just twice a week after I give it a wash. Minimize the damage! The slaggings I get whenever I mention that to anyone lol

Its too long to have any other way but razor straight though. I have to use it at this point. no other option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Fu|ck it, I need to get me a straightner too! OP, perhaps you should go to a hairdresser and tell them your intentions. Go to one a female friend or relative has used a lot and you know is good. The layers in your hair will need to grow to the same length which it probably isn't if you've ever had your hair thinned with one of those funny looking scissors. They say that for maintence you should get your hair cut every two months, and if your growing it three? A wee trim every now and again will tidy it up a bit and sort out the mullet!!

Master of the Universe

dont listen to Brian! lol. The worst thing you can do when growing your hair out is cut it. Okay, you have a split end trim every once and a while. I do this every 4-6 months. But in the early stages, which you are in, do NOT cut it. Its really the worst mistake you can make. Its the mistake most people make actually. Which basically results in them shaving their head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bstatic

o1s1n wrote:
    okay, I admit it, I have a straightener too :o

Dont use it every day though. Just twice a week after I give it a wash. Minimize the damage! The slaggings I get whenever I mention that to anyone lol

Its too long to have any other way but razor straight though. I have to use it at this point. no other option!

Sorry, had to laugh a bit when I read this!
    Not laughing at you but laughing with you!
    I get the slaggings too, but in my college course at the moment nobody knows I straighten my hair, they all just think its straight. I was contemplating going in after christmas with it all curly as it is normally, but jaysus the looks I'd get!

Also you said about damage, does it just damage the hair or can it affect the follicle? i.e. could it cause baldness?

Master of the Universe

It wouldnt damage the root no. No baldness ;) anuway, if you have curly thick hair your chances of going bald are even slimmer. It Mainly damages the hair toward the ends. Make sure you use a heat spray every time you use it. Actually makes your hair nicer as the moisture from the spray gets locked into your hair.
    I would basically use it sparingly. Its taken me about 6 years to grow my hair this long. I really am paranoid about fuking it up.

Anyway, that's me officially after turning into a girl lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Haha, thanks for the excellent responses. Hard to know whether to go straight or curly. I might get the mullet part lopped off for the moment and then sit and wait to see what happens. I suspect that if I get it straightened it'll still be too thick and short to start growing down, as opposed to out, so maybe I'll go with the curls'n'wax option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

OMG! metro metro man! This thread horrifies me! :D

B Static: Your hair sounds like its in sh1te condition. Invest in a good conditioning mask and use it once a week. Use a heat spray and blow dry it out straight while brushing before using a straightener. ANY girl can show you how.

OP: You can get your hair chemically straightened in an afro hair dressers. Try Moore St./ Parnell in Dublin. Ooh.. or dread it! Also, mullets = bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Lil Kitten wrote:
    OMG! metro metro man! This thread horrifies me! :D

Argh! That is NOT me. Guess I'll need to tread a fine line between metro and downright sh1te hair though :)
    Also, mullets = bad.

Yup, hence the needing to do something about it that doesn't involve it getting shorn off.

Master of the Universe

Lil Kitten wrote:
    OP: You can get your hair chemically straightened in an afro hair dressers..

If he wants to destroy his hair, that's one sure way of doing it :eek:

As long as you condition it it's grand

Master of the Universe

note the word chemical.

strong chemicals at that.
    Its not a good idea.

http://www.mlhh.org/ for all your mens long hair needs ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Trying to grow my hair out a bit at the moment too. I don't want it really long just alot longer than I usually have it, i.e. practically shaved. The last time I tried this was a bit of a disaster but going much better so far, although it's starting to get pretty messy now but I don't care. Thank god for beanies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Fu|ck it, I need to get me a straightner too! OP, perhaps you should go to a hairdresser and tell them your intentions. Go to one a female friend or relative has used a lot and you know is good. The layers in your hair will need to grow to the same length which it probably isn't if you've ever had your hair thinned with one of those funny looking scissors. They say that for maintence you should get your hair cut every two months, and if your growing it three? A wee trim every now and again will tidy it up a bit and sort out the mullet!!

How's your hair these days bardy?

I advise a cut every 2 months or so, growing or grown, as it were. Split ends can get really annoying after a certain period.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/LarsenB/DSCN1509.jpg thats just after a cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I <3 this thread :)

o1s1n, I had my hair chemically straightened. Twas grand. Was mad, cos when they first do it, its sticks out straight like the way Afro hair does. ha! Once you brush it a bit and condition it, its lovely. Doesn't curl in the rain or anything.

Stopped doing it cos place in Moore st. smelled of pee, loads of lil black kids running around the place, crawling all over you. To use toilet you had to go up through apartment and an old black dude would be sitting in a chair watching Tv. The lady burned my forehead, and when they rinsed my hair, they used cold water n wet the back my t shirt... Needless to say, I didn't pay full price. or return. That was 5 years ago though, prob much improved now. Or else closed down by health and safety! :D

Twas an experience none the less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Under-cut it. looks nicer and gets rid of tickness.

Master of the Universe

Lil Kitten wrote:
    o1s1n, I had my hair chemically straightened. Twas grand. Was mad, cos when they first do it, its sticks out straight like the way Afro hair does. ha! Once you brush it a bit and condition it, its lovely. Doesn't curl in the rain or anything.

Stopped doing it cos place in Moore st. smelled of pee, loads of lil black kids running around the place, crawling all over you. To use toilet you had to go up through apartment and an old black dude would be sitting in a chair watching Tv. The lady burned my forehead, and when they rinsed my hair, they used cold water n wet the back my t shirt... Needless to say, I didn't pay full price. or return. That was 5 years ago though, prob much improved now. Or else closed down by health and safety! :D

Twas an experience none the less!

Well, ive heard it destroys hair? Maybe for your hair seeing as its pretty short, but if you want to have long *long* hair I deff wouldn't do it.

Undercuts are stupid looking. Well i think so anyway. They scream teen angst or something. Maybe if you're 15, but not for adults. and you're fuked if you want to grow the back and sides out at a later point. especially if it curls.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a399/o1s1n/tmpphpcdu77f.jpg my hair in twists a little while ago :D theyre out now. awh, i miss em. Cant really see the full length, comes down to around my elbows

• Advertisement

Link doesn't work. I'l put twists in again if your good ;)

Master of the Universe

I dunno...i liked them but felt disgustingly mank after about three days. I dont know how people with dreads can do it!

Advertisement