Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy fish in DUblin

Options
  • 13-12-2006 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have just moved to Leixlip. Before this i was living in Cork, where i could get great meat and fish, at great prices, in the English Market. Now in a new city, i haven't a clue where to go. At the moment, i am making the trip out to Howth on a saturday, but it is pretty inconvenient, and i don't find them overly helpful.

One thing, i know that Superquinn are supposed to do good fish, but i would prefer to buy my fish from a fishmonger rather than in a supermarket. I'm not being snobby, i just prefer it this way.

Does anyone know of a good fish shop reasonably central in Dublin, or out near leixlip/maynooth?

In addition, can anyone recommend a good butcher in the same areas.

Failing these locations, i am willing to travel a bit for a very good fish shop/butchers.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Try Sawers on Chatham Street (just off Grafton St.) for fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

my father swears by the place opposite the submarine bar in walkinstown. of course he can't remember the name but it's on the same side as the bar but before you come to the crossroads heading out of town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but out of all the supermarkets in your area I find that Superquinn in Lucan is best for fish.

I wish there was a proper fishmonger in the area, I reckon they would have plenty of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

The one in Crumlin village is excellent, However I use Cavistons in Glasthule which is great, and has organic poultry too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Would Superquinn remove the bones as well for you??

I wanted to get the bones removed from Cod, as I don't know how to do it but the super valu wouldn't do it for me :( Would Superquinn??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

The one in Lucan would I reckon.
    There's a really nice Caribbean guy that is normally there.
    He's very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

rockbeer wrote:
    Try Sawers on Chatham Street (just off Grafton St.) for fish.

Very expensive. Tried to charge me 18 euro for two swordfish steaks. Try the place opposite Toners on Baggot St instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Kish is probably the freshest - turn your back to the Liffey and walk along Church Street, turn left at North King Street, and immediately left again and there it is. It's a wholesalers that has a tiny retail shop.

Wright's of Howth has a place in Marino (near Fairview Park).

If you're southside, there's a Supervalu in Churchtown (from Rathfarnham, head down past that Arc de Triomphe thing and you'll reach it after about a mile) that has good fresh fish, especially on Saturdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 catbar

hi,

maybe you aint in dublin anymore maybe you are... if so you can get really fresh fish from kilmore quay from a girl who sells it every thurs outside bradys pub and outside castletown gates on fridays. very good and cheap i been going 2 her for years..
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Does anyone know a good fishmonger in Dublin city centre/south city? The only dedicated fishmonger I know is in Marino, and it's a bit far to go for fish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

kylith wrote: »
    Does anyone know a good fishmonger in Dublin city centre/south city? The only dedicated fishmonger I know is in Marino, and it's a bit far to go for fish.

There are two good fishmongers in Upper Rathmines Road, on the row of shops there that includes Fothergills; one is a general shop with vegetables, etc, and also sells delicious fresh fish - and samphire to go with it. The other is a new fish-only fishmonger.

In Kimmage there's Fitzsimons on Kimmage Road (183A), a little shop like a garage with very fresh fish - they have their own boats, I'm told.

In Churchtown there's a great fish counter in the Supervalue - franchise, not part of the shop proper.

If you want a fish shop in the city centre (just over the river), go to Kish Fish (http://www.kishfish.ie/) in Bow Street - up Church Street from the bridge and keep looking to your left along the lanes, it's at the end of the first or second lane.

It's absolutely true about how awful Irish cooking (mostly) was in the 1950s. I was lucky - my parents both adored cooking, and we lived on things like crisp-fried sole with lemon, butter and pepper, with mashed potatoes and perfect green beans on the side.

But there were also plenty of good traditional cooks, who made colcannon (not actually Northern, but a loved dish throughout Ireland) and Irish stew and so on.

Incidentally, French cooking was renowned for its true awfulness until the late 18th century. The French Revolution brought us modern French cuisine, because the chefs of the aristocracy, thrown out of employment as their employers were jailed or executed, set up restaurants for the public. French people discovered how good food could be, and never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

kylith wrote: »

Isn't there a fishmongers on Baggot Street Lower? The Toners end? Across the road from the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭nightrave

Any updates on fresh fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Isn't there a fishmongers on Baggot Street Lower? The Toners end? Across the road from the pub?

Closed down unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Extremely good value fishmongers in Dundrum - the old shopping centre part. Also next to a great butchers. I got 4 fillets of seabass (good sized) for 8 euro before - it's really excellently priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well the thread is from 2006 and it probably isnt that fresh any more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

In Kimmage there's Fitzsimons on Kimmage Road (183A), a little shop like a garage with very fresh fish - they have their own boats, I'm told.

Hi, can you tell me more about this place please? I only live around the corner but don't know where you're talking about :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 caragnomes

John_Mc wrote: »
    Hi, can you tell me more about this place please? I only live around the corner but don't know where you're talking about :confused:

I went to find this place today, it's beside New Century (?) Takeaway on Kimmage road (near Ashfield Centre).
    It was closed, anyone know if it's closed down forever?

I'm looking for one in Dublin 12 area too!

Give them a ring. Not sure if they're open Mondays, so try today and try tomorrow.

Fitzsimons JL Fish Shop, 183A Kimmage Road Dublin (01)4554832

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Howth would be a great place...!! Excuse the pun but its a bit far from Leixlip..
    Alternatively Superquinn in Lucan have a huge fish selection..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There is a new fishmonger opened in Lucan Village. McAllisters I think it is called. Haven't been yet but some people have mentioned it on the west dublin forum of this site and it has got very positive reviews. have been meaning to pay it a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Popped into McAllisters today. Picked up some of their prawn stir fry and some sardines. The prawn stir fry was fab...peppers, onions, huge prawns in a kind of garlic sauce. Was done in minutes. Yum.

Bought some haddock and mackerel today in Fitzsimons - fish pie tonight, mackerel in tomato sauce tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mattmacg

The place on chatam street closed down a few years ago.
    Fallon and Byrne in the city centre. Otherwise howth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Please don't revive very old threads.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement