Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative to nokia phones

• 13-12-2006 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend an alternative to nokia phones?
    they seem very slow at updating their firmwares on NSU, and also too pricey considering the issues people have with bugs in firmware on them,, and having to wait months for a firmware release to fix bugs.

can anyone recommend another make
    like for example someting comparable to the n73?

i had a look at the sony k800i anyone got any info on how good these are? battery life etc etc firmware updates etc? anyone got any experience using these?

any other make with similar features and ease of use?

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

SE K800i

I have the N70 atm and was going to get the N73 but then seen the K800, getting it soon. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Personally - I think Motorola are great.

I have an 18 month old razr I've used *a lot* and it still works ok.

My next phone will be a K1. / KRZR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i died a little inside when i read that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Me too. K800i seems a good choice to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'll second the SE K800i. Bargain on 02 billpay at the moment, loads of
    features for the price. Comes with a data cable and you can download
    firmware upgrades from the SE website and upgrade it yourself.
    Camera features on it are great, you can pick up a 1gb memory card
    cheaply enough. Only minor problem I have is the keys are a tad smaller
    than the Nokia phones I've used in the past. I was apprehensive switching
    to SE after using Nokia for last 8 years but must say I have no regrets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

i died a little inside when i read that

lol :D

Personally I don't like SE phones, they're nice phones but just something about them I don't like. Panasonic make nice phones but I think availability over here is fairly limited. I am basing that statement, on your question by the way, of good alternatives to Nokia. I found Panasonic to be very similar regards ease of use and functionality.

I would definately not recommend Motorola. But for light users they are ok I suppose. The hideous bugs usually only show up, or at least, show up enough to seriously frustrate when you use them considerably. The casual 'two calls a day and the odd message' person wouldn't have any problems really to be honest.

As much as I dislike them though I suppose I'd have to agree SE are probably your best bet, the best to rival Nokia in terms of functionality and features in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I disagree with all the Motorola bashing that seems to go on all the time... I recently switched to an E2 (after having used Nokias, Sagems :rolleyes: and SEs before).

The linux OS they put on the phone makes it highly modifiable and many communities have sprung up to support it (releasing their own firmwares, themes etc.) It's also a lot cheaper than other phones with the same functions (in fact many phones don't have the same feature set as the E2).

I would think that SE and Nokias are great light user phones; take a photo now and then, send a few messages, play a few java games... if you want to modify the operating system and be able to have close to unlimited access to the phone then Motorola's new lineup of phones (using the Chameleon platform) seems the way to go... /rant :)

On topic, the E2 is a great purchase as a music phone - and you won't have to break the bank to get it! Camera quality is subpar though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Down with Motorola he he he... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I'm trying to sell my brand new, SIM free Motorola SLVR L7i, just can't stand the user interface on it or on any Motorola phone!

I'm sticking with Nokia and Sony Ericsson from hereon.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Speaking as someone who sold phones, every single person who bought a Motorola phone from me got a little "idiot" label in my head... they just dont have stability, features, or value. They sell because they look nice and have good marketing. I'd say I saw a third of those people coming back with a malfunctioning phone.

I don't need to big up the K800, its great and everyone here has said so, for the record I concur.

Samsung are also able to produce the odd beauty, and OS wise are v similar to Nokia (their menus look like something out of XP, though!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

HavoK wrote:
    lol :D

Personally I don't like SE phones, they're nice phones but just something about them I don't like.

the damn joysticks! they keep breaking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Thirdfox wrote:
    I disagree with all the Motorola bashing that seems to go on all the time...

The linux OS they put on the phone makes it highly modifiable and many communities have sprung up to support it (releasing their own firmwares, themes etc.)

Didn't know that. IMO though the actual GUI Motorola installed is very boring and doesn't seem to have changed in a long time. Also having to make your bluetooth discoverable is a pain.

Must look into the mod side of things as their phones are stylish looking.

But for the time being for features you have to give it up for Nokia & Sony Ericsson, the two top phone makers.

Advertisement