Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk your wi-fi and support boards.ie!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its a linksys with special firmware non ???

is there any chance that Fon and the DD-WRT project could team up ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I presume that dosen't work for rural based dial up??:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

no, it's a specially designed and built router - see http://www.fon.com/ .

there's no hard reason why FON and dd-wrt can't link up. There is some history there.

For FON to work, it needs you to have broadband :-(

Ah! it used to be a linksys till recently though !

Yup it was, but our new one lets us do more stuff, and looks a lot nicer. New stuff includes being able to have two wireless networks on the one box, one for public use (the FON one) which is firewalled from the rest of the network and a private network which you can use like a regular wi-fi router.

• Advertisement

but our new one lets us do more stuff, and looks a lot nicer. New stuff includes being able to have two wireless networks on the one box

Ah! cabrón !?! . Any sign of Fón getting a few blocks of 076 numbers while they are at it ?? . The idea of having an 076 Fón number allocated to an ap and then allocating an extension on the number to a Fónero while they are on-net at an AP would be nice, especially with a DHCP server doing the niceties for the Fónero !!

Splitting SSID / security is a very good way to go as long as the QoS balance between the 2 'networks' can be twiddled properly . The problem , as always, is the available uplink bandwidth although the crapola BB in this country tends to contend the downlink not the uplink so that with a 2048/256 package you may actually have more uplink available than downlink if on DSL.

Can you 'enforce' the codec in use by the client, G.711 is a bit fruity for me while G.729 is more optimal IMO, but there are others of course . The key advantage of Skype is the efficiency of their codec (+ their bloody supernodes :( ) .

you can set a cap of 512Kbps for your visiting foneros. We don't mess with people's traffic. I think myself it would be tricky to enforce a voip codec in that way.

FON is unlikely to go directly into the VoIP business, but anything is possible.

We have a handset-router combination in the market, with skype. But that is for another day ...

Advertisement