Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail.

Options
  • 13-12-2006 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

It has come to me attention recently that a company called Retail are doing wireless broadband trials in my area. I looked them up on the web but found nothing to suggest that they were doing this. Its in association with eircom.
    Does anyone know or have any experience with this crowd? They install an ariael to pick up the signal. I am about a mile and a half from the transmitter.
    Thanks
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

kryan1 wrote:
    It has come to me attention recently that a company called Retail are doing wireless broadband trials in my area. I looked them up on the web but found nothing to suggest that they were doing this. Its in association with eircom.
    Does anyone know or have any experience with this crowd? They install an ariael to pick up the signal. I am about a mile and a half from the transmitter.
    Thanks
    Kevin

Could this possible be Eircom starting to actually use their Wireless allocation??? Or do i see pigs flying over a Blue moon?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

Altreab wrote:
    Could this possible be Eircom starting to actually use their Wireless allocation??? Or do i see pigs flying over a Blue moon?

well i think its quiet true as a friend of mine is hooked up for the last 2 months... I am trying to get hooked up my self. fingers crossed before christmas.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Altreab wrote:

Unlikely as eircom are making noises about selling off their masts, although I suppose it could be...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

kryan1 wrote:
    It has come to me attention recently that a company called Retail are doing wireless broadband trials in my area.
    Where is this happening ?

bealtine wrote:
    Unlikely as eircom are making noises about selling off their masts, although I suppose it could be...
    Really! Who would be interested in buying them? I live four mile from a mast with a good line of site, yet eircom is saying wireless is unavailable to me.. Hopefully some good would come from a sell off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

Really! Who would be interested in buying them? I live four mile from a mast with a good line of site, yet eircom is saying wireless is unavailable to me.. Hopefully some good would come from a sell off.

this is happening in co limerick. Ballylander, kilfinane, knocklong area. getting arieal installed next week. will keep you posted. But as far as i no, its eircom, as the guy i contacted is an eircom rep?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It seems VERY unlikley eircom would sell masts. Esp. since they own Meteor and want a 3G licence. But there would be a queue to buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

watty wrote:
    It seems VERY unlikley eircom would sell masts. Esp. since they own Meteor and want a 3G licence. But there would be a queue to buy them.

Possibly, but then they are desperate for cash...so who can tell?

Anyway this piece was in last Sundays Business Post:

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=MARKETS-qqqs=themarket-qqqid=19496-qqqx=1.asp

I wonder if the government would be interested in buying them. They could take that valuable spectrum off of eircom and resell it to the smaller ISP's. The ISP's would then buy space on the masts making a tiny little profit for the government and close the digital divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Sounds like they would sell the physical assets but hold on to the spectrum licence and lease back space on the masts from the new owners. They want to free up capital currently tied up in property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

watty wrote:
    Eircom might sell them if they get a suitable (for Eircom) Sale and leaseback arrangement ....this would make a lot of sense from a financial point of view. Sell the asset and retain use of the asset for a set lease price. Which may in fact be lower than what their present maintainance costs are, because the new owners will be spreading the full maintance cost of the masts over all their customers and not just eircom.
    just my 2 cent

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

SalteeDog wrote:
    Sounds like they would sell the physical assets but hold on to the spectrum licence and lease back space on the masts from the new owners. They want to free up capital currently tied up in property.

The masts have no connection to any spectrum licences.

Advertisement