Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Managing a dozen accounts (WinXP Pro)

• 13-12-2006 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd ask for some advice. I am OK with PC and Win Xp (have t since 2001 but I am a sole user so do not know a lot (or should I say almost anything) about creating and managing multiple accounts.
    I was asked to create accounts for a dozen or more (steroid) kids. Now, opening an account and setting it to be limited is easy but I would like to know how does an admin, limit all other users to say access the Control Pannel, voice controls and even change the resolution! I did a few searches but came up with nothing much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

Go into Start menu and type "gpedit.msc" in the Run dialog box and press enter. What you see now is the Group Policy Editor. Here you can set lots of restrictions on groups of users and they include the ones you mention. Have fun! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Also be very carefull though, you can mess up your computer by locking down some services that you actually need.

Can you not get them so share one account?

You can also get these cards you slot into your PC that Reset your PC everytime you reboot it. They are mostly used to Net Cafes and such like where people will use the PC install programs.

Or an other solution would be to let them have full access to the PC and just image it every time they mess it up. This is probably the easiest solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Eep, Group Policy is not for the faint-of heart. It's all well and good when you're disabling loads of stuff and thinking that the machine is going to be super secure, but then you log in as yourself and realise you can't do anything either.

At a local level (i.e. when dealing with just one machine), it's tough to use group policy to disable stuff for one group of people, but not for another. Group Policy really shines when used at a domain level - you can lock down machines based on group membership.

OP - if you have a list of specific things you'd like the kids to not be able to do, we may be able to give you a hand. However, it may lock you out of specific functions (or require you to workaround them if you need them).

Advertisement