Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

OVP Problem,Garage Needed

Options
  • 13-12-2006 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I have a 95 mercedes E220. I've had a problem recently getting it started? Well it starts fine every time but cuts out if I dont drive in a straight line. Happens alot if trying to get out of a car park space. Once the car has warmed up its fine? From reading some other forums I thought it sounded like OverVoltageProtection might be gone? Any ideas where this is in my car, Merc chasis W124 and maybe how to know if this is the problem? Does anyone know a good garage near the IFSC in town or between the IFSC and Clontarf?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

it's hidden under a cover behind the battery in my brother's e200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

What cantdecide said :D

Plus, it has a clear plastic cover on top, and a blue 15A fuse on show. I have heard the soldering breaks down within the relay, it seems to be a common enough problem

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Do you mean that it cuts out when you turn the steering wheel? If so, might be a problem with your power steering pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The overvoltage protection relay is located behind the cover to the rear of the battery, power is from the three-way block, X4/10.

As Frank said they generally just need to have their joints resoldered, no need for replacement, and second hand ones should be repaired before installation !

Best bet is to take it out yourself and give it to someone used to soldering electronics !

From your description I wouldn't be completely sure this is your problem, so maybe a garage trip is a good idea ! Usually OVP faults are random electrical maladies !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I wonder is your battery secure ? And the connections on it are tight ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement