Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advanced Windows Firewall issue (formerly firewall recomendations)

Options
  • 13-12-2006 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭

Please read third post below...

Origninal message

I've had to remove Zone Alarm from the PC's on my network because it is blocking all TCP/IP activity between the computers. (cannot ping PC's).
    Its a simple home network with file sharing enabled.

Can anyone suggest a good free firewall, that will allow file sharing?

The wireless router also has its own firewall - is this enough to protect the desktop PC, obviously I need more protection on the laptop because it will be used at various wireless access points.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

What's wrong with using the built-in Windows Firewall? It works fine as far as I know. You must have Windows XP SP2 for it to be available, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Okay, after a whole week of trying to get the two computers to share files over the home network, I have identified the problem. However, I still cannot fix it.

There is a group policy controlling windows firewall, I cannot disable it, or change the settings. :mad:

It is currently blocking access over my mini network.

I am running Windows XP Home on the PC, which does not have the Group Policy editor.

Any ideas on how I can disable windows firewall, or even remove it?

BTW, I have reinstalled Zone Alarm & have allowed access from each PC to the other...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Can you not just turn it off?

deckie27 wrote:
    Can you not just turn it off?

no, the radial buttons are disabled

Can you not just turn it off? In Control Panel -- security center

OR if the is a group policy controling it. It must be comming from a domain controller. Can u dedit it on this?

Do it work if you log on locally onto the PC's?

• Advertisement

deckie27 wrote:
    Can you not just turn it off? In Control Panel -- security centre

OR if the is a group policy controlling it. It must be coming from a domain controller. Can u dedit it on this?

Do it work if you log on locally onto the PC's?

All access to the firewall is disabled.
    This is a stand alone PC, it has never been on a network or in a work group.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its something to do with windows update

a recent windows update prevents the windows firewall service from starting and you will have to do a registry hack to enable the service to start

start>run>services.msc is the service set to automatic and will it start ?

errors from event viewer please

Sponge Bob wrote:
    its something to do with windows update

a recent windows update prevents the windows firewall service from starting and you will have to do a registry hack to enable the service to start

start>run>services.msc is the service set to automatic and will it start ?

errors from event viewer please

It is set to automatic.

I have a feeling it relates to an aggressive virus attack I had about 2 months ago. Some settings are now in place which I cannot get around. Have also tried removing windows firewall...

If the service is set to automatic Change it to disabled.

Sorry I don't have xp home edition so I can't check stuff

Dec

I tried that yesterday evening, it didn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Here is the problem ( I think :D)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892199

execute the 2 commands in there in a dos prompt, eg start>run>cmd

dos window opens

1. Type the following 2 commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

REG DELETE HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Security /f

REG DELETE HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{ce166e40-1e72-45b9-94c9-3b2050e8f180} /f

The deletion of the {ce166e40-1e72-45b9-94c9-3b2050e8f180} registry subkey is an important step. This step guarantees that the default security descriptor at the time of re-importing is applied.

2. Restart the computer.

Thanks Sponge Bob, This has worked. However it appears that this is only the begining of a very long list of problems. I have been editing the firewall through the register etc (all under instruction) & have am going to have to let an IT Guru look at it. It is getting too messy dealing with file systems etc. that can potentially damage the system...

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll let you know how I get on.

Advertisement