Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Hand Book Shops

Options
  • 13-12-2006 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Moved out of home recently and realised i have too many books and not enough room, does anyone know of any 2nd hand bookshops that buy books off you for cash anymore.

I have looked in a few places but all they offer is store credit, and tbh I'm only offloading them because I don't have room for them so replacing them with more is not an option!!

Thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Chapters in Middle Abbey Street? They used to pay but the rates were low.

How about a car boot sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Sengoku79

Forgot about Chapters, re boot sale do you know any places where there is one upcoming?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The SU bookshop in Trinity have a few novels etc. Go through Front Arch, take a left immediately and it's upstairs in the first door to the left of the Arch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is a place called book worm in middle abbey street, its just around from supermacs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Sengoku79 wrote:
    Forgot about Chapters, re boot sale do you know any places where there is one upcoming?

No idea but I will ask my sis... she is addicted to them!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Chapters used to be very good that way but not so much anymore, they've gotten very choosy about what books they'll buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

theres another place on georges street (near JWT and where the old bike store use to be) called the dandeloin? not a hundred percent certain on the name but my brother used to flog all his old books there

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ClareBear wrote:
    Chapters used to be very good that way but not so much anymore, they've gotten very choosy about what books they'll buy.
    Yes, they will only take paperbacks and relatively good sellers. They rarely offer you more than €1 per book even for 'new' best sellers. They prefer to give a credit receipt but will give cash but it is a lesser amount than the credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TBH, what you can't sell in a shop, sell here http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=36

Its the book forum in the adverts section. Log into adverts.ie with the same logon you use here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I used to work in a second hand bookshop. We generally gave 1/4 of the selling price in cash. But we would only take new books (ie published recently) or books from very popular authors.
    We had to be very picky as certain books just don't sell. You learn from experience which books sell and at what prices. We also preferred people to take credit and not cash. You got a better rate for trade ins if you took credit.

It's closed down now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

The Wise Owl, Clare Hall Shopping Centre, Malahide Road, Dublin 17. Used to give cash. Under new management now, so give them a ring.

Advertisement