Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[REQ] Brussel Sprouts - make em interesting?

• 13-12-2006 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

I got landed with cooking the sprouts for a big nosh up this weekend.

Anyways to make em a little more interesting - cheese em?

Any suggestions welcome - excluding throw em in the bin....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Personally, I like them boiled ..but don't over do them, and also boil them in some sort of stock (I normally use the water from the boiled ham at Christmas etc).

bbc.co.uk/food has tons of interesting sprout recipies in their recipies finder. Have a look and see if any of them take your fancy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I did some last year from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstalls book.

Basically you need, some sprouts, some double cream (2 tbsp), pancetta or streaky bacon, chestnuts, salt and pepper.

Cut a cross in the pointy end of the chestnut skins, then toast them in a dry skillet. Take them off once toasted then let them cool then peel and chop them.
    Chop your pancetta or streaky bacon into small cubes then fry them in the pan.
    Cook your sprouts until "al dente" then pop them into a liquidiser, to this add the double cream and blitz it up lightly, not a lot you don't want a puree, then throw the chopped chestnuts ( hold some back) in and salt and pepper and blitz again just to mix it really.
    Take the blade out of the mixer then add most of the bacon and mix it in by hand, then take the lot out and pop it in a serving dish and top with the leftover chestnut and bacon.

I always hated sprouts, but this was one of the nicest things on last years Xmas dinner.

THIS ONLY works if you DON'T OVERCOOK the sprouts or you will end up with a mushy (probably tasty) not very presentable puree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I cook them normally in boiling salted water, and I like them slightly softer than 'al dente' but not mushy .. about 8-10 minutes does it for me. Take some panchetta (or Lidl's bacon bits!) and fry it up in a large frying pan or wok to release the fat, pop in some chopped chestnuts (I get mine ready peeled in a vacuum pack :) ) and then the sprouts. Give them a quick stir fry, season with a bit of black pepper and optionally a grind of nutmeg, and serve. I've meddled with adding various kinds of cream too, but it didn't do it for me I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Great suggestions people thx a mill.

Think the pancetta/garlic may be a winner.

Great suggestions people thx a mill.

Think the pancetta/garlic may be a winner.
    Can't remember garlic being mentioned anywhere .. although I have to say I tried it once and I don't think the two flavours complement each other very well. Sprouts are naturally quite bitter, and the garlic somehow seems to accentuate that.

• Advertisement

Woops - dunno where that garlic came from .. have garlic in my head for some reason ...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

My dad has a great recipe for them, it's the only way I actually like to eat them.

You boil until al dente and then saute them in butter with salt, lots of pepper and nutmeg. Delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

In Paul Flynn's book he cooks them with Cidona. Looks interesting, but I haven't tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I put about 1/4" of water in teh bottom of the pan, with a tiny pinch of sugar. Bring to the boil, and add a healthy pinch of salt.
    Throw in sprouts, bung the lid back on, and give it no more than 3 mins.

Half-boiled, half-steamed, and the tiny bit of sugar sets it off a treat. I do most crunchy veg this way...chopped into roughly the same size, thrown in together.

I wouldn't even call it al dente. "Raw but heated" is maybe closer ;)

bonkey wrote:
    I wouldn't even call it al dente. "Raw but heated" is maybe closer ;)
    Death to crunchy vegetables, I say :D:D ( .. and especially for sprouts!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

/me makes mental note...

If that soggy-veg lover ever comes round to eat....do spag bol.

:)

Ended up with:

Sprouts,Pancetta,Cream,Breadcrumbs,Parmesan Cheese,Almonds

Sprouts : Boil until al dente
    Pancetta / Almonds : Brown in Pan
    - add in sprouts, cream and boil for 10 minutes.
    Place mix in baking dish. Cover with breadcrumbs mixed with some parmesan.
    Bake for 20 mins

- delish, went down a treat.

Advertisement