Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiritualism in Ireland?

Options
  • 13-12-2006 5:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Dear all,

I have recently had a spiritualist experience through a medium who communicated with my "dead" grandmother and grandaunt. There was no way the medium could know my grandfather's or my grandaunt's name, but she did and while actually speaking to my grandmother she said things she could not otherwise know unless she was indeed in communication with my grandmother.

Did anyone else in here have similar experiences. I am a very sceptic individual but have stopped being so in regards to spirits and would very much like to know if there are people in Ireland in the same situation as I really doubt there are such thing as a Spiritualist Church in Ireland, unlike what happens in the UK.

Best wishes, Rui.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

My brothers, sister and mother have been in communication with a presence in our home. Basically, the presence wanted to warn them and save them from the black magic administered by our horrible paternal relatives. I haven't been home yet but they said the presence wants to talk to me. Will update here this further when/if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Welcome to the forum!

I'd still hold onto the skepticism if I were you, there are people of people out there who are not genuine and you should judge each person and experience on a case by case basis.

It can be hard to find Spiritualist Churches in Ireland but as far as I know there is one in Mount Street in Dublin, started by Brenda Ridgeway. Apart from that there are Development Circles, one of which was started through the Spirituality Forum on Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scorptech

Hi,

I would just like to let everyone know that I have recently moved back over from the UK and am in the process of promoting spiritualism in Ireland. If you would like more information, please go to www.circleofwhitelight.co.uk.

We also have started the very first spiritual newsletter which I will be making available for download in the next couple of days.

Unfortunately Brenda (who is a friend of mine) has closed down mount st. We are trying to raise funds for the first spiritualist church in Ireland, so if anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

If you need any advice or help, please feel free to email me.

Regards

Scorptech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JoJo777

I am trying to get the contact details of a reputable spiritualist medium in Ireland. I have seen the names of some mediums mentioned in other posts on this website, Carol Byrne, Enfield, John O'Shea, Firhouse and Dympna Hughes, Walkinstown. Does anyone know anything about these individuals or have any contact details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

Hi, I know Brenda too, it would be great to get a church going, its what dublin needs,perhaps we can talk about getting a fair organised or something and putting funds together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

rupamede wrote:
    Dear all,

I have recently had a spiritualist experience through a medium who communicated with my "dead" grandmother and grandaunt. There was no way the medium could know my grandfather's or my grandaunt's name, but she did and while actually speaking to my grandmother she said things she could not otherwise know unless she was indeed in communication with my grandmother.

Did anyone else in here have similar experiences. I am a very sceptic individual but have stopped being so in regards to spirits and would very much like to know if there are people in Ireland in the same situation as I really doubt there are such thing as a Spiritualist Church in Ireland, unlike what happens in the UK.

Best wishes, Rui.

I think its great that you had such a good experience which has now helped amend your views, if everyone who is very skeptical had readings like that the world would be so different,agree with 6th to still keep your wits about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jojo1981

Hi I'm Joanne & I'm new to this Site I came across it while looking up Spiritualist Church's on the Internet, Thats how I came to this site. One of your letters was the 1st for me to read. I am just finished 3 books by Mia Dolan the Medium from the Isle of Sheppy & in her book she mentioned that when she 1st realized she has a gift she went to a Spiritualist Church. Although I have no Psychic ability I am really interested in Spirits,the Afterlife & progressing my 6th sense as thats what Mia Dolan calls it & she says everybody has one. She also says that everyone is capable in tapping into it, its just a matter of practice. At the moment I am learning myself how to look at other peoples Aura's.

I would really like to meet some people with the same Interests as me, as I dont know of anybody at the moment. Its very disappointing to hear that Mount St. is closed down as I would have loved to experience it. The idea of opening up another is great, I think its exactly what we need, as it sparks a lot of Interest & because people are more open to it now a days & its more acceptable today than it ever was.

You can definitely count me in for opening a new one, also if anyone knows of a really good Medium that I can go see to get in touch with my loved ones. Thanks

Hi I am new to this Site but I am very Interested in finding a Spiritulist Church, its very disappointing to find out that Mount Street is closed down, I wonder for what reasons. I can be definitely counted in for opening up a new one. Please keep me posted.

Also is there anyone our there that could put me on to a good Medium I could go see as I want to try speak loved ones that have passed on. I dont no of anybody I only know that there are some in the City Centre but I was told they are not great.

If there is anybody that shares the same Interest in this type of thing, like in the Afterlife, Spirits & so on could you send me an e-mail.

Thanks Joanne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

Hi rupamede, there is a Spiritualist Church in Belfast, but not elsewhere in Ireland as far as I know.

The information given to you by a Medium seems excellent, but still do not accept things as absolutely true until you 'know' it to be so. I have long had my evidence as to the truth of it - as have so many others, but that is of little direct value to yourself.

We cannot and do not die. Period.
    We retain all our memories, knowledge, abilities and ambitions. These continue to flower in a different environment. We are likely to be more 'alive' than before, but so much depends on the life led.

Clearing the doctrinal rubbish out to make way for the higher thought can and does take time, so patience is the keyword.

If you can get hold of a copy of 'On the Edge of The Etheric' by Arthur Findlay, it would help your understanding of what lies ahead.

PM me if you feel it would be of use to you.

Remember that those of your own folk who have gone on ahead, know of your thinking and will help where they can, Remember too, to thank them for their efforts made on your behalf and which are likely to have been made over several years. Thank God for the opportunity to raise your consciousness.

Get on with your Life, seek truth and all will be well.

'When the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear' - this IS so.

Hi Hiorta, Thank you.

I love to read books of such kind and it would be a great privilege to chat a bit to you about your experience's as you seem to know quite a bit & I am very Interested.

Do you think I would get that book in the local Library. I am new to using this site & at this moment I dont know how to pm somebody, if you dont mind taking the time to telling me, I would appreciate it.

"When the Pupil is ready,the teacher will appear" Can I ask what you mean by this as I am thinking two things. One being " When a Higher Source thinks that you are ready, that is when you will hear the voice of your Spirit Guide" as I feel that I am ready but I do Still have a lot to learn or secondly do you mean "It is when it is ones time to cross over ".

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think this thread might be slightly better served here in the spirituality forum.

Thank you, jo-jo.
    'When the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear' is a simple yet profound truth.
    The 'teacher' may be a person, child, situation, book, song - all of which are external.
    Ideas, insights, intuition, observations, flashes of inspiration and understanding, a fresh slant on the familiar.....things from within.

'Teachers are all around you.

But, try not to imagine anything - let it come to you, as it will. Even ignore it if yiu are not sure - the same point will repeat.

I'd be pleased to help if I could. I doubt if you'll get that book in the library, but perhaps on Amazon.

Good luck

BTW, I know so very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭poster

Hi all,
    Great o see this thread revived. There are currently no spiritualist churches in the Republic but hopefully we will change that soon. I am a member of the SNU who have many churches in the UK. I am Irish and a medium living in Kildare and want to get a church going over here in the near future as I believe Ireland is ready and needs this to happen.

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

There is a world renowned medium from Scotland visiting the Helix centre, DCU, Dublin on 4th September, 2008. Bookings can be made online, 30 euro per ticket. Any serious spiritualist in Ireland should attend if possible. This evening will break the already crumbling dominance of the catholic church. www.psychicbarber.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Iulia-Vespasia

Does anyone know of a reputable medium or spiritualist in the Roscrea/Birr/Nenagh/Tullamore area. I have looked up spiritualist churches but the only one seems to be in Dublin and I am unable to travel that far.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

AMIIAM wrote: »
    There is a world renowned medium from Scotland visiting the Helix centre, DCU, Dublin on 4th September, 2008. Bookings can be made online, 30 euro per ticket. Any serious spiritualist in Ireland should attend if possible. This evening will break the already crumbling dominance of the catholic church. www.psychicbarber.com
    I doubt Gordon Smith will bring down the Catholic church singlehandedly.:) But Im going and it should be a very interesting evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 londubh

i may be incorrect but as far as i know in order to set up a church in ireland, it has to pay taxes to the government, it could be why there is no spiritualism church or organisations in the country. can anyone confirm?

Londubh, As far as I am aware, there is a cosy arrangement between Church and State. It is known as control. Churches control peoples minds with their dogmas and creeds, in return the State exempts them from paying taxes and rates. Other ways to "Control" people is exposure to sports, pop music etc. Makes it much easier for the government of the day to slip through what would be unpopular legislation/s against an unsuspecting public. (SHEEPLE). Also spiritualism in Ireland is in it's infancy

Indeed AMIIAM, control of minds and wealth has been the purpose of many of our 'superiors' for a very long time.
    It seems though, that those times are rapidly disappearing. This might be a cause of alarm and regret to many - as the bird used to the cage fears the wider world - but in the longer term, it must be beneficial.

I recently came across a site: http://www.muslim-spiritualist.org/ in which a Muslim relates their rather apprehensive venturing into something beyond their ken and having to rise above their religiously installed fear and cultural differences, to learn more of what they now regard as truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Moon_Eyes

So..Oryx...how did the seminar with Gordon Smith go? Just found this thread whilst browsing.

I'm interested in trying to develop my spiritual side which has been lying domrant for years but am an incredibly sceptical and cynical natured person. I'm a big softy underneath it all who wants a more satisfying life other than material stuff but to be honest I find an awful lot of the stuff I did try (Reiki, mediums, and other what I'll refer to as "airy fairy" stuff) a whole load of me... Father Jack quotes. Maybe it was the wrong Reiki teacher, maybe I wasn't open to the forces, but for whatever reasons, I always felt detached from it all. I've even tried self hypnosis CD's but find even listening to someone telling me to go "deeper and deeper" inside myself quite having the opposite effect. I guess it's a matter of discipline... maybe!

Is it possible to be sceptical and still develop a sense of spirituality or do you have to believe in some kind of force instantly, I guess is what I'm trying to ask? Any reading material you could reccoment on this subject would be good too, anyone. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Moon_Eyes wrote: »
    So..Oryx...how did the seminar with Gordon Smith go? Just found this thread whilst browsing.

I'm interested in trying to develop my spiritual side which has been lying domrant for years but am an incredibly sceptical and cynical natured person. I'm a big softy underneath it all who wants a more satisfying life other than material stuff but to be honest I find an awful lot of the stuff I did try (Reiki, mediums, and other what I'll refer to as "airy fairy" stuff) a whole load of me... Father Jack quotes. Maybe it was the wrong Reiki teacher, maybe I wasn't open to the forces, but for whatever reasons, I always felt detached from it all. I've even tried self hypnosis CD's but find even listening to someone telling me to go "deeper and deeper" inside myself quite having the opposite effect. I guess it's a matter of discipline... maybe!

Is it possible to be sceptical and still develop a sense of spirituality or do you have to believe in some kind of force instantly, I guess is what I'm trying to ask? Any reading material you could reccoment on this subject would be good too, anyone. Thanks :)

Howdy :)

The Gordon Smith evening was interesting, he gets his proof out of the way quickly and then deals with giving the recipient information that they themselves will find beneficial and healing. Its about them rather than him scoring points and being all important. Im to do a course of his in February which I hope will be good.

As for your skepticism, Id share a lot of your feelings, which is why spiritualism feels ok to me. Its a rigid discipline, they really dont have much time for waffle or bs. They look for proof of life after death, by means of accurate and precise information. They do accept any other beliefs you may have, but feel that as an individual, you work with what you can accept personally. What works for one (reiki, angels, whatever) may not resonate with another.

I think that in order to develop your own spirituality you have to keep hold of a rather large dose of skepticism, so that you dont get sucked into any old cult or fad that is put before you.

The way you meditate is something that also has to fit with how your psyche works too, so perhaps thats why the cds you have are not working for you. Try music you like, and just focus on breath. Dont try to 'go' anywhere. Just relax.

If spiritualism interests you, Gordon writes brilliantly, as does Tony Stockwell. they have a wonderful philosophy and outlook quite apart from their beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Moon_Eyes

Hi again Oryx

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at some of his writing. I feel desensitised to my own feelings sometimes, and I don't like it much, so searching out another way. Thanks for the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Grego

hi all,just found this site when looking up spiritual church in the republic.
    so just taught id sign up and say hi.and if you could keep me posted if and when a spiritual church opens up.. its well needed

Gordon Smith is coming back to Ireland in January. He is a guest on the "LATE LATE" show on Friday 23rd. He will also be signing books at Easons on Saturday 24th, at 12-30. Later in the year , he is booked to do a demonstration on mediumship at the RDS in Dublin. Date is Thursday 15th October at 7-00pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Londubh, As far as I am aware, there is a cosy arrangement between Church and State. It is known as control. Churches control peoples minds with their dogmas and creeds, in return the State exempts them from paying taxes and rates. Other ways to "Control" people is exposure to sports, pop music etc. Makes it much easier for the government of the day to slip through what would be unpopular legislation/s against an unsuspecting public. (SHEEPLE). Also spiritualism in Ireland is in it's infancy

Right, churches "control" peoples minds, even though that it is entirely optional for people to be a part of such congregations, at least this is the case in all mainline Christian churches in Ireland.

Christianity is an invitation to follow Christ, not a compulsion.

Muhammad, the figurehead of Islam, commonly said that "there is no compulsion in religion". This is definitely the case in Christianity and in Christian worship.

Infact I find it interesting that you use the term "control", because in the Christian scripture the terminology that goes behind it is that Christ had actually come to set us free from the slavery of sin, and to make our burdens light. That doesn't sound like control to me, it's just that Christians have decided that they want to follow the will of their Father, rather than be slaves to sin.

If you want to ask questions etc, my sig has a link to the Christianity forum.
    rumpamede wrote:

I well believe this to be true, there is a certain power to mediums. However, just because people have certain spiritual powers doesn't mean that it is all positive, or that it isn't ultimately harmful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 seanyboy1982

Im looking to find a way to contact my spirit guide, if i have one, can anyone help.

We are in the process of setting up a spiritualist church in the Republic of Ireland and are looking to judge the response, if you may be interested in attending please let me know. The Spiritualist Union of Ireland will be set up.

The Purpose of the Spiritualist Union of Ireland is to promote spiritualism mainly in the Republic of Ireland. We are currently in the process of setting up a Spiritualist Church in the Republic of Ireland to enable us to promote spiritualism.

At Spiritualist church services, a portion of the time is spent where mediums ‘link’ with the spirit-world to communicate with spirit people. Mediums aim to give proof that those you love who have passed to spirit do live on in another dimension and that they are still connected to you by a bond of friendship and love.

Often during church services, especially Sunday services, a guest speaker also gives an address containing elements of Spiritualism’s philosophy.

Please email president@spiritualistunion.com to register your interest

Hi Seanyboy,
    Everyone has spirit guides/helpers/teachers, they have many names. you can learn how to contact them PM me and I can give you some info

The Spiritualist Union of Ireland is now open for membership go to the link below for membership form and to pay using paypal. Our first service will take place on the 24th May at 6.30pm further details to follow. Membership is €30 per calander year (plus paypal fee of €1.42). Memership will entitle members to receive a discount on courses held and you will also need membership to sit in circle or attend any of the spiritual development courses

www.spiritualistunion.com we need as many people as possible to sign up to get the church going

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Charities are non-profit bodies which are exempt from paying rates. These include churches and also many non-religious bodies

Charities still have to pay VAT.

Charities do not pay income tax since, by definition, they have no profits on which to pay tax.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement