Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling House

Options
  • 13-12-2006 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

AGHAAAAAA!!!!:mad:

We’re in the process of trying to sell our house – went to a couple of auctioneers who advised to hold off until after Christmas before putting if officially on the market – grand!!

Got a call the other weekend to say there were two interested parties in our house did we want to show it – lovely – the first guy came in and offered the asking price – but then last Thursday he pulled out – but the other couple were still interested – they had a second viewing and then offered the asking price too – they were due to pay the holding dep on Monday but called the auctioneer and asked if we’d drop the price – we said no – they said they’d have to think about it - she called the wife yesterday to see what the story was – again the wife asked if we’d drop the price – again the auctioneer said no – and she said she’d think about it again – asked the auctioneer to call the husband last night for a decision – but he didn’t/wouldn’t answer

Is this type of bloody messing about normal ??

I can’t understand how you can offer the asking price – but not really mean it !!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Bee07 wrote:

I can’t understand how you can offer the asking price – but not really mean it !!!!

You sure the auctioneer isn't just messing with you because he wants his 1% before christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Have you never offered anything for sale before? They're chancing their arms and trying to see just how badly you might need to sell. They (presumably) aren't aware of any situation or reasons you may have for selling.

Offering the asking price and then trying to get you to lower it is a daft way to go about it of course - they should have started lower and then hope that panic might set in with you.

Of course at the end of the day you have the house and they want it, so if you don't need to sell fast, stick to your guns and see what happens in January.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bee07 wrote:
    We’re in the process of trying to sell our house – went to a couple of auctioneers who advised to hold off until after Christmas before putting if officially on the market – grand!!
    so you have no deal with the auctioneer. The going rate nowadays is c. 0.5% commission + their advertising and signage costs as agreed.

why would an auctioneer send them on to you when there is no deal or contract, they get nothing !
    Got a call the other weekend to say there were two interested parties in our house did we want to show it – lovely – the first guy came in and offered the asking price – but then last Thursday he pulled out – but the other couple were still interested – they had a second viewing and then offered the asking price too – they were due to pay the holding dep on Monday but called the auctioneer and asked if we’d drop the price – we said no – they said they’d have to think about it - she called the wife yesterday to see what the story was – again the wife asked if we’d drop the price – again the auctioneer said no – and she said she’d think about it again – asked the auctioneer to call the husband last night for a decision – but he didn’t/wouldn’t answer
    could happen is there are feck all houses in a desirable are or if the auctioneer was testing the prices . you also have nutters who view every house that comes up . Its a home decoration fetish compulsive thing with some of them I hear .
    I am afraid so , both ****ed up sellers and auctioneers who encourage these people along .

because FF is basically the auctioneers party which means a deal is not a deal even after the price is agreed and the deposit paid. The whole process is a mess, starting with teh fact that an auctioneer sent people along to annoy you even though you have no contract with them to sell the house have you .

sort that first or find another auctioneer ...who will probably send the same weirdos along I am sorry to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bee07

I don't blame the auctioneer I know its the couple who are messing her about - and yes it is my first time selling a house

we're in the lucky position that we've been given planning permission to build and have a good builder who is ready to go when we are - so we want to sell ASAP to get started on the build - but at the same time we're not under pressure - the auctioneer has explained this to them as they had been soooo keen itinally to get the hold this settled ASAP as they are renting and want to move in as quick as they could - so the urgency was on their half initally - and now they're just messing!!!:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

welcome to the big bag world of gazundering , best of luck with the sale Bee07

if they are messing you around now then they may be worse later on in the process , if your looking for a quick sale then see what they're lower offer is and if it isn't substantial then go sale agreed, if it's ridiculous to you to accept a lower offer then hang about till january

couple of things to bear in mind last thursday was the day after rates rose which meant your first prospects mortgage approval figure would have dropped as would your second prospect also which would more than likely explain the now lower offer (they got mortgage approval , interest rates rose and now the figure that they were approved for has dropped)

finally it wouldn't be a bad idea to realise that property prices are "softening" (at best) and have been for over 6 months , so a delay could not be the wisest move if things worsen in january , click here to see what i mean

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The auctioneer probably said the magic word "quick sale" so they reckon B is stuck and will discount for them to get the "quick sale" .

Its a time to hold the nerve if your hand is strong !

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bee07 wrote:
    Got a call the other weekend to say there were two interested parties in our house did we want to show it – lovely – the first guy came in and offered the asking price – but then last Thursday he pulled out
    Last Thursday was the day after the budget. What many people were doing was going sale agreed on homes that were at relatively low prices for the moment, then waiting to see what the budget brought. If the budget brought lower stamp duty, then the buyer can go ahead and hope to see a quick inflation of the house price after he buys it due to people trying to get some cream from the stamp duty drop. If the stamp duty didn't change (like it didn't), then they dropped out without penalty.

I'd be very interested to see how many houses came back on the market from "Sale Agreed" after the budget.
    but the other couple were still interested – they had a second viewing and then offered the asking price too – they were due to pay the holding dep on Monday but called the auctioneer and asked if we’d drop the price – we said no – they said they’d have to think about it - she called the wife yesterday to see what the story was – again the wife asked if we’d drop the price – again the auctioneer said no – and she said she’d think about it again – asked the auctioneer to call the husband last night for a decision – but he didn’t/wouldn’t answer
    They're trying to gauge how desperate you are to sell. It's not exactly a seller's market at the moment. Prices are still relatively stable, but buyers aren't concerned that the house they see today will be worth another 10k next week (in fact, it's a little of the opposite). They can afford to hold off a few weeks - if you don't sell, you may drop your price. If you do sell, there are plenty of other places to look at.

This is prefectly normal. You have to view selling a house a business transaction. You have one product out there trying to get sold among thousands of other products. People will initially decide on your product, but until they buy, they're free to look at other products, and are free to decide to not buy yours at any point.

From both sides of the transaction, it's stressful and irritating. Buyers get pissed off when sellers pull out and sell to someone else at a higher price, and sellers get pissed off when buyers pull out and buy something else. Two offers in two weeks is actually quite good. Maintain patience...

Advertisement