Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HomeBond Guarantee - where do I stand

Options
  • 13-12-2006 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

My house is 9 years old so still covered under the 10-year Home Bond guarantee.

I am not the initial owner of this house as I only bought it two years ago.

I have noticed that the PVC windows are in bad shape. There are a lot of draughts coming in. When the window closes there is a gap between window and frame. In some instances it is a nice snug fit at the bottom but can be a 3-5mm gap at the top.

I was talking to the builders who say that since I was not the initial owner of the house I do not have any contract with them so they are not liable -not sure about this.

I was onto the suppliers of the windows who offer a 10-year guarantee with their windows. However, when I told them that my windows are still under guarantee they claimed that the glass is covered for 10 years, the frames for 5 years and the hinges etc for 1 year.

Can anyone offer me some advice as to where I stand on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think you would be fighting a loosing battle here.

First of all Homebond cover only extends to the structural elements of the house - founds, floors, walls and roof so windows dont fall into these categories.

I doubt if you will get any change from the window guys as they will say its the hinges and thats long out of guarantee.

The builder is wrong about the Homebond cover on the house. It applies to the house irrespective of who lives in it.

Final word on this - write to Homebond but i cant see it doing much good but if you dont ask you dont get

Advertisement