Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of your loose change

Options
  • 13-12-2006 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I didnt know what category to put this under - this one was about the best I could find. Anyway... there are these machines around where you can dump all your loose cents into and get back more manageable euros. does anyone know what these machines are called or what company supplies them, or what the website is??? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think they are called Coinstar, some of them in the Eurospars but probably other shops also. You have to pay a service fee for the coins changed but its not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭Archeron

I've used these and the service charge is 9.5%. Its not too bad when you have a big giant bag full of copper coins and 10c/20c pieces. I would usually be greedy and take out the €2 and €1 coins (why pay nearly 10% of something you can spend easily??).

Its a great feeling watching the little display adding up the coins as the figure gets higher and higher and higher....

Nothing neats walking out of a Spar with a couple of hundred euro and a big bag of (seemingly) free shopping. First time I used the machine I got €600 from my rucksack full of change.

I think the one I used was called Coin Express, it was in a Londis/texaco.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Strange - people used complain when the banks charged for this service...

parsi wrote:
    Strange - people used complain when the banks charged for this service...

Perhaps if I had to sort it all out into seperate bags, each completely counted and sorted by coin type and THEN i got charged I would be annoyed, but when you can just empty a big bag of mixed coins in and the machine sorts it, then its good value. Down to the person I suppose, some people still think the 9.5% is steep, but I personally cant stand sorting change, so to each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm sure you can get a kid to do it for some sweets. A lot cheaper than the 9.5% and it'll keep the child quiet for a few hours too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Archeron wrote:
    I've used these and the service charge is 9.5%. Its not too bad when you have a big giant bag full of copper coins and 10c/20c pieces. I would usually be greedy and take out the €2 and €1 coins (why pay nearly 10% of something you can spend easily??).

Its a great feeling watching the little display adding up the coins as the figure gets higher and higher and higher....

Nothing neats walking out of a Spar with a couple of hundred euro and a big bag of (seemingly) free shopping. First time I used the machine I got €600 from my rucksack full of change.

I'm not calling you a liar, but your a liar. €600 is very heavy, much too heavy for a rucksack to hold, especially if you don't have €1 or €2 coins in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

Noelie wrote:
    I'm not calling you a liar, but your a liar. €600 is very heavy, much too heavy for a rucksack to hold, especially if you don't have €1 or €2 coins in it.

Well it's 3000 20c's or even at best 1200 50c's. You'd be there for ages feeding them in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Sleepy wrote:
    I'm sure you can get a kid to do it for some sweets. A lot cheaper than the 9.5% and it'll keep the child quiet for a few hours too!

My stepdaughter charges 10%..... but I guess we are buying a couple of hours peace and quiet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

just take a sickday once every 6 months ;)
    you get paid by work and you get all the money youve added up.

your own bank will allow you to lodge as much bagged coin as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Archeron wrote:

So you paid them €57 in commission??!!!! :eek:

• Advertisement

Noelie wrote:

Okay, it was in a few separate sessions over the course of 2 days one weekend about 4 months ago. I think it was 4 trips in total if you want to be a nit picker, and I got about €150 each time. Would you like me to see if I can get CCTV footage to prove it?? Would you like the demensions of my ruck sack??? It was my first time using the machine. God, I didnt realize that people would be so flipping pedantic.

Okay, lets be more precise. The first time I used the machine (Please note that by "first time" I mean the first time I encountered one of these machines and used it over a period of a few days to get rid of all my change) I got about €600 in total from my combined visits. That okay?

Whats with the name calling Noelie? I do NOT appreciate being called a liar by complete strangers. I simply tried to offer some advice to the OP on my experience with these devices. If you want to start randomly calling people names, then feck off and start a thread in the thunderdome where it belongs.

MOH wrote:
    So you paid them €57 in commission??!!!! :eek:

Yeah. :o
    I dont really mind though, I have this thing about handling money. I think its really disgusting, and there nothing I hate more than picking through coins and sorting them out, I always feel filthy after doing it. Its actually better for me though, because I used to get my brother to do it, and he charged 15% so in the long run, I'm making a saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

It's hardly name calling, I said you had lied about getting 600 euro out of the machine you FIRST time using it and you yourself have now agreed that you used it four times to get that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Whether or not he lied, was ecomonic with the truth or consolidated the story doesn't really matter does it. Even if you want to view it as a lie, it's not something earth shattering or a massive lie.

RELAX...

As for the machine's, I haven't used them, I don't want to pay the commision I'll spend an hour in front of the TV, bag the coins and give them to the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Why not buy a coin counter in Dunnes Stores? They're only €20.

Advertisement