Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you spend on the other half at xmas?

• 13-12-2006 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Mrbrianmolko

Was just listening to the adrian kennedy last night and he was talking about how much people spend onthere kids at xmas. I was shocked to say the least.

Got me thinking though. How long do you spend on the other half?

Id say this xmas will cost me about 300 quid on presents im getting her, didnt plan to spend that much but its not to bad. I found out she was spending more so i had to get her more, which is stupid i guess.

BTW im in full time employment and going out with her 4 years.

What about you lot?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

We haven't worked out what we're getting each other yet. We don't do suprises because apparently I'm impossible to buy presents for. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Not really a how much type thing, but what would they like or what did they ask for. If I can afford it I would get it. Spent nearly E300 last christmas.

The present she wanted was E200 and then I got a few other bits on top of that, little things that mean something. Keeps you in the good books ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I broke-ish this Christmas because we just moved into a house. I just totalled up the stuff earlier today and came to around $200. We don't spend big amounts of each other but this year in special being in our new home and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭AnTaoiseach

I thuroughly disspprove of christmass presents and only buy cards for people.
    Its not a meanness thing, I just dont like having to worry about it.
    it's much easier to just agree with those close to you not to get anything for each other, just to spend the day together.
    I know how that seems, but....... thats just the way I am

I know this doesnt answer your question either but I felt i had to get my unimportant opinion in there anyway

P.S. obviously I dont have kids, I wouldnt last long with that attitude if I did.
    I have nieces so I'll buy them something small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I thuroughly disspprove of christmass presents and only buy cards for people.
    Its not a meanness thing, I just dont like having to worry about it.
    it's much easier to just agree with those close to you not to get anything for each other, just to spend the day together.
    I know how that seems, but....... thats just the way I am

In my family it was all small stuff between us usually. Either a few books, a bottle of drink or a dvd or something similar. Myself and my sister spent a few years exchanging a bottle of whiskey and a bottle of vodka every year. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Looks like Tiny Tim will die this year then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i feel like a cheapskate because i only spent €50 on my missus, but everything she asked for came to that amount so its not so bad. i havent a clue what she spent on me as i havent asked for anything, ill just gladly take whatever i am given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

she wanted an ould noisey exhaust for the car so i just disconnected the air filter.im a cheap bastard but shes delighted :)
    note that i didnt take out the air filter i just lossend the clips.some differance in power too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

LOL^! You being serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Myself and the girlfriend of 2 years have to far just spent what we could afford.

Last year i was after 6 months of work placement so had a rake of cash so spent a lot of it on her, about 500e's of stuff! She spent about 150 on me.

This year she's after a year of nursing work placement and im broke so its the opposoite. no idea what shes gotten me but she said its between 500 and 600! :eek:

I meanwhile will be spending a max of 150 - 200.
    The pressies for the rest of my family will be quite small as they understand, got them all great stuff too last year.

• Advertisement

jezza wrote:
    LOL^! You being serious?
    course i am:D try it;) Have you ever seen a little car that was really loud with a standerd exhaust that my friend is why its loud.Boy racers clever peoples ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Blondie86Star

Spending about €400 on him...been saving for a very long time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

350 on GPS for his car from me but I bought him loads of small things from our 1 month old son, so approx 500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Spent roughly 100 on Miss Piggy last year. Splashed out on an iron, a mop and a set of ivory tipped hammers.

I always try to go for practical yet romantic gifts, although the flymo hedge trimmer I bought her last year is still lodged quite far up my rear passage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Pighead wrote:
    although the flymo hedge trimmer I bought her last year is still lodged quite far up my rear passage.

Perhaps if you plugged it in and turned it on it would be easier to remove...

Beruthiel wrote:
    Perhaps if you plugged it in and turned it on it would be easier to remove...
    Far too early for the dirty talk babes, get back to me later after Pighead has his brekkie and we'll talk some filth.x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

300, 400 bills? jesus, its times like this i'm glad i'm single.

i'd much rather just agree to get something tiny...christmas pressys are for children imo, its stupid stressing out and burning loads of cash on christmas gifts for adults. i dont want christmas pressys (and i dont want to put my loved ones through the hassle of getting them for me) and i'd rather not go to the effort of getting them for others. at christmas i'd be delighted with a good feed and being with the loved ones.

the whole season is materialistic rubbish tbh, the only winners are the shops, banks and the paracetamol manufacturers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'm glad I'm single too, €500, there's way to much money in Ireland. If I had another have it'd be £50 max.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Sengoku79

Spent around €400 each last year, but we've agreed this year to spend €150 as we're a bit strapped, so prob around that unless I see something really cool that I know she would like.

I've spent about 34... we're both extremely broke students, he's spent a bit more than that on me... I might get him something else smallish as well but that's it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I will probably only spend around €60-70, i think my OH spent €65. We are going to be moving into our first apartment in around march april so we want to save as much as possible, however the other reason we spend so little is that we both have decent jobs and generally get what ever we want too ourselves, so christmas is more about the effort of finding each other small stocking fillers then just one big pressie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Busterpuss

i spent a lot. 650 although 380 of that is on the cc. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Car Mad wrote:
    Boy racers clever peoples ;)

The air filter is there for a reason.

Myself and herself are headin off for NYE so she got me my trip and I got her her's. Added up to €250 or thereabouts. I've got a few other bits and pieces too. Trying to save money for said trip :)

Edited - all Chistmas presents are major

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

connundrum wrote:

she'll realise that when her engine ingests some nice pieces of dust, gravel or stones during their "clever peoples" burnoff/doughnut sessions :D

Im single this year so have very few pressies but before I never tended to spend more then €50-100 depending what she wanted, never been with very materialistic girls, the lurve has always been more important :)

Busterpuss wrote:
    i spent a lot. 650 although 380 of that is on the cc. :o
    crazy stuff, you want your head checked mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Busterpuss

ferdi wrote:
    crazy stuff, you want your head checked mate.

maybe i do but he's worth it and i kno he will love it. and i wont be doin it again next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Approx €450 ~ but considering her b-day was in November and I took her to Paris for that she's doing pretty well for herself. Dont know what she spent on me.

This wouldnt be a regular occurrance, I kind of wanted to spoil her a bit because this is the first time i'm working properly, out of college, and she looked after me when nessecary through college. That coupled with the fact that work should be taking me out of the country next year so I wont see her for about 8 or more month out of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

His and my birthday are just before Christmas (one after the other)...and then there's Christmas a few days after.

Well i'm planning two nice gifts for himself for his birthday which will come to about 350 euro and then Christmas, i've bought a few small things, so probably adds up to 400 or 500 if i decided to buy something else for him for Christmas in the mean time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well I went mad last year and bought her an iPod video, a new phone, some stuff from Lush, boots and went halves with her on a jacket. I reckon it must have been up around €600+.

This year I'm being more reserved and have bought her a smelly box set from The Body Shop, some perfume she was really after and a €180 pair of boots from Buffalo. I'm trying to think of one or two more small things I can get. So about half of what I spent last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭bugler

I'm with my girlfriend just under a year. I've spent over €500 on her so far, and expect that to reach maybe €600 by the time Xmas day is here. I'm not a monied man by any means either, but who cares.

I know she has spent around the same amount on me, even though she doesn't know I know. I probably started all this by spending €500+ on a birthday present for her in the Summer, so it's an upward spiral :-)

I can't agree with those who spend little or nothing at all on gifts at Christmas. Don't you like receiving and giving presents? They don't have to be expensive to be good of course, but often they are.

eo980 wrote:
    Well I went mad last year and bought her an iPod video, a new phone, some stuff from Lush, boots and went halves with her on a jacket. I reckon it must have been up around €600+.

This year I'm being more reserved and have bought her a smelly box set from The Body Shop, some perfume she was really after and a €180 pair of boots from Buffalo. I'm trying to think of one or two more small things I can get. So about half of what I spent last year.
    so 600 quid last year down to 300 this year. By Pigheads calculations you'll be buying her 10 Euro worth of Phone Credit by the year 2011. God help her in 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Pighead wrote:
    so 600 quid last year down to 300 this year. By Pigheads calculations you'll be buying her 10 Euro worth of Phone Credit by the year 2011. God help her in 2020.

By my estimations he'll be dumped by St. Stephen's Day!!!!!!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Kenny 5 wrote:
    By my estimations he'll be dumped by St. Stephen's Day!!!!!!! :p

I know a few wimmens who will volunteer their services should such and event occur. As long as the presents stay at last year's level! ;)

Pighead wrote:

Well not really Pighead, she's a lovely lady and it was on her instructions that I was to spend feck all this year because.......................................... I'm saving to buy somewhere with her. So technically, I'm not really spending less, if anything a hell of alot more!
    She has me trapped Pigman, what will I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭carpenoctem

:eek: I've only spent about 90 - 100 euro on my partner, which is possibly more than I should have cause he gets way embarassed when he recieves a gift he knows is expensive! But the main gift was more expensive than it looks so I think I'll get away with it... ;)

Having said that, I wouldn't want him to spend more than that on me either, I still think the main thing is that we'll be with eachother, a little meaningful gift is just a bonus... Christmas makes people all romantic, huh? :rolleyes:

And on the topic of bad Christmas giftf, my friend had just moved in with her new partner 2 years ago and recieved a (pink) hoover for Christmas. I think her partner might still be apologising for that... :cool:

• Advertisement

Christmas makes people all romantic, huh? :rolleyes:
    providing your definition of romance is spending loads of cash on material goods, then yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

First time in a while that I don't have another half at Christmas. Yay no expense! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

connundrum wrote:
    Added up to €250 or thereabouts. I've got a few other bits and pieces too but nothing major. Trying to save money for said trip :)

Nothing Major, ey? Just as well I kept the receipts for the pressies I got you! I'll be going back for refunds and buying me-self something nice with all that extra cash!!!!!

pclancy wrote:
    she'll realise that when her engine ingests some nice pieces of dust, gravel or stones during their "clever peoples" burnoff/doughnut sessions :D

Im single this year so have very few pressies but before I never tended to spend more then €50-100 depending what she wanted, never been with very materialistic girls, the lurve has always been more important :)

ah shur shel cross that bridge when she comes to it:rolleyes: as i said i didnt take it out I only loosened the clips theres no dust getting into that;)
    i mite save up a few euro for an induction kit but you know i couldnt be arsed:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I've probably spent about 400. He wanted a new phone which cost 80 (using my upgrade) and I got him a psp with a few games as a surprise as he has been going on about them. We also give each other a stocking full of tack, but tack that means something to us (eg reminders of things that have happened during the year)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Car Mad wrote:
    course i am:D try it;) Have you ever seen a little car that was really loud with a standerd exhaust that my friend is why its loud.Boy racers clever peoples ;)
    Lol ain't that a KNN? They pick up all kinds of dirt and ruin your cars engine though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

This thread really gets to me as I have never been kissed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

^Ah here, lads, someone give her a kiss, FFS.
    eo980 wrote:

Hehe you could give her some laundry :p

My girlie and I had agreed a rough €50 budget but she went over it and then told me how much she went over it (she pretty much doubled it), but still said to me "oh no you shouldn't go over the €50 for me"! Haha if she really wanted me not to she could've kept it a secret that she'd went over :rolleyes:

God I'm so broke though :(

^Ah here, lads, someone give her a kiss, FFS.

Hehe you could give her some laundry :p

My girlie and I had agreed a rough €50 budget but she went over it and then told me how much she went over it (she pretty much doubled it), but still said to me "oh no you shouldn't go over the €50 for me"! Haha if she really wanted me not to she could've kept it a secret that she'd went over :rolleyes:

God I'm so broke though :(

Aye, their not very good at sticking to agreements!!!

Hmnnn I have lots of dirty underwear.......... I wonder would she appreciate the sentiment?! Heh Heh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I think I spent close to €600 last year, but then again, I do go completely insane at Christmas :D Tiz my fav time of the year because I love buying presents :) This year though I won't be spending anywhere near that coz we're buying an apartment in April so we're trying to save, so prob somewhere around the €60 mark. The temptation to spend more though is there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Trilla wrote:
    This thread really gets to me as I have never been kissed :(

join the club.. or better yet, start our own club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

...And the fupping backstards in work didn't give me any hours this week, I've just found out. Gonna be a lean Christmas for everyone I'm buying for... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PokerChild

Depends on what she (or I think...) she wants.

Last year I spent days running around Dublin trying to pick up some boots she had seen in October and admired. 150 squidoohbills. then on top 200 BT vouchers/card.

If she desired a lap top I'd get it. What ever (within reason.. :) )puts a big smile on her face on the day tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It's the thought, not the amount. And after all, isn't it someone else's birthday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Santa clauses birthday!!!!!!!

Edit: But seriously €600 is a little too much in my books.
    One of my mates spent €1000 on a watch for his girlfriend two years ago on their first christmas together and pretty much forced her to spend the same on him... These people are called chumps!

• Advertisement
Advertisement