Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL BB down Dublin 9

Options
  • 13-12-2006 11:02am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else NTL BB down in Dublin 9 or elsewhere.

Very strange the ready and sync lights are steady on the modem, indicating everything is alright with it. But a tarceroute shows the packets being dropped from the third hop, which would indicate a problem in their network.

Tried ringing NTL but just got an engaged tone!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

You are not alone. I'm in Citywest and it dies after the first hop. Freeloading neighbour's BT connection at the mo. Got cut off from "customer care" after 45 mins on hold.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Same in Dublin 15. Must be a major outage. Also got kicked off the support line - twice. Gave up in the end and drove into the office (I work from home).

Thanks NTL, you've messed up my day big style. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

yes it's down here too in lucan. same deal, lights are on but there's nobody home :/ i'm posting from my phone Ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

Down in D8 as well. Since about 7.30 this morning :mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Back up in D9 now.

Looks like it was a major problem in their routing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Poxy NTL... :mad:

Was trying to ring them for ages, must of tried 50 times and got network busy (ringing from mobile). I finally got trough and they gave this number to ring - 061272342 :eek: , someone please ring it to tell me I haven't gone mad...

BB on now in Talalght... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Was down this morning in D4, also last night for a time.

Not sure of the current status.

:( my first outtage in 1.5 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I'm in the Blanchardstown area and it's back now. I hung on for more that 20 minutes to get the support 1800 924 424. The guy I spoke to said they were having major problems. In reply to my questions, he said that he is in Chorus in Limerick and that the Waterford centre has closed resulting in poorer customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

BreadBoard wrote:
    Poxy NTL... :mad:

Was trying to ring them for ages, must of tried 50 times and got network busy (ringing from mobile). I finally got trough and they gave this number to ring - 061272342 :eek: , someone please ring it to tell me I haven't gone mad...

BB on now in Talalght... :rolleyes:

I was on hold for about 30 minutes - if I hear Vivaldi or that bloke's voice one more time I'll go ****ing mad - then someone picked up and put me back into the queue at which point I got cut off. Painful.

It's not that hard to change the message on the hold system to say 'If you're experiencing problems with your cable internet we have a problem and will have a solution asap'

That's all people need to know. Twats.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I was on hold for about 30 minutes - if I hear Vivaldi or that bloke's voice one more time I'll go ****ing mad - then someone picked up and put me back into the queue at which point I got cut off. Painful.

It's not that hard to change the message on the hold system to say 'If you're experiencing problems with your cable internet we have a problem and will have a solution asap'

Yes indeed that always baffles me as to why companies dont do this as a matter of course.

These new NTL owners have really brought some serious competition to the BB market!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

back up here now

thank f00k

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

was down here in templeogue too :confused:

back now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

But that would too much sense, wouldn't it????:p

Good to hear its back, got a bit of a shock this morning when the net wasent working......

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Outage in Dunlaoghaire too this AM but seemed to come back at around 11am. DNS servers seemed OK but thats all!

Abysmal Customer Service as usual! NTL are an absolute disgrace any time I've had reason to call their customer service in the last year I have been on hold for over 25mins. On most occasions I have also been cut off or transferred to someone who lifts the phone and then hangs up without talking. Extremely annoying and I WILL be moving to another supplier.

Thumbs down to NTL!

Still down in Citywest/Tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Down in D22, Clondalkin

P.S. dialup in a slow agonizing pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :mad:

Also noticed that they don't let you call their freephone number from a mobile any more.

Nice touch NTL. Spent over €10 on hold this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

A friend is Lexislip has been down most all of today, and nobody seems to be answering the telephone in NTL...

And they have been blocking calls from Mobiles for several years now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Had a good laugh about this. I wouldn't have minded the Vivaldi had the annoying bloke not have kept cutting in after about 3 notes each time it started!!!!

Exactly what I was thinking though, why not just have an automated message just saying "we're having problems citywide or nationwide, we're on it" rather than leaving people wondering if it's just their house/street/area etc.. At least if you know it's major there's a good chance someone is already on it.

They were doing something with the answering system though. I rang once, held for 15 mins, got booted off. Rang again, got a slightly different message, got booted off again (after another 15 mins). Rang a third time - it then asked me to key in my phone number - I held for about 10 mins and just left home for the office at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

Also in Tallagt (Old bawn Road) and is been up since about 11am

Also noticed that they don't let you call their freephone number from a mobile any more.

Nice touch NTL. Spent over €10 on hold this morning.

you can still dial 1800234234 from a mobile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

I have to join in the rant, Im in D18 and it has been down all day.

The line is up, their DNS servers are responding (and resolving) addresses, I've tried even the most unlikely names to reduce the chances of them being in the cache.

Using dialup, I can traceroute back to the dns servers but not the default gateways, after that its a mystery. I tried all the usual around release and renew on leases etc.

(their blocks 89.100.0.0/16 & 89.101.0.0/16 appear to route correctly so outsider that I am its easy to say that it looks like some internal routing issue... of course, things are rarely that straightforward)

http://lg.as2110.net/
    dns server - 89.101.160.4 - routes and pings ok
    dhcp server - 89.101.98.1 - routes and pings ok
    default gw - 89.100.109.1 - stops at 1 hop before ntl, no ping

I regularly work from home, but it was just hopeless today.

Their helpdesk was a total nightmare, after getting cut off several times after 15 minutes of holding, I called the main office (after holding) and then asked to get put through to someone who could help.... of course, I was put into a holding pattern (again) and got cut off, again.....

Finally, got through to someone, and rather than waste time on settings around sync lights, traffic, wireless routers, powering off/on (I still had to verify all these things even though I said everything was UP) they are logging a call with their technical team, and that has a 2 day turnaround!

As the other poster mentioned, if they were aware of a problem, then a message on the line while you were waiting would help... You'd say fair enough and leave it at that until they got it fixed.

But, both times I managed to get through though, they had no reported problems in Dublin! only 'slowness' in Waterford

I asked to speak with a supervisor, who did return my call after a few hours. Ironically enough, he said he spent most of his day calling customers back around complaints to with their helpdesk and their ability to respond to customer queries. He told me that they expect to be increasing their level of helpdesk support considerably over the next few months... but nothing for the short term by the looks of things.

Bah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 FlightRisker

Down in ballsbridge for me :(

Nothing we can do our end to get it going eh?

Time for the waiting game...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Yeah - in D4, my NTL was disconnected from between 5 - 7am, and came back online at 10:30 ish.

Pretty frustrating.

I'm lucky my neighbours on Eircom don't password protect their router!

Last week I had a stranger problem, wherein I couldn't access loads of sites from the UK, though everything else worked fine ???

detritus wrote:
    I asked to speak with a supervisor, who did return my call after a few hours. Ironically enough, he said he spent most of his day calling customers back around complaints to with their helpdesk and their ability to respond to customer queries. He told me that they expect to be increasing their level of helpdesk support considerably over the next few months... but nothing for the short term by the looks of things.

Bah!

Do they honestly expect people to buy that crap? I wish these companies - and it's not just NTL - would grant people a bit more intelligence. It's very easy to get through to Sales, but impossible to get through to Tech. Support, and there's a reason for that of course.

To try and make people believe that they'll add a load of new techies who bring in absolutely no revenue is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

Looks like it's definitely a routing issue. The addresses I get assigned on my non-working connection are:

89.100.104.x (Dublin 24)
    89.100.107.x (Dublin 24)
    (89.100.109.x is also mentioned above as being bad)

A friend in a housing estate 5 minutes walk away (one side of road is D16 the other side D24 if NTL happen to have done their network via postcodes) with a working NTL connection gets:

89.100.72.x (Dublin 16)

[Edit:
    Two more friends with working NTL connections:

89.100.158.x (Dublin 7)
    89.100.128.x (Dublin 15)
    ]

From outside the NTL network 89.100.72.1, 89.100.158.1 and 89.100.128.1 are pingable and 89.100.104.1, 89.100.107.1 and 89.100.109.1 aren't.

I'd guess this is a problem for their network engineers rather then tech support. The best way to get it noticed by the NTL network guys (assuming they are not already aware) may be lots of emails about routing problems to Customer.Support@ntl.ie.

Aaron

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

no route to that IP from the internet

tracert 89.100.104.2

Tracing route to 089-100-104002.ntlworld.ie [89.100.104.2]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:
    8 40 ms 37 ms 42 ms fr-par03a-rd1-10ge-6-0.aorta.net [213.46.163.89]

(Paris then London Then Amsterdam then nowhere)

9 37 ms 37 ms 37 ms fr-par02a-rd1-10ge-4-0.aorta.net [213.46.163.81]

10 44 ms 40 ms 42 ms uk-lon-rc-01-ge-6-0.chellonetwork.com [213.46.16
    .213]
    11 73 ms 74 ms 73 ms nl-ams-rd-01-pos-1-0.chellonetwork.com [213.46.1

0.14]
    12 78 ms 72 ms 72 ms 213.46.165.14.aorta.net [213.46.165.14]
    13 * * *

So its bollixed in Amsterdam or so .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

I tell ya... having been on the other end of the phone, I have some sympathy for the poor sods who are on the receiving end when 'bad' things have been done.

I imagine that the problem is within NTL since their entire block of addresses all gets routed to the same place (based on their AS number)

http://www.ripe.net/ and plug in one of the ip addresses shows plenty of contact details we can resort to using if we still dont get any satisfaction :)

Of course, someone more knowledgable in routing (it wouldnt take much) might tell me Im talking out of my hat.

Here's hoping that tomorrow, one of our favourite propellor heads will walk in and go 'Ooops' and fix it.

Since it wasnt officially an issue with the helpdesk, then nothing will officially have been fixed, its probably us having to reset our modems and reboot our computers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

joolsveer wrote:
    The guy I spoke to said they were having major problems. In reply to my questions, he said that he is in Chorus in Limerick and that the Waterford centre has closed resulting in poorer customer service.

yeh they said that to me to yesterday about the waterford office, which in honesty at the time i didn't really care about hearing as my phonecall was regarding very poor BB speeds as im supposed to be on 6 meg but in honesty at peak times its no where near that, off peak im getting about 5.5-5.8 meg after numerous speed times, and even then off peak isnt reliable anymore..

no idea what to do in honesty, you try ringing ntl and a good 75% of the time you wait on hold for ages only to be "transferred" by the ntl robot to a line that just cuts you off

In the end, tolerance is rather low. Logged a fault with a girl for slow speeds and it was going on and off yesterday and being unresponsive, i was promised a callback within 12-24hrs, asked me which time i preferred and yeh guess what... havent received any calls what so ever, and when i tested my line tonight against various sites it was showing as 1.2 - 1.8 meg which is the slowest ive seen AFTER i report saying its slow

Just makes you feel as if your wasting your time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I'd guess this is a problem for their network engineers rather then tech support.
    You are making the rather large assumption that they actually have engineers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what their reputation in Europe is like?

Advertisement