Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What good is a bluetooth car radio? Lidl €109 next mon.

• 13-12-2006 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

link:BluetoothCarRadio.

It would be really fine if the car radio would replace a hands-free, but I presume it's only for music transfer from phone to car radio.

And what does this mean ""Decodes and encodes through USB 2.0 and memory card slot" I understand that if I put in a card with an MP3 file on it it will play it, that would be decoding,, so what does encoding mean.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Comments

I'm guessing it switches off when the phone rings, and also is a handsfree..

oherwise, I cant see the point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

If it really does switch off when phone rings, and takes the call. It's really great value. It plays CDs as well. There are Bluetooth car kits out there thay cost €150, and they don't play CDs, don't have USB ports, or play MP3s. That is just too good to be true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

Got one of these a few months ago the music does cut off and you'll hear the phone ringing through your speakers.

You just press a button on the unit to pick up and it has a builtin mic.

Had people in the back seat talking away to people through the mic.

Works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

yep, a friend got this one in maplins a while ago. Acts like a handsfree kit. Pretty handy, and it also recognises mp3 cds

Thats all great news. I'll buy it. I wonder any chance Lidl will be offering cheap cars any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Sounds good. How do I know if I can install it in my car?

How do I know if I can install it in my car?

Haven't got any hands on knowledge, as only drive what would be considered bangers, but newer radios and/or cars are fitted with what is reffered to as an ISO connector. In the case of Radio or car not matching up Maplins, Halfords, etc, sell bridging connectors. Will check the local Halfords, probably Friday and find out more. Am really not sure whether it's the car or the radio that have the ISO connector. ( ISO= International Standards Organisation)

So just checked, all after-market car radios, i.e the Lidl jobby, should have an ISO; newer cars,(Peugeot since 96 have ISO connectors). Still don't know if that means they connect right off, or just that bridging them is more straight forward. Some car kits, connect in using these ISO bridges.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

If it has ISO then you are sorted.
    It's pretty much plug and play if ya are any way handy with DIY.
    if your car does not have ISO you can buy and adaptor from a local Motor factors or Autoleads.

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Sharp wrote:
    Got one of these a few months ago the music does cut off and you'll hear the phone ringing through your speakers.

You just press a button on the unit to pick up and it has a builtin mic.

Had people in the back seat talking away to people through the mic.

Works a treat.
    Hey Sharp

Does this have aux in? Whats the usb like, does it only pick up the likes of a 1gb memory stick or will it pick up a 30gb mp3 player that isn't an ipod?

Does anyone know the make/serial number of this stereo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

If anyone wants one and it turns out to be popular item you better be in the queue 15 to 30 minutes b/4 they open (I suggest 7.30am) because it will sell out in five minutes from my experience .... :rolleyes:

They will only have so many .... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

Nephew wrote:
    Hey Sharp

Does this have aux in? Whats the usb like, does it only pick up the likes of a 1gb memory stick or will it pick up a 30gb mp3 player that isn't an ipod?

Mine has Aux in but in the form of a audio jack no USB. This model may have a USB connector.

Have a creative Zen that i was going to use with it but it plays MP3's so loaded up a few CD's with my favorite tracks 100 plus on each and never bothered trying the Zen.

As for the bridging connector in the event you car connector is non ISO
    Halfords i found the cheapest, around €20 but only a difference of 4-5 euro with other places. Oh one last thing you may need a fascia as i had to replace a ford monster and it leaves a gap they cost about €18 in Halfords depending on the model of car and radio your replacing, had to get an aerial adopter also for the back of the radio you may not need it only cost €2-3 euro got it up in the auto shop in Stillorgan on the main road.

And on the morning I got mine. Don't go running around looking for them they have them at the checkouts. I arrived at 11.50 on a Sunday morning with large percentage of the taxi drivers in the que , with the demand they opened a extra checkout to get rid of the crowd and i was in like a light.

Some people had been queuing from early not happy bunnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭octyvrs

Nephew wrote:

the brand is welltech, cant see a model no. though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

pretty sure this doesn't haev AUX IN :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

No AUX IN, no deal as far as I'm concerned. Would make for a cheap iPod car kit: just plug it into the AUX IN and go! Sure not as fancy as what they have in the new BMW's, but a major improvement on using a FM radio transmitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

**** one about the NO AUX in alright, my bro got the Aldi one there a few months ago and it's perfect for portable MP3 player, bluetooth and AUX in, all you need really! It was only €130 too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

there is a less sophisticated player coming up at ALDI on the 21st Dec .... no web link yet but it's in the latest Store Leaflet ....

Car CD/MP3 player/RDS Receiver/USB/SD/MMC interface ....

By Tevion for .... 69.99 euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

What time in the morning guys would you have to be there for this?
    Going to pick it balbriggan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Link.

Doesn't look half bad, for €69.99! :)
    • AM/FM MP3 car stereo with RDS function
    • CD/MP3/WMA playback with CD-R/CD-RW capacity
    • USB cable and USB Line-In cable (plug in your MP3 directly)
    • ID3 Tag display
    • SD/MMC card slot
    • 30 pre-set radio stations
    • Detachable front panel
    • Electronic Shock Protection (ESP): 45 secs. for CD, 120 secs. for MP3
    • Noise filter
    • RCA output for external amplifier
    • Full-time clock display
    • High power 4 × 40 watt max.
    • ISO connector
    • Also includes free remote control
    • Auxiliary input for connection to external devices including iPods

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone know if either of these has Long Wave ?

Does anyone know how advanced the usb function on the aldi and lidl car stereos are? I have an archos av500 full of mp3s but something tells me if I connected it up to one of these radios it wouldnt be able to play the mp3s on it through usb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

/I bought one today will let you guys know how it goes

Thanks. I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me how the usb decoder is when connected to a mp3 player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

will the aldi one for 130 with aux in be coming back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just to let the OP know I installed one of these last nights and the its an excellent device. In relation to the handsfree function - it worked with my Nokia E50 100%, I have two phones, one for business and one personal and it was always a pain trying to switch between phones with the Nokia bluetooth kit, so now I have one connected to the Nokia Car Kita and one connected to the Radio and let me tell you the radio handsfree works everybit as good as the Nokia one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Am I right in assuming that its just a case of seconds for the radio to link up with the phone once the radio is switched on?

I was a happy camper last year to get the silvercrest radio/cd/sd-card/usb/aux in - radio. Now I wish I'd waited and bought one of the bt radios...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

I bought one of these too and am slightly disappointed so far.

firstly, there is an audible hiss through my speakers (which wasnt a problem with my last head unit) when i play cd's, mp3 cd's or even the radio.

also, the radio presets dont save which i hear is due to an iso connection problem and switching wires solves. read here:- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055031819

anybody else have these problems? cant stand the hiss - it is very obvious at lower volumes and soft sounding songs like background static :(

oh and also, bluetooth keeps on going out of sync with my phone - sony ericsson w800i - no problems with other bluetooth devices which are paired with this phone either :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

Yes, I have 3 different nokias and calls are bluetooth connection goes if a communication runs for more than 10/15 mins
    in my latest one I can swap to loudspeaker and back to bluetooth, but in the oldies no way, they won't pick it up unless I remove the key and start again
    has anyone found why is this? or how to go around it?

I also have the hiss, probably due to low quality of transistors in the amplifiers

Advertisement