Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiritualism in Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

Gordon Smith is demonstrating his mediumship in Dublin on Thursday 15th October at the RDS, Ballsbridge. Performance begins at 7pm, and concludes at 10pm. A golden oppurtunity to hear this World renowned medium in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

AMIIAM....do you think tickets for that will sell out quickly? I've never seen him but would like to.

Only thing is, I don't know if I'll be in Dub then or not. Just wondering if you think there'd be tickets on the night to buy out there.
    It could be too hard to tell now but just thought I'd ask...thanks if you can reply :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

What I can't believe here is someone can think there is a Church/State conspiracy to control our minds and still give creedance to a snake oil sales man like Gordon Smith. I mean plureese!!!

Gordon Smith the mentalist preys on peoples grief for his own ends. This charlatan cold reads people by asking them broad and leading questions and narrowing his statments as the interview continues. Statements like "you know some one in the spirit world called Pat, or Paddy or Patricia", or equally daft statements like "someone you know had an accident with water as a child". The subject will automatically search for connections that will apply to them.

The Forer effect was shown in 1948 when psychologist Bertram Forer gave students a personality test each believing it was specific to them. On a scale of 0 to 5 the average score was 4.25. When actually each student got the same analysis.

It was later shown that the score could be marked higher if the follow points were taken into account.

* the subject believes that the analysis applies only to them
    * the subject believes in the authority of the evaluator
    * the analysis lists mainly positive traits

I predict Oct will be a unique opportunity to see Gordon Smith practice his craft, hopefully the people attending will see it for the parlour trick that it actually is. But, somehow I doubt it. As I've said before sometimes the reality is just too boring, and we'd rather believe the fantastical.

http://www.paranormal-encyclopedia.com/f/forer-effect/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDJhVkFxiKA

<snip>
    Please read the charter

Studiorat, I am sorry to hear you did not think much of Gordon smith's evening. I suppose he cannot please everybody. Could I ask you which venue/s you listened to Gordon?

• Advertisement

You must be joking... Wild horses would not drag me to see any psychic, unless of course there was chicken and chips involved;). But on the off chance you still have that spare ticket going I'd be delighted to go along and see the charade for myself. (oops I didn't notice Nerins edit...)

It is interesting though that you mention he should "please everybody". Surely he should just be telling it like it is regardless of pleasing anybody? Or is it a stipulation from the spirit world that mediums' messages should have an entertainment value ?

I have come across GS on a few occasions though and I see him as nothing more than a cheap parlour trick. I was particularly fond of the occasion when the Greek psychiatrist stuck it to him for using immoral tactics. You didn't need to be psychic to tell Smith was flummoxed by that one the look on his face was enough. Personally I think his act is a little sick.

A quick look at G.S.'s booking agency though is enough to make it clear to any enquiring mind that his mangment and booking agents specalise in booking any amount of "psychics" and "gurus" you would like to mention. We can open ourselves to psychic awareness with Heidi Sawyer, meditation with David Wells or enhance our every day life with Sonia Choquette all for a reasonable price not including booking fee. Hay House UK are obviously firmly in the spiritual realm, other acts include Andrea and Bruce Leininger, Robert Holden and Wayne W. Dyer. David R Hamilton will give us a life changing seminar for a mere £70.00 per day.

It's an entertainment business, same as MCD or any of the others. I'm quite sure it's believeable enough if you went along and suspended any sceptisim for an evenings entertainment, but as far provable truths go it's really nothing more than a gig. Derrin Brown would probably be a better night out BTW. I think one would be very foolish to look at an evening with any of the above as nothing more than entertainment. But like I always say, why let the truth get in the way of a good story...

@AMIIAM: What proof do you have of this Church/State conspiracy to control our minds? I must have missed it in the earlier post.

Also did you read the link to Forer's work? Would you like to comment on it please?

studiorat wrote: »
    What I can't believe here is someone can think there is a Church/State conspiracy to control our minds and still give creedance to a snake oil sales man like Gordon Smith. I mean plureese!!!

Gordon Smith the mentalist preys on peoples grief for his own ends. This charlatan cold reads people by asking them broad and leading questions and narrowing his statments as the interview continues. Statements like "you know some one in the spirit world called Pat, or Paddy or Patricia", or equally daft statements like "someone you know had an accident with water as a child". The subject will automatically search for connections that will apply to them.

The Forer effect was shown in 1948 when psychologist Bertram Forer gave students a personality test each believing it was specific to them. On a scale of 0 to 5 the average score was 4.25. When actually each student got the same analysis.

It was later shown that the score could be marked higher if the follow points were taken into account.

* the subject believes that the analysis applies only to them
    * the subject believes in the authority of the evaluator
    * the analysis lists mainly positive traits

I predict Oct will be a unique opportunity to see Gordon Smith practice his craft, hopefully the people attending will see it for the parlour trick that it actually is. But, somehow I doubt it. As I've said before sometimes the reality is just too boring, and we'd rather believe the fantastical.

http://www.paranormal-encyclopedia.com/f/forer-effect/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDJhVkFxiKA
    Studiorat claims that Gordon Smith is nothing more than a snake oil salesman, using dubious methods to dupe his audience. He then ADMITS he has never seen GS demonstrating his wonderful talent!!! A bit like Brian Cowan admitting that he had never read the Lisbon Treaty in 2008, but strongly recommended the Irish people should vote YES!!

No comment on the Forer effect?

FYI, the blue writey things at the bottom of the post are links to GS's preying on a greiving couple you should have a look. There's plenty if other links to his "wonderful" work there too. Guffaw!!!

Like I said I've come across this charalatan a few times. I really don't need to line his or his promoter's pockets to understand this dispicable mans modus operandi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 decoflynn2009

Anyone truly interested theres's now a Spiritualiat Church in Dublin

www.spiritualistunion.com has all the details. Sunday service 6.30pm every sunday in Clondalkin. Directions on the site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 shirlseire

Any one here attended the SNU church in Dublin- what do you think of it. Seems expensive to me I trained in England with a non SNU organization was not as expensive what happens if you don’t have that sort of money are yoy left out in the cold.

• Advertisement

shirlseire, You are right. I cannot see me attending their church on the basis that you have to pay. I have no problem with the donation approach, but not extortion. But that's seems how SNU operates. Anyway, you cannot buy into spiritualism, it comes from within.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Expensive how? I know you donate volunarily, what are they charging for?

The church is not SNU. Sunday services are free and only on a donation basis.

The classes are 15 euro monday tuesday and Wednesday. With that you get 2.5hrs of a development class. So thats less than €7 an hr which if you go to any night class in any topic not mediumship it is still cheap.

Healing class is 10 euro.

Sitting in the power is 10 euro

Trance 10 euro.

If we did not charge we would not be able to pay the bills of rents rates, light etc. We would not have it there.

What way do you see it as being expensive?

AMIIAM wrote: »
    shirlseire, You are right. I cannot see me attending their church on the basis that you have to pay. I have no problem with the donation approach, but not extortion. But that's seems how SNU operates. Anyway, you cannot buy into spiritualism, it comes from within.

You dont have to give even €1 to be there on a sunday. Sundays are totally free. People choose to give whatever they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

You dont have to give even €1 to be there on a sunday. Sundays are totally free. People choose to give whatever they want to.
    I strongly suggest you contact hello@boards.ie before posting again, so you don't appear to be spamming or shilling :)

Iv trained in liverpool . The most iv paid

Open Circle £2.00

Development class with Church teacher £2.00

Development class with visiting Mediums £20.00 (highest) All day workshop.

£5.00 for special services with brilliant mediums i.e. excellent proof of afterlife.

THE RENT MUST BE COSTING A FORTUNE. I UNDERSTAND OVERHEADS MUST BE COVERED.. BUT THE SNU HAS PLENTY OF MONEY TO BUY A PREMISES why are you renting!!!!!!!!

The Church Development is run to train Mediums for the Church rostrum. How can anyone afford to pay that amount of money everyweek. If i had to pay money like that i would not be working the Rostrum now.

shirlsiere, Looks to me that SNU saw a niche in Irish market. Probably realising that Irish people just pay up and do not ask too many awkward questions, they went for it. As you correctly stated, the spiritualist movement is NOT a business! Also in UK ,as I am sure you are well aware, genuine development circles are often held in peoples own homes for economic reasons.

decoflynn, I sincerely wish you well on your venture. I have been an avid believer in spiritualism for a good number of years now. I also note that" Poster " stated in previous posts that the Dublin church is affilliated to SNU. Irish movement will have to learn how to crawl,then walk before it runs. And i reiterate that spiritualism does not come with a price tag.

The sanctuary is not apart of SNU nothing to do with it at all.

We are not aiming this to be a business, but from working within other organisations also I have seen how even charities work and if they dont have enough money coming in they cant survive.

We are yes in the early days and have lots to learn but with lots of support from some wonderful mediums in the UK we have got lots of input too.

Of course Spirituality cannot be bought, it must be developed. We can only try and I fully understand that we cannot please everyone. But we can only try to do something. A sanctuary has long being needed.

I developed on my own and would of relished to have something like this. I now feel part of a spiritual family. Before I heard of circles but I was never invited they were all closed, which for me at that time made me feel an outsider and alone.

I have seen how these circles have help people to understand their own spiritual growth and understanding. We all learn from each other.

I would love to see home circles all over this fair land, but inorder for that to happen, you need some people that know how to teach to teach others so that they can teach others and continue the growth of circles in this country. Its a step by step process and I would love to see this happen.

This is my own opinion and I will leave it at that.

• Advertisement

I am not looking for an argument. A debete , YES. I firmly believe that until the Irish people throw wanton materialism, "Celtic Tiger" mentality into the bin, true SPIRITUALISM will never materialise here.

I am not looking for an argument either. I know its all new here but we have to wait awhile and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 K West

<snip>
    shilling/spamming

Yes we do need a Church in Eire. But it does not have to be in the Ritz hotel. (didnt know we had a ritz in Dublin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

I've been aware of KW for some years and always found hm to be consistent in his - similar to my own - understanding of this Truth.

I've had absolute proof of there being no such thing as physical 'death', just another sphere of slightly different vibration awaits, but you will continue to be all that you are.
    The quality of that place depends on the life you are leading today and whatever you choose to believe at present has no bearing whatsoever on your tomorrow. For example, if you are someone who 'knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing' I'd rather not be in your shoes. But, if you're the sort who, almost instinctively, will help another without thought of reward or gain, then it has been said of you 'that this day you will be with me in paradise'.

You must reap as you have sown - call it 'Cause & Effect' or 'Karma' if you so choose. There is no theologian, verbal formula or any other device, religious, philosophical or secular, that can alter this. In balance, though, we are not perfect beings and our best efforts/ intentions will fall far short at times, but if we can sincerely try to do our best, then we will not go far wrong.

This is closed for a while until i clean it up.
    lots of spamming and shilling going on here.

Kwest and shirlseire, you appear to be the same person.

Kwest, your first and only post is pimping your services and linking to an external site. thats spam.

we've specific rules here about that.

both banned until i clear all this with the site owners.

shirlseire and K West both site banned for being the same person pimping their wares.
    leaving this closed for a day or two to cool down.

Anyone that feels they need to shill their "spiritual" practices doesnt seem that good in my book.

another case showing people to be careful when parting with cash or getting into any of these "churches".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement