Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIty Centre Development

• 13-12-2006 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

A new Application has been lodged with Waterford City Council... hear's hoping Mr. McCann will not lodge an objection and it will sail through the planning system this time (Somehow I doubt it though)

=======================================================

A planning application has been lodged for a new E280m shopping and hotel complex in Waterford City Centre, it was confirmed today.

KRM Construction Partnership is planning the development which its says will create 1,200 jobs.

The project will feature 60 shops, including three anchor units, a 153-bedroom four star hotel with a substantial conference centre and leisure facilities.

There will also be arts, cultural and community facilities as well as underground parking for over 600 vehicles.

A total of 26 new city centre homes will also be built on the 5.1 acre site.

The application was lodged following a public consultation process that ran from the start of September to early December.

Feedback received in these sessions has been taken on board in finalising the application now before Waterford City Council.

KRM hope to have the new facilities open for business by Christmas 2009 and tenancy discussions are continuing with a large number of Irish and overseas retailers, many of which are not currently trading in Waterford.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

any idea where it's going?
    Is this a separate venture to the thing that's being built just over the river?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Dan133269 wrote:
    any idea where it's going?

In the city centre, on the site bordered by Michael St, Alexander St, Stephen St and New St. I think the hotel part will be going on the site where the old WIT art college was.
    Dan133269 wrote:
    Is this a separate venture to the thing that's being built just over the river?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭bullpost

Haven't been around that area for a while , but will something that size not cause a lot of traffic congestion in the City centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

'tis better to have this development in the city centre than out on the periphery.. at least you have the option of using public transport to get into the city centre....City bypass will be open before this development so that will help traffic flows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

so this will be where the old de la salle centre was?

one part of it yes... It encompasses the whole block including the multi-story car park at New Street (Which will be demolished)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭bullpost

Bards wrote:
    'tis better to have this development in the city centre than out on the periphery.. at least you have the option of using public transport to get into the city centre....City bypass will be open before this development so that will help traffic flows

Definitely agree with you. It will hopefully rejuvenate that area - Just wondering how they will manage access for that many cars ,as roads around there are fairly narrow.

same as they do now for New Street Car Park and City Square... One way system I would imagine

Bards wrote:
    same as they do now for New Street Car Park and City Square... One way system I would imagine

Yes, remember that the New St car park is going, so although there will be more cars around there once this place is completed, it probably won't have as much of an impact as you might have otherwise expected.

I would just wonder what they're going to do for deliveries to the new centre. I'm sure it will be well managed, but all the same, it will have to be. Where would they put the delivery entrance? Stephen St?

• Advertisement

I would expect where the Brewery is now... Large trucks already go there as of now so I don't think there will be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

This is massive for Waterford.

City centre is the best place for it. All roads lead to the city centre. Build it on the outer ring road, and it's bye bye outer ring road. It would turn into an outer ring carpark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

Hey guys, slightly off-topic but im tryin to get support for a specific 'Built Environment' Forum for all building/engineering/architectural/planning issues. Lend yer support at:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055028973

if yed like to see such a forum

cheers

construct_06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

KRM said they were involved in a lot of consultation over the past few months with all the interested parties , but my fear is that having "consulted" with McCann does'nt actually mean he's not going to object to it again because no matter what he wont be happy with whatever plans are there imo . Dont forget the WCTU are also involved in objecting to this development , which as a fees paying union member I strongly object to as I believe that it is out of their remit to be getting involved in the planning process , and I have made my feelings known to my shop steward .

meldrew wrote:
    KRM said they were involved in a lot of consultation over the past few months with all the interested parties , but my fear is that having "consulted" with McCann does'nt actually mean he's not going to object to it again because no matter what he wont be happy with whatever plans are there imo . Dont forget the WCTU are also involved in objecting to this development , which as a fees paying union member I strongly object to as I believe that it is out of their remit to be getting involved in the planning process , and I have made my feelings known to my shop steward .

What did your shop steward have to say in reply?

meldrew wrote:

Perhaps a letter to whoever is at the top wouldn't go astray, particularly if you could find a bunch of people to sign it. This sort of thing is not what people sign up to unions for.

And yes, as sure as the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, McCann will object.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Pity McCann and his sidekick Rita Canney wouldn't go and watch the sun go down in Galway Bay

I heard the WCTU spokesperson on WLRfm this afternoon saying they were concerned about traffic volumes creating problems for other workers in the City.... Does this now mean WCTU will object to any new jobs for Waterford City which creates more traffic. I wish WCTU would quickly clarify this situation as it is bad enough that the establishment doesn't want Waterford to succeed with WCTU helping them:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Bards wrote:
    What did your shop steward have to say in reply?
    He told me he'd bring it up with them but its all politics with them as well , he told me the president of the WCTU (we all know who he is ) has'nt held any positions in his own union in the last 3 years and yet he's the president of the trades council ! IMO this individual is on an ego trip and is jumping on the planning bandwagon to increase his public profile ahead of next years election

i Wish unions would look after all their current and future members to which they are answerable to... Do they not realise without workers they would have no job/position or are they that stupid that power has gone to their head not to notice

• Advertisement

Bards wrote:
    i Wish unions would look after all their current and future members to which they are answerable to... Do they not realise without workers they would have no job/position or are they that stupid that power has gone to their head not to notice

Desperately seeking relevance in a land of full employment and good working conditions, more like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Bards wrote:

I fully agree. As a Union member for 30 years I find this behaviour appaling. If I didn't know better I would say it points to a distinct lack of intellect in dealing with this development. Imagine - a union complaining about increased traffic flow caused by additional jobs! I ask you! Imagine if they had adopted the same stance in Tallaght, Dundrum, Blanchardstown, et al.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MarkPH

Just had this emailed to me today, was looking for a job a while ago and the company still trying to get me to sign up. Is this part of the same development? Value seems fairly different.

****** have been given the go ahead to recruit a full Project team for a new € 60m Shopping Centre in Waterford.The development will be built by one of Irelands top 10 main contractors and will take 18 months to construct.Positions will be fulltime and excellent packages will be offered to the right people.

This includes:

Project Manager
    Site Manager
    Section Managers
    General and Finishing Forepersons
    Site Engineers
    Quantity Surveyors(all levels)
    Safety Officer
    Site Clerk
    Site Administrator

It is envisaged that **** will conduct initial interviews on behalf of the contractor over the following week or two.

Don't think so, the Michael St. development is for 280m iirc.

Crystal centre? New Lisduggan?

The ad is for a new shopping centre, so it's unlikely to be Lisduggan.

That leaves Crystal Centre in Ballybeg and that retail park on the Airport Road. They're both more retail parks rather than shopping centres.

I think most likely they're talking about the new one in Ferrybank. Yes it's technically in Co Kilkenny, but that's another debate altogether!

fricatus wrote:
    The ad is for a new shopping centre, so it's unlikely to be Lisduggan.

That leaves Crystal Centre in Ballybeg and that retail park on the Airport Road. They're both more retail parks rather than shopping centres.

I think most likely they're talking about the new one in Ferrybank. Yes it's technically in Co Kilkenny, but that's another debate altogether!

They are redeveloping Lisduggan though.

Advertisement