Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen scratched/damaged by sign/wind

Options
  • 13-12-2006 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone out there can advise or has had something similar happen.

I was driving in the tuam road at 1pm today toward Galway city when a sign was blown by the wind into my car in front of the Kenny citroen/volvo garage. I thnk it was a Galway Corpo sign as the road was flooded and there are several signs along there cos of this. Thankfully the sign hit me on the flat instead of edgeways as it would have come through the windscreen and cut the head off me. I saw it too late but braked hard anyways and stopped dead in the middle of the road just as it hit the car. It hit the windscreen and the flipped up and took off again across a wall i think. It does not appear to have cracked the windscreen but there are several small scratches in the middle of the windscreen.

Will this cause me to fail the NCT? The scratches are dead in the middle of the windscreen and don't really obstruct my view.

Can i claim off the corpo for this? Will i need witnesses or will my word be good enough? There was an Post van directly behind me who saw it happen so i could probably track them down.

Any advise would be welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd say it will be impossible to get damages as the corpo will proberly note Acts of God took place. The best you might do is prove the sign was'nt weighted down properly (did you spot any sandbags nearby?)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

mike65 wrote:
    I'd say it will be impossible to get damages as the corpo will proberly note Acts of God took place. The best you might do is prove the sign was'nt weighted down properly (did you spot any sandbags nearby?)

Mike.

There were sandbags alright but the sign came away from its base which still had the sandbags on it and came straight for me. I'm actually a bit shook up by it now that i think about it. I'm sitting here thinking about what would have happened if it came edgeways at me and in through the windscreen.

Looks like my insurance will be getting rattled so. It's an Audi A4 so i'd imagine it will 5 or 6 hundred quid to replace it.... Bloody weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I think places like autoglass can remove scratches from windscreens, wouldn't imagine it's too expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Any windscreen cover? Check just in case! The last screen I replaced (for a Merc) was 'only' €380 odd.

Mike.

Advertisement