Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peak of Geminid meteor shower set to dazzle

Options
  • 13-12-2006 1:23am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The annual Geminid meteor display is expected to peak on Wednesday night.
    With up to 100 meteors per hour visible from a dark site, the Geminids rival the Perseids in August for the title of best meteor display of the year.
    The paths of Geminid meteors appear to point back to a spot near the bright stars Castor and Pollux in the constellation Gemini, giving the shower its name.

For observers at mid-northern latitudes, this spot – called the radiant – will be almost directly overhead between 0100 and 0200 local time the night of 13–14 December, when the display should reach its peak. But the entire meteor shower runs from 6 to 18 December.
    Observers in the southern hemisphere can spot some Geminid meteors, but will not see nearly as rich a display as those in the northern hemisphere.

Dried-up comet?

Although the meteors will point back towards Gemini, they can appear anywhere in the sky. For the best results, do not ..................

dn10777-1_250.jpg
    A Geminid meteor streaks across the sky
    against a background of star trails in this
    long-exposure image taken in 1985
    (Image: Jimmy Westlake)

Continue Reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

cool, hope it's not going to be like the Leonid meteor shower, that was a big let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i always read about them then forget about them and juststart watching new tv shows :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There was lots of fast-moving clouds, but also clear spells in Dublin last night. I didn't look for long, but I did go out a few times and looked from my window. I saw some, but very few.

Advertisement