Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Fires

Options
  • 13-12-2006 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Quick question.......

Does anyone find the flames on their gas fire extremely low?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I haven't had this problem and I'm sure you've already checked this out?!...

...The two knobs to the bottom of the fire....I think one is for flame level the other is for igniting the fire....anyways when I turn on the fire I ignite it using the latter then I switch the other around to about 3 or 4 for flame level (I must take a look at it later to see what I'm really doing). I think it can go up to 5.

If this isn't helping you might have a look at the cut-off valve to the side of the chimneybreast. There'll be a small hole (approx 20mm diameter) in a facing plate (light siwtch size) and the gas pipe connection for the fire can be seen through it with the cut-off valve on the pipe. The valve is opened and closed using a flat-head screwdriver. If the indentation for the screwdriver is in line with the pipework then it is open. If its perpendicular, then its closed. Have a gander to see what position its in.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ADK

Hi,
    On this subject, my gas fire has never been right and you could spend ages trying to ignite it, sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't. Well it seems to have finally stopped working and now won't ignite at all. Does anyone know who I could get in touch with to come and fix it?
    Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

There could be dust on the flint or there was no flint put there in the first place. I got Bord Gáis to look at my gas fire when I had a slight problem with lighting it.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks a lot. Guess I'll have to call them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I would check for a warranty on the unit first...also..how long having you been living there? Under a year?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

ive noticed the fire will extinguish itself after about 10 or 15 minutes...
    anybody get to call bord gais?:cool: :confused:

Hi,
    Well called in Bord Gais and they charged 80 euro to tell us that we need a new part which he's not sure is available. Seems like these fires aren't built to be mended but replaced. Anyway the ignition is broken and he reckons it could cost about 300 euro to fix if the part is available :mad:
    He then suggested that we could light it with a match which we are doing cos I certainly don't have 300 euro spare at the moment.
    Hope it's safe :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

I have yet to get our gas-fire to work.

Is it worth getting on to Durkan's about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bilinomates

Hey, I just wanted to say a big thank you for the suggestions re fixing the ignition of a gas fire. I've been living in thermals for the past week, googled the problem and your thread popped up. I blew on ignition, wiped away some debris & low and behold am now cosying up beside the fire again! An obvious solution I know, but thanks all the same!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

ADK wrote:
    Hi,
    Well called in Bord Gais and they charged 80 euro to tell us that we need a new part which he's not sure is available. Seems like these fires aren't built to be mended but replaced. Anyway the ignition is broken and he reckons it could cost about 300 euro to fix if the part is available :mad:
    He then suggested that we could light it with a match which we are doing cos I certainly don't have 300 euro spare at the moment.
    Hope it's safe :eek:

Speaking from personal experience Bord Gais are the biggest cowboys around when it comes to repairs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Just a little note to any parents out there to have a good look at your gas fire before lighting it. Just yesterday while my two adorable children were not 100% I was being the doting mother and decided to wrap them both up on the sofa and light the gas fire for them......two minutes later as screams of panic could be heard from the sitting room I ran in to discover plumes of smoke billowing from the top of the gas fire! In a panic I turned it off grabbed a half dressed child under each arm and legged it....as you do. I ran into the only neighbours that I knew of and they quickly came to my assistance. Eventually when the plumes of smoke became a trickle the eldest child confessed to shoving a banana skin and a chocolate muffin through the gap at the top of the fire.

The moral of the story is 1.My neighbours are wonderful!:)
    2.My children are not!:mad:

By the way there was a lovely smell of baking in the sitting room for about a day!:)

Advertisement