Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tailgating

Options
  • 13-12-2006 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

So there I was this morning pulling out of a junction. Acres of space! When this "yoke" started driving up my hole. Think he was only doing it for the laugh or to piss me off, it worked by the way. Wasn't that I was driving slow. Was going about 40mph.

Then it came to me. I'm selling my car and got a dent at the back which I wouldn't mind having fixed. Would he be in the wrong it I just slammed on the brakes and he rear ended me? Would anybody else like to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Would he be in the wrong it I just slammed on the brakes and he rear ended me?

While not condoning tailgating, slamming on your brakes for no good reason would be the epitome of dangerous driving.

Doing it with the conscious intention of making an insurance claim would be the epitome of insurance fraud.

And given the fact that you could kill or injure yourself or the other driver in the process would be the epitome of reckless stupidity.

On a more positive note, thank you for giving me the opportunity to use the word 'epitome' three times in one post.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

I'd have slowed down to a snail's pace. That would really have irked the yoke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

phutyle wrote:

On a more positive note, thank you for giving me the opportunity to use the word 'epitome' three times in one post.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Would anybody else like to do this?

No.

nereid wrote:
    No.
    How do you know? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You just keep tipping your brakes until he gets the message. If he doesn't, then the reduction in speed will return the annoyance nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The 'braking treatment' usually always works, unless the tailgater is completely stupid.

I often give them the 'smoke screen' treatment aswell. Since my car burns copius amounts of oil, every time you floor the accelerator, a fog of smoke comes out the back. That often gets them of your back. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Try flicking on your rear fog lights....often this is taken for breaking buy the ejit behind you....sometimes works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Try flicking on your rear fog lites....often this is taken for breaking buy the ejit behind you....sometime works.

Yes, this is a better and safer way to let them know to back off. I'm sure we all had this happen to us, try not to get worked up about it. If you hit the breaks and a witness see what you did you would be in more trouble than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Jayus lads, cop on to your selves. Don't touch the brakes, Don't flick you fog light on and off. Pull over so the other person can pass, if it is impossible to pull over, put your hazards on. It is better for the idoit behind you to be done for dangerous driving than you to be done for road rage.

The attitude of some of the posters here so why we have so many poor drivers in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

phutyle wrote:
    :rolleyes: Part II.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

So there I was this morning pulling out of a junction. Acres of space! When this "yoke" started driving up my hole.
    Which was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

krinpit wrote:
    I'd have slowed down to a snail's pace. That would really have irked the yoke :)

That is exactly what I do when someone is up my arse. It's the most irritating thing in the world especially when it's dark and they are so close to you you can't even see their lights.

Still wouldn't do it. Don't want someone elses injuries on my concience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Jayus lads, cop on to your selves. Don't touch the brakes, Don't flick you fog light on and off. Pull over so the other person can pass, if it is impossible to pull over, put your hazards on. It is better for the idoit behind you to be done for dangerous driving than you to be done for road rage.

Where's the fun in that!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

@ johnnyrotten & Drax

Hey, at least I gave three sound reasons as to why the OP's thought of slamming on the brakes isn't a good idea.

Where's your constructive contibution to the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Pull over and let him pass. Let him speed up the road and wrap his car around a lampost.

Trust me, you don't want to be near a guy like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

krinpit wrote:
    How do you know? :)

I know, because I wouldn't do it.

the OP asked [my bold]:
    OP wrote:

the inference was that would any one else like to do this, not every one.

I answered for me.

Causing an accident is the an even lower form of wit than sarcasm.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

So there I was this morning pulling out of a junction. Acres of space! When this "yoke" started driving up my hole. Think he was only doing it for the laugh or to piss me off, it worked by the way. Wasn't that I was driving slow. Was going about 40mph.

Then it came to me. I'm selling my car and got a dent at the back which I wouldn't mind having fixed. Would he be in the wrong it I just slammed on the brakes and he rear ended me? Would anybody else like to do this?

i posted something similar about a guy doing the same. I touched my breaks and gave the screen wash a good going.. I got grief from loads of posters for doing so. I say if totally up to you what you choose to do. Maybe a good slap of the breaks and a rear end might give the fool the best wake up call of his life. Trouble is you might do your neck or back in the process.. and possible cause other to hit his rear etc. so maybe in the bigger picture let the muppet go and put it down to experience.

Do what ya feel.. thats what i say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

If you want to be a proper b0ll0cks, brake using the handbrake - that way the tailgating car doesn't get the warning of your brake lights coming on before he smashes into you... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nereid wrote:
    the inference was that would any one else like to do this, not every one.

I answered for me.

All right then.
    *Rolls up sleeves*

The question was:

not:
    Would anybody else not like to do this

I believe the word is "Zing"

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Slamming your brakes on would be a totally idiotic thing to do. Then both of you would be at fault. It's NOT always the driver behind contrary to common belief. It would end up with the guards coming along and the driver behind saying that you braked for no reason and you blaming him for tailgating. The guards would leave it up to both of you and both insurances would pay 50% of the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

krinpit wrote:

Then floor it if he tries to overtake you - turn the tables and drive him demented!

If you wanna get someone to back off, push lightly on the brake pedal to bring the brake lights on......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

One of the jets on my windscreen washers is set a little too high - so just a tiny prod on the washers sends a jet over the car to land on the tailgater
    - it gets the message across!

Advertisement