Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp patches on Walls in New House

Options
  • 13-12-2006 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Firstly I know that the weather has been wet (understatement) lately, however a while back I asked about slight damp patches I noted while tiling, say around the patio door.

Now however these have grown and have started moving up the walls. We were sitting down for dinner the other nite and I noted shadows, which turned out to be a damp patch half way up the wall beside the patio. On further inspections I noted more

1. Damp running along the top of the skirting board on the gable end of the kitchen wall next to the patio.
    2. Damp just inside the PVC utility door (Next to the patio door)
    Also I've noted that water accumulates on the step outside which would affect one side of the patio door and the utility, however I cannot see the same on the other side except water acculates in the alleyway beside the gable but does not touch the wall?

3. A large damp patch in the utility next to and encroaching on the ceiling.
    Regarding item 3 I am 99% sure that the drain from the ensuite toilet runs directly above. And we had a severe blockage a few weeks ago. Could this have caused a seal to break?

Am I missing something here, shouldn't a damp course prevent this?

Thanks ,

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Sounds like you could have a few different reasons, any chance of posting some pics and with a bit of luck we might be able to spot something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

What is the wall construction
    Brick Block cavity wall?
    Was the cavity fully filled? or Partially filled?
    Timber Frame Wall?
    Single skin hollow block wall?

Advertisement