Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car insurance joke

Options
  • 13-12-2006 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

ok mods feel free to move if necesasary

this story begins 3 years ago when my car insurance for a pugeot 1.4 307 was nearly €2500 when I was 24 with a full licence.

So off i go to hibernian insurance and their ignition test which I passed and my insurance came down to €1100 how bad says i so i went with it

following year the quote was only a bear €900 but even with some shopping around it was none better

following year it was back up to €1100 with the same car and 4 years NCD,so I rand up and gave out asked if they were joking only to be told that the ignition discount was not taken off but as it was year 3 this was the last year of it. other insurance companies were average €50 dearer so i stayed put with my new quote of €770

This year i changed my car to a ford focus 1.6 and they charge me an extra €90 for 4 months. When my renewal came in it was €900 so i said to hell with this and rang quinn direct and got a quote for €500 with better conditions. I rand hibernian to cancel my direct debit and to tell them my good news and i said i would leave it if they could bring their price down so the customer service guy sas "i'll just check if all your discounts were given"

lo and behold the ignition discount was extended for a 4th year apparently and the discount took €250 off my premium still making it more expensive than quinn direct

What my beef is that should i have not opened my big mouth i would not have gotten this magical discount over 2 years, for their ignition course and i think they are trying to con their customers

anyone have a similar situation with them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

sorry - thought this was a joke. you wasted 45 seconds which I will never get back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

ok mods feel free to move if necesasary

this story begins 3 years ago when my car insurance for a pugeot 1.4 307 was nearly €2500 when I was 24 with a full licence.

So off i go to hibernian insurance and their ignition test which I passed and my insurance came down to €1100 how bad says i so i went with it

following year the quote was only a bear €900 but even with some shopping around it was none better

following year it was back up to €1100 with the same car and 4 years NCD,so I rand up and gave out asked if they were joking only to be told that the ignition discount was not taken off but as it was year 3 this was the last year of it. other insurance companies were average €50 dearer so i stayed put with my new quote of €770

This year i changed my car to a ford focus 1.6 and they charge me an extra €90 for 4 months. When my renewal came in it was €900 so i said to hell with this and rang quinn direct and got a quote for €500 with better conditions. I rand hibernian to cancel my direct debit and to tell them my good news and i said i would leave it if they could bring their price down so the customer service guy sas "i'll just check if all your discounts were given"

lo and behold the ignition discount was extended for a 4th year apparently and the discount took €250 off my premium still making it more expensive than quinn direct

What my beef is that should i have not opened my big mouth i would not have gotten this magical discount over 2 years, for their ignition course and i think they are trying to con their customers

anyone have a similar situation with them?

makes no sense:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

makes no sense:confused::confused:
    they are trying to rip people off then using the ignition course discount as a way off keeping customers sweet so unless u ask u wont get it after 2 years

slumped if it was an actual joke i'd have put it in the humor section use ur head please

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Nah. It's just the name they came up with on the spur of the moment for a quick discount. It's always worth seeing if your present insurer will bat/match a renewal quote - sometimes they seem to be able to knock off a good bit ans sometimes they not off the teeniest amount possible..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Not sure why people expect anything more from the Insurance companies since they are, after all, in this to make money.

Every time i renew (and i've been doing this for years) i spend an hour or so online and on the phone ringing around to the best quote. I always use the cheapest quote i have and offer it around to see who'll beat it.

My insurance has come down every single year and anyone i know who adopts the same tactic always brings their insurance down. Far too many people just accept the renewal quote from their own company despite the fact that all it often takes is a few phonecalls and a threat to take your business elsewhere to get a discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

slumped wrote:
    sorry - thought this was a joke. you wasted 45 seconds which I will never get back

No, you wasted 45 seconds - you should have tried the humour forum if you wanted to read some jokes.
    Bluehair wrote:
    Not sure why people expect anything more from the Insurance companies since they are, after all, in this to make money.

Every time i renew (and i've been doing this for years) i spend an hour or so online and on the phone ringing around to the best quote. I always use the cheapest quote i have and offer it around to see who'll beat it.

My insurance has come down every single year and anyone i know who adopts the same tactic always brings their insurance down. Far too many people just accept the renewal quote from their own company despite the fact that all it often takes is a few phonecalls and a threat to take your business elsewhere to get a discount.

Couldn't agree more. Every time renewal comes around, I take a few hours and ring EVERY company and broker in the book, even if there are only a few actual insurers; it is still worth shopping around.

Because there are so many variables to consider, it is very hard to figure out what a "fair" price is, so they will charge you as much as they think you will pay for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭robo

Never take the first quote, call around, see what else is out there and then call them back with the new quote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭maly07@poczta.o

u should try AA, they are fantastic, quoted me almost 50% less than the quinn, this October for renewal paid €140 less than last year (5 no claim). Absolutely great company, also being a member of AA road rescue saved my a**e and lots of money few times already! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Happens with nearly all insurance companies. FBD are probably cheapest at present for male drivers - and you can haggle if you have a decent NCB.

Home insurance is the same - I've been with allaince for past 3 years, but every year its a totally new policy as the renewal quote is usually €100 dearer than what their website quotes. - €100 for 5 minutes filling in aform is not bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Bluehair wrote:

i have always done this but this is the first year that shopping around has benifited me, before this all were the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Always shop around! I have got pver €600 cheaper quotes be switching from axa to hibernian, back to axa the next year and then quinn. Smallest difference each year was about €250 :D

The mind boggles, i however do not give them a second chance usually. If i get a stupid quote they are gone! Like when i changed from Axa to Quinn last year, i had already gone with Quinn but i called to get my NCD cert posted and the guy said "Let me see what i can do for your quote" So i thought... "why no" even though i had already signed up with Quinn. Anyway he came back.. "Best i can do is €900" Well about that... i laughed and said no thanks thats still €250 more than quinn, thanks anyway.
    Should be fun next year when i renew again.

Advertisement