Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else sick of the **** bus service?

Options
  • 13-12-2006 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

It's absolutely terrible. Why is nothing being done about this?

I commute to UCC from the railway station. Sometimes two buses in a row just won't come. I here that some bus drivers don't bother going to the railway station as it means they can go straight to the depo instead.

A lot of the time they come and say "City Centre only" when they're meant to be going as far as CIT.

This is madness. You could blame the terrible Cork traffic but even when it's light the buses never seem to come on time(Except when they're 2 minutes too early and refuse to wait for anyone), which in turn hardly helps the traffic either, does it? A lot of the time the drivers get off when a bus pulls in, to go the toilet no doubt, and come back with bottles of lucazade and bags of crisps.

There must be something that can be done. If everyone wrote and complained, I don't know. We shouldn't have to put up with this ****.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

The bus I get frequently leaves too early. This is SO annoying because it means I (and everyone else along the route) misses it! I usually go to the bus stop about ten or fifteen minutes before it should arrive only to discover it's already passed- a lot of times I'll be at my bus stop BEFORE it's even supposed to have left, and it's already passed! I've been stuck out in the rain so many times over this- since when do you have to go to the bus stop 20 minutes early just to make sure you catch it?

The CIT buses are majorly messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

I usually get the 8 which didn't should up the other morning and I asked the bus driver if he was late or was just that other bus had left early and got some attitude in return.

I also get the 5 to college from Patrick’s St at night and if I miss the 5pm one then the next two do not show up.

Two weeks ago I was on the 5 going up O’Donovan’s Rd and the bus stopped for about 15 minutes because it could not get through.

Is there a complaint line or address I could write to?

j

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I take the 10 now and again. Seems to be either 5-10 minutes early, 20 minutes (then I guess those two might be the same) or not run at all. I'm quite I happy I don't depend on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

get a bike, you'll probably beat the buses out to CIT with the traffic in the morning and again coming home plus you'll get fit too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Yeah its a disgrace, i'd love if there was an independent audit done (any interested politician? election on the way) monitor the buses on a few routes, it would tell a sorry tale, leaving everyone standing in the rain and cold day after day including old people. You have to have your own transport in this city be it bicycle, moped, motorbike or car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ivuernis

It's bad at the best of times, chronic the last few weeks when the weather has been really bad.

It get the No. 2 and the No. 10 on regular occasions and traffic aside there are many occassions when drivers take no notice of the timetable. I've missed buses 'cos they take off 5-10mins before time, waited for buses that never come and others than are anywhere from 15-30mins late.

I've written many letters of complaint to info@buseireann.ie

Probably gets me nowhere but at least someone has to read it. Everyone should do it until the message gets through and the service is improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

The 222 has to be the worst service in existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Sounds like everyone has about the same experience then. Always leaving too early or too late.

The college bus times are completely wrong. The problem is if they bring them forward the Bus drivers will think they have extra time to get there.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

just curious - are you the same Rozie that used frequent the UL boards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Got the No. 8 most mornings for about 4 years. So many wasted hours every morning. You'd be lucky if every second bus showed up. Despite their excuses, the traffic situation didn't seem to make a difference. In fact, the off-peak service was generally the worst. The "city centre only" thing was what really got my goat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Stark wrote:
    Got the No. 8 most mornings for about 4 years. So many wasted hours every morning. You'd be lucky if every second bus showed up. Despite their excuses, the traffic situation didn't seem to make a difference. In fact, the off-peak service was generally the worst. The "city centre only" thing was what really got my goat.

Yes, the buses are horrible at night. You get buses packed full of drunken students or students waiting to get drunk who've been waiting an hour for one. Not pleasant and there is absolutely no guarantee on what time they'll come whatsoever, though they do at least come at some time for the most part, unlike the buses in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

The 222 has to be the worst service in existence.
    Seconded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

ya i think the services in general is a disgrace, dont get me started on the 3... Friday evening between 4.50 - 6.00 no bus usually comes... disgrace. think that's mostly all evenings too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Try relying on the 8a, a bus that only goes every 2 to 3 hours, sometimes they don't even bother, sometimes they leave early. Also, between 4 and 6pm, if you're getting an 8 from town, you'd better not mind having your face in someone's armpit.

Last year I was taking the orbital from CIT to Stiofan Naofe, it was ALWAYS late, from 20 mins to an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

I find the Ballincollig service terrible as well, especially on a Sunday when they're only every few hours. Why it's still considered a "country" service is beyond me. And they charge €4.50 return, or at least they did a couple of years ago.. probably gone up by now.

(It might be some cold comfort that things aren't that much better in Dublin where I stay on the main route serving Beaumont Hospital into the city. The timetable is largely a work of fiction, and they frequently leave town up to five minutes early, making it very easy to miss. I plan on moving soon.)

betelgeuse wrote:
    Why it's still considered a "country" service is beyond me.

Ballincollig is still considered "Co. Cork" afaik. There are moves to make it officially part of Cork City though.
    (It might be some cold comfort that things aren't that much better in Dublin where I stay on the main route serving Beaumont Hospital into the city. The timetable is largely a work of fiction, and they frequently leave town up to five minutes early, making it very easy to miss. I plan on moving soon.)

You really need to get closer to the city so that several routes pass by the same stop. That said, when I lived in Fairview, the 123 service was bloody excellent. Those were the days when if I saw a bus at the stop in front of me, instead of running for it, I'd stroll along calmy thinking "Ah sure, let it go, there'll be another one along in 5 minutes". Big difference in comparison the No. 8 route in Cork: "Ah feck. Looks like it's walk or get a taxi to college this morning".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

Stark wrote:
    Ballincollig is still considered "Co. Cork" afaik.
    That's true, but for all practical purposes it's a suburb of the city. At the moment you have ~ 20,000 people 12 mins from the city centre relying on buses coming from Tralee and places like that to get in. Ridiculous.
    Stark wrote:
    There are moves to make it officially part of Cork City though.
    I saw the proposed new boundary.. it stops at Curaheen on the west :mad:
    Stark wrote:
    You really need to get closer to the city so that several routes pass by the same stop.
    Yip, plans are afoot! In fact I want to be within walking distance of the CC, but need Dart access too. So my rent will probably be doubling but feck it, I'd only spend it on alcohol anyway :)

betelgeuse wrote:
    Yip, plans are afoot! In fact I want to be within walking distance of the CC, but need Dart access too. So my rent will probably be doubling but feck it, I'd only spend it on alcohol anyway :)

I don't think it would increase that much. You should be able to get a room for around €400 within walking distance of the centre easily enough.
    betelgeuse wrote:
    That's true, but for all practical purposes it's a suburb of the city. At the moment you have ~ 20,000 people 12 mins from the city centre relying on buses coming from Tralee and places like that to get in. Ridiculous.

It's a bit stupid alright. Glanmire is in the same boat, a suburb of the city for the same purposes but part of Co. Cork and not getting what you'd call a "city bus service" at all.

In Dublin, Dublin Bus serves several counties, not just Dublin City. It serves Dublin City, the 3 "Dublin" counties and parts of Wicklow and Meath. The service to the outer areas might be **** compared to the inner city services but it's still comparable to what they term a city service in Cork. They tend to keep an eye on their drivers more in Dublin with occasional radio calls to the driver and I think they might have some sort of bus tracking facility as well. They don't seem to do that in Cork at all from what I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bjd

stev2604 wrote:
    Seconded.

thirded-ed-ed-ed - whatever the next one is anyway

the 222 is appalling, i just moved to carrigaline and its a third world service - all those houses built down there, its no wonder its the biggest car using town in Ireland - only way is to fix it is write to Bus Eireann and also its an election year next year so annoy the s**t out of simon coveney and michael mcgrath and all the other local politicians when they come to your door

carrigaline badly and sadly needs a nightlink as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Having just seen this thread I was amused to see the number 10 bus running up to Mahon Point with a sign it side.....

"This is not a bus.....Its a Service" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Hate to ruin the joke and all .............. but i think it actually says "This is not a bus......it's a venue" in an add for vodafone, downloading music and all that. But the buses in Cork are neither a service or a venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I've seen the Vodafone ones...this was very similar but definitely said 'service' & had a 'Happy & Safe New Year' message underneath from Bus Eireann logo on it.....

Anyways - it splashed me so I wasn't a happy customer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Cork urgently needs control of its own transport. Bus Eireann is a total joke. Actually suggesting that they provide a bus service in Cork is misleading. They do operate busses in Cork, but I'm not sure that you could call it a "service".

A good bus service in Cork could work so well too. It's an ideally sized city for busses and it has generally good roads.

Effectively a bunch of over-unionised driver who wouldn't know what a "service" was if it jumped up and bit them and Bus Eireann management who I sometimes suspect don't even know where Cork is are holding the development of the city's transport network up.

Something has to be done about this and done very urgently.

This may take a few mins but it's worth doing!

E-mail your local TD & CC their party's spokesperson on transport.
    Labour: (check www.labour.ie for your local TDs and councillors & candidates)
    Transport spokesperson: Rosin Shorthall
    http://www.labour.ie/roisinshortall/

Fine Gael: (www.finegael.ie [check for local tds/councillors and candidates])
    Transport spokesperson : Olivia Mitchell
    http://oliviamitchell.finegael.ie/Representatives/common/index.cfm

Fianna Fail:
    E-mail Micheal Martin : http://www.michealmartin.ie/ (Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment)

Martin Cullen (Minister for Transport)
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/person.php4?show=Minister&pid=59&bid=214

and contact all local FF TDs and Councillors.

Progressive Democrats:
    Transport Spokesperson : http://www.progressivedemocrats.ie/our_people/member/8/ Tom Morrissey (Senator)

Senator John Minihan (Cork South Central Dail Candidate)
    http://www.progressivedemocrats.ie/our_people/member/12/

Candidate : http://www.progressivedemocrats.ie/our_people/member/129/
    Dave Buckley (Cork North Central Dail Candidate)

Greens:
    Contact Dan Boyle TD, Cork South Central
    http://www.danboyle.ie/
    His peice on Cork Public Transport :
    http://www.danboyle.ie/index.php?pageID=1352

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

No mind bus services to the city, but to the country places like rathcormac,fermoy mitchelstown etc that route is a nightmare. I used to take the bus from fermoy to Cork everyday when i was in college & those buses were brutal & sometime never turned up at all. I think this is still happening but hey it's Bus Eireann for ya nothing like a ****e service!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

bjd wrote:
    carrigaline badly and sadly needs a nightlink as well
    Carrigaline had a Nitelink only a couple of years ago. I seem to remember insurance reasons being cited for it's discontinuation. It's a shít excuse though as Dublin Bus are capable of providing a Nitelink services to tens of destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

The Bus Eireann service is crap and the worst thing is - it does not have to be.

The busses are actually not that old, most being pretty modern and the road system isn't bad for busses here either.

Bus Eireann managment, Dublin bases managament, just does not seem to give a toss.

I depend on the no.2 and no.10 to get to and from UCC and yet they are almost always either too early or too late or do not run at all.
    Its happned a few times that I would wait near UCC for the 10 and ened up walking into ttown, thinking there's bound to be one wiaitng there and evenb if the timetable says one is on the way, it nbever comes!

I have written to Bus Eireann but have gotten no response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Only way you'll get it changed is to start putting it on the political agenda.

Tell any politican you meet that you will not vote for them if nothing's done.

If they call to your door, ask them what they propose to do about it.

And write/ring/fax/email.

Bus Eireann won't get back to you, and if they do they'll give you a bland standard response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

folks, why waste yer energy getting all worked up. The problem is:

Bus Eireann are a state monopoly. They don't care, civil servants with a job for life..who can even compete with them? No one can!

As one person said, get a bike and cycle, faster and you'll get fit (if you aren't knocked down and killed in the meantime of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ivuernis

Was on the No. 10 a few times last week, observations:
    • the bus I was on had this horrendeous noise coming from the engine every 5-10 secs
    • WHY isn't there a bus shelter at the stop outside MP and again at the stop near the CSO where there always seems to be loads of people WAITING FOREVER IN THE RAIN for the bus to arrive
    • the service is far too infrequent at peak hours and the traffic around MP during these hours means the buses are hardly ever on time.
    • why is there no knee room for anybody much more than average height
    • the single decker buses take forever to disembark from when full if you're not at the front

As has been said here Cork needs to be seperated from Bus Eireann á la Dublin Bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Angels wrote:
    No mind bus services to the city, but to the country places like rathcormac,fermoy mitchelstown etc that route is a nightmare. I used to take the bus from fermoy to Cork everyday when i was in college & those buses were brutal & sometime never turned up at all. I think this is still happening but hey it's Bus Eireann for ya nothing like a ****e service!!

Agreed - posted my latest experience recently.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055035909&referrerid=&highlight=

Advertisement