Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL BB down Dublin 9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

major issues here in Lucan since Tuesday evening when we had a power cut for about an hour, when power came back up no Analog TV or broadband.
    Same scenario here, ring, listen to that arsehole ever 3 seconds and then cut off after 15 minutes, if you picked the option for TV services u just got put through to voicemail which I left but nobody called me back, left another irrate voicemail when nobody called me back. Eventually got through to a CS Girl, and I asked was there a breakage in Lucan, she checked her system and said no and that she would get tech crew to check it within 48 hours. I didn't lose the head afterall it isn't her fault, its management that need the kick up the arse.
    Anyway I also told her about my speed issue and even though I'm on the max package, I'm only getting 4mb at the very most, so she logged it and will get tech support to call me (I won't hold my breath). I know these fekers will blame me for using a router for the poor ping rates, which is a load of crap, I will refer to some of the posts here to show I'm not an isolated case.

Rgds

Snake ;)

P.S. If I was NTL I would be pushing for Chello or UPC to change the name sooner rather then later as its a totally different company now and standards have dropped through the floor :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

major issues here in Lucan since Tuesday evening when we had a power cut for about an hour, when power came back up no Analog TV or broadband.
    Same scenario here, ring, listen to that arsehole ever 3 seconds and then cut off after 15 minutes, if you picked the option for TV services u just got put through to voicemail which I left but nobody called me back, left another irrate voicemail when nobody called me back. Eventually got through to a CS Girl, and I asked was there a breakage in Lucan, she checked her system and said no and that she would get tech crew to check it within 48 hours. I didn't lose the head afterall it isn't her fault, its management that need the kick up the arse.
    Anyway I also told her about my speed issue and even though I'm on the max package, I'm only getting 4mb at the very most, so she logged it and will get tech support to call me (I won't hold my breath). I know these fekers will blame me for using a router for the poor ping rates, which is a load of crap, I will refer to some of the posts here to show I'm not an isolated case.

Rgds

Snake ;)

P.S. If I was NTL I would be pushing for Chello or UPC to change the name sooner rather then later as its a totally different company now and standards have dropped through the floor :(

i use there blue cable modem (250) and im in exact same situation, so any comments about your router can kindly be rammed up there rear end :)

whoever is giving the service, it really is pathetic..

in all honesty tempted just to switch to dsl at this stage, if magnet never forced a tv package down my neck for the 8meg package i would take that but alas...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

dub45 wrote:
    Just out of curiosity does anyone know what their reputation in Europe is like?

Only know about it in UK, which if your in a good area the service is great, if your in a problem area, you will experience constantly crap problems..

I was on telewest back in scotland personally before i moved here who was bought over by ntl and there service was always fantastic and never had any problem what so ever.

If only it was as simple here.. who am i actually with now, who is this NTL logo crowd sending me bills as all i hear is that its been bought over by company a,b or c.. Chello?? chorus?? who knows... certainly cant phone to find out as they dont pick up any calls

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

NTL Down in Blackrock area as of 8 a.m. this morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I suspect there is some confusion in NTL here. I believe there are TV problems in some areas and that might be masking the routing issue. When I finally got on to them yesterday, they said they knew of TV problems in parts of Tallaght and then I asked if they were aware of problems with broadband. She went away to 'check' and came back to say that yes they were aware and they have engineers on site. How some engineer at the side of the road is going to resolve a routing issue beats me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Still down in D 22. Don't know about 9-5 yesterday (or overnight) but was down yeasterday morning and all evening.

Got the same long waits as everyone else. Got through about 9.30pm last night where the girl asked me to plug it out and power it up (because I hadn't tried that at all...) and then said she'd log the call and I'd get a calll within 24 hours. Apparently BB people only work upt to 8pm. In work now but off on a half day so will probably ring them from 2pm (ish).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I'm in Lucan and still no internet service this morning. I can see their DNS servers and ping them. But nothing else :(

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Exactly the same problem. In Lucan and no BB for the last 24 hours :(

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

It was down in D14 for me all day yesterday. Rang when I got home from work - Have to say, that is the most annoying hold music I have ever listened to - it plays the music for 2sec & then that prat interrupts every time - was on for about 15min and it cut me off also.

Not a great service, to cut off your customers after being on hold for 15min, If they knew of the problem all day, how difficult would it have been, to put an IVR message up informing people that they were experiencing difficulties & not to waste peoples time...

Not Happy :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Up and down yesterday in D4. Was up this morning.

They should have a QOS policy - i.e. no billing for periods it is down or similar. It is a joke that you pay for a service and may not get it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Let me clarify again guys.

Your BB works , kinda. You get an ip address and request data from a site, the request probably gets to the site....even. Then!!!

There is no route to your IP address from the Internet so traffic cannot come in to you . The ADVERTISED route is an aorta.net chello problem, they are the backbone for UPC.

Putting it simply, some dopey bollox in the UPC routing department has misconfigured their routers .
    tracert 89.100.104.2

11 23 ms 23 ms 23 ms fr-par03a-rd1-10ge-6-0.aorta.net [213.46.163.89]

12 24 ms 24 ms 24 ms fr-par02a-rd1-10ge-4-0.aorta.net [213.46.163.81]

13 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms uk-lon-rc-01-ge-6-0.chellonetwork.com [213.46.16
    0.213]
    14 59 ms 58 ms 58 ms nl-ams-rd-01-pos-1-0.chellonetwork.com [213.46.1
    60.14]
    15 58 ms 58 ms 58 ms 213.46.165.14.aorta.net [213.46.165.14]
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * *

The traffic hops around europe for no good reason, in and out of Aorta and then dies in Amsterdam. Contact these people who between them made a mess of it and of other NTL connectivity issues. They control Aorta and Chello routes hither and thither.

hostmaster@chello.at
    akemper@upcbroadband.com
    nico@chello.com
    mschweinberger@upctechnology.com
    sbaumann@upctechnology.com
    nguilbaud@upctechnology.com
    hostmaster@chello.fr

If you think you are a victim I need your IP address in this format to run a trace IN to it and see where it fails eg 88.99.123.x (do not give me the last bit as it is unnecessary) anyone can run the trace in not just me ...if they have an internet connection that is :D

At this rate of going they won't fix it for christmas so they won't :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dougals Daddy

NTL / UPC Internet access down in Leixlip since 6 am yesterday.
    No answer from customer care, been cut off several times.

No answer from customer care

Chorus are geniuses at customer care, always have been. Legends even.

1. They do not answer the phone or else you are through to sales will transfer .
    2. The faults are not logged because they do not answer the phone
    3. There is no online way of reporting a fault.
    4. They do not answer emails or log faults that way .
    5. Therefore they have the lowest level of faults per customer of any telco in Ireland and are therefore the MOST excellent communications company in Ireland , this fact being supported mainly by the low level of faults reported.

Pure Genius. You will grow to love Chorus now that NTL Waterford has Closed. !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

NTL / UPC Internet access down in Leixlip since 6 am yesterday.
    No answer from customer care, been cut off several times.

It's been down in Lucan from around the same time as well.
    Thank heavens for my 3G card or I'd be lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vpc

My broadband has been down for 3 weeks now. If I hear

"All customer care agents are currently on calls, please hold and one of our agents will be with you shortly. We apologise for this delay"

I think I will kill myself. What it really means is...

"We don't give a toss about you as a customer. Keep holding and you might get through if you are lucky".

Has anybody contacted ComReg yet ? This is a disgrace and it wouldn't happen in any other country !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Mine was fine in Temple bar yesterday. My parents said theirs was down all yesterday. It can't be a complete failure if mine was up. That possibly make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Your BB works , kinda. You get an ip address and request data from a site, the request probably gets to the site....even. Then!!!

There is no route to your IP address from the Internet so traffic cannot come in to you . The ADVERTISED route is an aorta.net chello problem, they are the backbone for UPC.

Putting it simply, some dopey bollox in the UPC routing department has misconfigured their routers

Thanks for the clarification, Sponge Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Surely there's some official course of action we can take collectively to let them know that this simply won't do?

My BB has been down for a month (dublin 4), due to a faulty cable, which the technician who originally called out informed me, may never be fixed.

I refuse to use the "customer service" number anymore, as it's just insulting.

NTL have ignored all my letters and emails. By all accounts, the lights are on, but no one's home. The only department that seems to be working is their billing one.

At this stage, NTL should be sending out letters to all broadband customers apologising for the complete sham that their company has become, outlining what steps they intend to take to rectify the situation.
    As far as I can see, they are completely ignoring everyone, yet still expecting bills to be paid for services that they can't provide.

I don't want to sound like some kind of hippy, but I'm at my wit's end here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just for the record this current outage is the first problem I've ever had (in roughly 2 years with them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I am in Stepaside as well, and NTL BB is down since yesterday morning. A friend of mine in stepaside has the same problem.

Called NTL this morning and even managed to get hold of someone. According to her a technician will call me back. As I never believe NTL I just called our companies NTL Account manager, and he will look into it. Lets see for how long it will be down.

BTW... having NTL for 3 years, and this is the first time it has been down for me for more then an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just to say that mine has been up and working fine in D9 since 11 am Yesterday. Yesterday was the first time in two years since I've had a problem.

However I have noticed that my external IP address has changed and is very different to the old address types.

bk, how is your routing? I was hoping that maybe all this was due to connecting to INEX. Does your tracert/traceroute still Inter-rail around Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sandcastle

It's been down in Lucan from around the same time as well.
    Thank heavens for my 3G card or I'd be lost.

I'm in Lucan with the same problems. Yesterday I could talk twice with the "nice" customer care without any real result. In the evening the lady told us they resolved the problem... and everything is working fine... hmmm... :mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bk, how is your routing? I was hoping that maybe all this was due to connecting to INEX. Does your tracert/traceroute still Inter-rail around Europe?

Looks like my IP is back to the standard 89.100

And it is still taking the scenic route through Europe. Maybe they were trying to fix the routing yesterday, but screwed up and reverted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

Back up now on 89.100.104.x.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Back to normal now in Lucan. Hopefully now it will take as long as before until It has another outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

Hmmm, I'm considering getting a Clearwire box to have on hand as a failover if this ever happens again. O2 card was fine this morning, but only one machine can use it at a time and we have a few machines in the house. My wife works from home so the €25 quid a month extra could be covered by that.

All is tickety boo here in Citywest. Although, I was looking forward to using the downtime as an excuse to use Blueface Go Mobile to call the States :)

And whoever has the BT 1Mbps service without protection on their wireless router, cheers :).

Hmmm, I'm considering getting a Clearwire box to have on hand as a failover if this ever happens again. O2 card was fine this morning, but only one machine can use it at a time and we have a few machines in the house. My wife works from home so the €25 quid a month extra could be covered by that.

You can normally share a 3G card with one of these and avoid that shower in Clearwire altogether,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

It's down in Dun Laoghaire all day today :(

Advertisement