Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan CCTV

• 13-12-2006 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

One would wonder why this Kevin Coleman character can't walk to the station or use the towns Bus Eireann local service to get to the station, surely if he's that worried about his car this would be the best option.

Anyhow, good to see FCC are putting some of the P&D money back into the town.

http://www.dublinpeople.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2014&Itemid=49
    Council vows to tackle car burglaries
    FINGAL County Council has confirmed that it is to install monitored CCTV cameras at a public car park in Balbriggan after a recent spate of burglaries. Strong calls had been made to the local authority to consider supplying security personnel to oversee the Quay Street car park, to try to combat the increasing number of cars being broken into and interfered with.
    A Balbriggan man, who parks his car at Quay Street every day, so as he can use the nearby Balbriggan railway station, told Northside People he was a recent victim.
    Kevin Coleman, who has lived in Balbriggan for the past six years, said he parks his car at Quay Street before taking a train into the city centre, where he works.
    Upon returning from work one evening, he found his car had been broken into.
    Mr Coleman said that after reporting the matter to gardai, it emerged his was the fourth such incident that day.
    “The front passenger window of my car had been broken in, my car stereo was stolen and the glove compartment had been rifled through but nothing else was taken,” he revealed.

Mr Coleman said that with no security staff at the car park, there is always an element of risk involved in leaving his car there.
    However, he said it’s vital to his everyday routine that he parks his car there and has no other option.
    “There was a time when I could park my car on the main street, where it is less likely to be broken into, but that became unfeasible with the introduction of Pay and Display parking,” he said.
    “There is no doubt that by parking the car nearer the station, it is more out of the way and susceptible to be broken into,
    “However, I feel the council could do more to secure the car park better to try and combat this. I rang the council to let them know about the situation,”
    Brendan Ryan, Labour’s candidate in Dublin North for the next general election, has called on Fingal County Council to employ security personnel at the car park and at the car park opposite the nearby St Peter and Paul’s Church.
    Mr Ryan said it would be regrettable if commuters lost confidence in the parking arrangements, which he said, have by and large been successful in Balbriggan.
    “The only way to reassure commuters and to encourage them to use public transport is for security to be provided,” Mr Ryan stated.
    A spokeswoman for Fingal County Council told Northside People that in order to improve security, it is proposed to install monitored CCTV cameras in the Quay Street car park.
    “In the St Peter and Paul’s car park, ducting is being laid to allow for public lighting and CCTV cameras to be installed,” she explained.
    “The CCTV cameras for these car parks have been ordered at a cost of e50,000 and should be installed early in the new year.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Bluetonic wrote:
    One would wonder why this Kevin Coleman character can't walk to the station or use the towns Bus Eireann local service to get to the station, surely if he's that worried about his car this would be the best option.

he may live in laytown/bettystown and drives to balbriggan for the train due to cheaper fares. It does happen.

Agree with you, about time something like this is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

sgarvan wrote:
    he may live in laytown/bettystown and drives to balbriggan for the train due to cheaper fares. It does happen.
    Kevin Coleman, who has lived in Balbriggan for the past six years

:rolleyes:

fair enough ooopppss

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

possibley because the town bus doesn't go at night and it might be a bit far to walk esp in this weather.

Moonbeam wrote:
    possibley because the town bus doesn't go at night and it might be a bit far to walk esp in this weather.

The article says he parks his car every day in the car park, I presume this includes, good and bad weather, spring, summer, winter and autumn. There is nowhere in Balbriggan that is more than a 15 minute walk to the train station.

The traffic in Balbriggan is something which has to be addressed sooner rather than later. While the pay & display parking has done wonders for the town, people are still using their cars far far far too much just to take a trip to the shops.

Personally I'd like to see a new one way system implemented on the towns main street northbound from the Market Green corner to the Garda Station, with Clonard Street and Chapel Street one way in alternative directions. This would greatly increase the flow of traffic in the town and encourage more people to get out on foot and get the lead out of the their arses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

OK so the CCTV catches someone in the act. What then? Gardai get a copy. "We'll look into it" and that will be the last that's heard of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

There is nowhere in Balbriggan that is more than a 15 minute walk to the train station.

Are you an athlete?????!!!!!!!

I agree that its handier to walk - but I'd be impressed by people making it from some of those new estates in NW Balbriggan in 15 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,785 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

wow sierra wrote:
    Are you an athlete?????!!!!!!!

I agree that its handier to walk - but I'd be impressed by people making it from some of those new estates in NW Balbriggan in 15 mins.

Not if you're 150 foot tall like Bluetonic.
    Check out Blue's shoes...

01.jpg

wow sierra wrote:

Furthest estate away in Balbriggan would be a little north west of Dunne Stores, One could do that easily in 15 minutes, it's approx 1.5km to the train station.

Come on lard arses, get the finger out.

Hill Billy wrote:
    Not if you're 150 foot tall like Bluetonic.
    Check out Blue's shoes...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Bluetonic wrote:
    There is nowhere in Balbriggan that is more than a 15 minute walk to the train station.

Slight exageration maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭dubmick

when I lived behind the golf club it used to take me about 25 minutes to walk to the train station.

dubmick wrote:
    when I lived behind the golf club it used to take me about 25 minutes to walk to the train station.

In Balrothery.

Moonbeam wrote:
    Slight exageration maybe?

There is walking and there is sauntering around, I'm talking about walking.

Bluetonic wrote:
    In Balrothery.
    Ardgillen Heights is in Balbriggan, I know I lived there and my parents still do. A lot of the residents of the Chantries/Ardgillen Heights would like to think they live in Balrothery but it is actually Balbriggan.

So is Ardgillan Heights!! Only joking!!

Oh just you originally said the back of the Golf Club, which would be Darcystown/Balrothery, the side of Wavin is a little bit different!

Do you have small legs? :D

Bluetonic wrote:
    So is Ardgillan Heights!! Only joking!!

Oh just you originally said the back of the Golf Club, which would be Darcystown/Balrothery, the side of Wavin is a little bit different!

Do you have small legs? :D

It is Ardgillen Heights! :)

dubmick wrote:
    It is Ardgillen Heights! :)

Was just joking as I've seen so many spellings of it!

I believe the plan is to run the Bus Eireann bus up that way in the near future when there will be too buses running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,785 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bluetonic wrote:

Darcystown isn't near the golf club. It is the far side of Balrothery heading out towards the Cross of the Cage/New Road, etc.

Hill Billy wrote:
    Darcystown isn't near the golf club. It is the far side of Balrothery heading out towards the Cross of the Cage/New Road, etc.

Yes indeed, the 'townsland' of Darcystown is at the back of the Golf Club. A few fields separate the Willys pitch and putt club with the Golf Club, I would say thats near on the grand scale of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Want to be fairly fit to walk from far end of Flemington Lane to train station in 15mins.
    Though I don't see point in so many people taking cars etc, it's 15-20ish mins walk, not that big of a deal...

dubmick wrote:
    Ardgillen Heights is in Balbriggan, I know I lived there and my parents still do. A lot of the residents of the Chantries/Ardgillen Heights would like to think they live in Balrothery but it is actually Balbriggan.

Ardgillen Heights is defo Balbriggan. Used to live there myself with the parents. 25/30 minutes would be about the time that it would take to walk to the train station. Would walk it quite a lot and it wasnt that bad. going home was the worst, when you hit the hill at wavin.

Advertisement