Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Deal?

Options
  • 13-12-2006 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi All

If somebody could please help I would be very greatful. I bought a laptop 2months ago and I have now started to use the internet a lot so im going to buy broadband but don’t know much about it or the packages at all!! I live in the Dublin 9 area (Beaumont) and I will be mainly using my broadband for downloading music and then videos from youtube. I know one thing for defo that I cant get NTL so if anyone could help me with picking a package it would be a huge help! Thanks for any info!

Best Regards
    David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Have you a telephone line already?

Take a look here:
    http://www.getbroadband.ie/

Personally I would recommend Digiweb Metro (www.digiweb.ie)
    or
    Irish Broadband Breeze.
    Neither requires a phone line and the digiweb is probably the cheapest phone/BB combo available.

You will of course have people tell you these two service are a pile of crap, but they have always worked well for me.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

To figure out what package is best for you, you'll need to consider the following:

Will you be using it for online gaming? (Xbox360, PC Gaming, etc)
    Do you want to download a lot of files? (many, many linux ISOs and HD Clips from Microsoft undoubtedly, not the odd youtube video or iTunes album)
    Is it more important that everything be downloaded as fast as possible, or just that it gets down within a reasonable time?
    What are you willing to pay per month?

Edit: and of course what's available to you :)

See getbroadband.ie for some reasonably accurate information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

www.callcosts.ie has more accurate information - e.g. it includes Smart as a BB supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Fanfan

Wont be downloading to much but want to be downloaded fast. I suppose i could pay about 30 to 35ish a month for it. Any ideas for me floks?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You havent answered many questions there fanfan, so you arent really doing a great job of asking for/getting advice.
    Some more questions.
    Do you require a telephone?
    Have you an existing telephone line?
    Does you budget include line rental if you have a phone line?

If you dont factor in the line rental and 35 yoyo is your budget, I would recommend the IBB 2 meg package if you can get it:
    http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products.php?goto=home#product_display

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

kippy wrote:
    If you dont factor in the line rental and 35 yoyo is your budget, I would recommend the IBB 2 meg package if you can get it:
    http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products.php?goto=home#product_display

I wouldn't recommend IBB, Digiweb Metro for €35 would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Fanfan

Sorry Kippy.
    Do you require a telephone? No i have a telephone.
    Have you an existing telephone line? Yes with Eircom
    Does you budget include line rental if you have a phone line? No budget doesnt include line rental.
    I must also mention i dont wana change my home phone number as i was asked to do before when i rang a broadband provider.

Anyother questions i should answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Since you have a phone line already you should check your phone number in the line checker on eircom or BT Ireland's websites to see if it's suitable. If it is, then BT's bundled line rental and broadband is very good value for money, starting at €35 for 1Mb incl line rental. No phone number change is required. I believe eircom now have bundled rental and BB packages so it might be worth checking their site for prices.

Word of warning on BT, they have a habit of loosing orders, over charging and generally being useless when things go wrong. They are cheap though and the broadband itself has never given me a problem in the last three years. eircom charge the most so they are not very good value for money. Some people prefer to stay with eircom as they believe any issues will be sorted quicker. I'm not convinced of that though having dealt with eircom directly on a number of occasions. It was never a positive experience.

Advertisement