Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fettercairn????

• 13-12-2006 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

Ill keep this short and sweet - can anybody tell me what the Fettercairn area is like? Honest opinions needed for this one, because I know absolutely nothing about the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

It's all relative really. It's not the worst part of Tallaght but it's pretty bad. I grew up in Springfield so know the area pretty well. Where are you from? It's similar to Neilstown and the likes. To be honest I wouldn't ever dream of living there but each to their own...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Had my eye on a house there, the present bid seemed too good to be true.... Im not from the area hence the query

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It can be sketchy. Not the worst place in Tallaght but nowhere near the best. I wouldn't buy a house there and I'm from Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ditto. if your gonna buy in tallaght id go for old bawn, seskin view, millbrooklawns , aylsbury, mountain park or watergate . once you get outside those areas it gets pretty rough.

fettercairns up there with killinarden and jobstown, though in fairness not as bad in recent years cause of all the people selling up to profit from their equity. sad fact is anyone who wants a house in dublin now needs to buy in these areas so theres a weird kinda social darwinism going on. pretty much the only areas ya can get a gaff for less the 300grand

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

ditto. if your gonna buy in tallaght id go for old bawn, seskin view, millbrooklawns , aylsbury, mountain park or watergate . once you get outside those areas it gets pretty rough.

There's a lot more nice areas - Belgard, Kingswood, Cairnwood, Firhouse, Kilnamanagh, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I wouldn't buy a house in Fettercairn... Have you actually been there? Just drive through it and you won't want to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

fettercairn what a touchy subject, i lived there for 18 years with my parents, i am now living in kingswood..i would definitly NOT buy a house in fettercairn, unless you like young thugs stealing you car, breaking into your home, graffiting your garden walls, imagine what sort of s.c.u.m bags your children will have to sit with in class... no offense to st Marks school that is one of the finnest! but alot of these thugs end up going to st Aidans school because st marks refuse to take them in & i could'nt blame them... i woud not accept a house up there even if it it was offered to me as a present!!
    my next door neibhour on both side of my parents house had their cars stolen not just once but many a times! and one time a 57year old man went out and tackle one of them and he ended up in hospital getting stiches in the back of the head he was hit with a crow bar from behind!

Fettercairn is definitaly a no go area!
    if you wanna know anything else about the place stepbar jus giv me a shout.

i do apolagise if i affended anyone from the area, but you know yourself how bad it is.. it is desperate

Fettercairn is a 50:50 area. You have an equal chance of having great neighbours as you do of having complete scumbags who make your life hell.

You also have a higher chance of stolen cars, burglary, stolen mail, general heckling and abuse, vandalism and random violence. You may also find yourself without a bus service many evenings because the drivers refuse to go down that far, that is of course if you'd want to share the bus with the scumbags who may get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

spongbob wrote:
    but alot of these thugs end up going to st Aidans school because st marks refuse to take them in & i could'nt blame them...

You're so full of ****e. St Marks has a policy, probably for the last 20 years or so, of giving priority to students who attended St Marks National School. They also had a policy, not sure if they still do, of assigning places to a student if that student already has or had a family member attending that school. If there's any places left after this they're giving out at random to other students, who may be from Fettercairn or anywhere else.

St. Aidans, a much newer school, doesn't have such a policy and that's why the majority of secondary school students from Fettercairn attend there. There's no cross the board ban on kids from Fettercairn nor will there ever be one.

So before you come and blatantly tar an area with the one brush with such blatant inaccuracies and tabloid hsyteria encure your facts are correct.