Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th anniversary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

sadly missed . ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Hard to believe it's been five years. RIP Chuck.

chuckschuldinerfoto.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What exactly can one say? Chuck's music made an incredible impact on me, and probably millions of others. His influence is incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

What exactly can one say? Chuck's music made an incredible impact on me, and probably millions of others. His influence is incredible.

To be honest I often wondered why people held the tribute gigs for Dimebag Darrell - when, in my opinion, Chuck and Death were so much more of an influence then Pantera ever were

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I dunno man. Pantera defined an incredible sound for a generation. Dimebag's riffs are incredible, they wrote heavy with melodies and released incredible albums. Vulgar? Cowboys? remember? Plus with Dimebag's trademark headstock and range of rock guitars and self tabs, he is definitely the long lost über guitarist here, even moreso than the chuckster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Trademark headstock? You mean the Dean headstock? That was around long before Dime started playing. He didn't design the ML shape either, he just played it. The masses took to Pantera in a way they never did Death, but then again, Death were far more extreme, less straighforward. Two great bands, two tragic anniversaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I dunno man. Pantera defined an incredible sound for a generation. Dimebag's riffs are incredible, they wrote heavy with melodies and released incredible albums. Vulgar? Cowboys? remember? Plus with Dimebag's trademark headstock and range of rock guitars and self tabs, he is definitely the long lost über guitarist here, even moreso than the chuckster.

I do remember - but for me, I just think Death put out, overall, far better quality music then Pantera ever did. THis is not a knock on Pantera - still have fond memories meeting them in HMV years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

why the **** are we comparing? they were both legends in their own right, i dont see why everyone has to pit them against each other. they came from different backgrounds, had different styles, played different music, and influenced different musicians. and they're BOTH sadly missed.
    /end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Doctor J wrote:
    The masses took to Pantera in a way they never did Death, but then again, Death were far more extreme, less straighforward. Two great bands, two tragic anniversaries.

Couldn't have put it better

R.I.P Chuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Never really listened to Death TBH. I rememeber hearing them a couple of times on the Jk show back in the 90's and thought it was pretty savage (A visit to Chuck's website today confirmed this), but never got any of their albums. Some wicked riffs in there!

I'm adding Death to my Amazon shopping list. What album should I start with folks?

^ How cool does that sound!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

"The Sound of Perseverance" and "Human" would be my personal votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I love "individual thought patterns" and "human". Check out control denied "the fragile art of existence" too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Chuck will definately be missed, "Voice of the soul" is one of the most moving piece's of music ever written, cant fault the whole "The sound of perseverance" album really, and everything they released had some excellent music behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I'm adding Death to my Amazon shopping list. What album should I start with folks?

^ How cool does that sound!

Human is probably the pivotal point in their career. After that things got less brutal, more technical, prior to it the music was more raw and straightfoward but still amazing (think of any band pioneering a different genre).

Start with Human and work from there. Personally, I have Human at the top of the pile with Leprosy, Spiritual Healing (so dreadfully underrated) and Symbolic fighting it out for second-most-listened-to, but you can't really go wrong with any of them tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Cheers folks, looks like whatever I get I'm on a winner anyway.

Death for Christmas, has a ring to it no?

Advertisement