Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a copy of ID certified

Options
  • 13-12-2006 8:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭

So, having sold some shares i need a certified copy of my passport or other id. Off I trot to the local GS, where they refuse, point blank, stating that they dont know me. Passport, driving li, credit cards, bus pass, staff card, xtravision membership all to hand. Nope. The odd thing is that my wife had had a copy of a doc certified there the previous week and the young un on the desk stated flatly that that could not have happened.
    Two questions
    1) Are they not required to actually do this and
    2) If they aint, why the hell do the banks request this?

Maybe some garda reading this could tell us how to get this done? Or what to do? Why does it vary from station to station?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

You could get it done in a bank either, or insurance broker.

The garda was being awkward, they should do it, they only certify you're a likeness of the person in the photo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Chances are he didn't know what you were on about so just said no.

Go into any bank and they will do it there on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Dont bother going to Blanchardstown Garda Station if you want a Certified copy of anything. THey give some BS excuse along the lines of..."Sure how am I meant to know thats an original?" when presented with my Trinity Degree certificate with the university seal and parchment. :rolleyes:
    Said I have to send it off to some internal documents division and it could take 12 weeks and they charge a fee. :eek: Told them that was rediculous and walked out.:mad:
    Asked in Trim, Ashbourne, Dunboyne, Navan and Kells and they said "No bother. Bring whatever you want down and we'll stamp it for you".
    Got it done in a different Garda station with no probs whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 neemo

I had to go to a solicitor last time to get docs certified cost €10 quid though but still might be cheaper than the petrol to Trim

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

I have the same issue. Went to GS, to my bank, to post office, but no way. I was reading the list of the valid "authorities" and it listed "priest" as well...

"A certified copy is a photocopy signed and stamped by a suitable person such as a member of an Garda Siochana, a Chartered or Certified Public Accountant, Practising Solicitor, Embassy/Consular staff, member of the clergy, priest, doctor, notary public or commissioner for oaths or representatives of designated bodies in Ireland. (Designated bodies are banks, building societies, money brokers, life assurance companies, providers of services in future and option exchanges, An Post, credit unions, stockbrokers and bureaux de change)."

Is it really true? Can I go to the priest of my church to get it? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement