Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reported Posts

Options
  • 13-12-2006 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭

Think this idea may be of use for the likes of the AH and PI mods who probably receive loads of reported posts:

Once a post is reported, the icon could be "greyed out" reported.gif, so there aren't loads of multiple reported posts. Would save people having to look through the thread and see if it was already reported, and would also stop multiple reports. Once the mod has done what they have to do, they can reset it, so it can be reported again if needs be (e.g. if the poster goes back and edits the post etc).
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hmm. Good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Seems like a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

That seems like a fantastic idea. Fair play. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm not knocking your idea(it's a good one), but I'm curious, does the Greystones & Charlesland forum get that many reported posts that this has become an issue? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Me likes. Clever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nice idea if possible. It took me a while to figure out exactly what you meant as I'm on Cloud skin and we use this icon: report.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Good idea, saves users having to reply with "Reported".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

humanji wrote:
    I'm not knocking your idea(it's a good one), but I'm curious, does the Greystones & Charlesland forum get that many reported posts that this has become an issue? :D

No, it certainly doesn't (thank God!) :) Though, we had just one evening of handbags on the forum, and that was enough to make me think about it.
    Gordon wrote:
    Nice idea if possible. It took me a while to figure out exactly what you meant as I'm on Cloud skin and we use this icon:

Oops - I keep forgetting about other skins. I suppose you could change the yellow around it, or grey out the exclamation mark?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Yeah, nice idea; I'm sure in the busiest of forums and the most disturbing of posts a mod could get a tonne of reports on the one issue; this would probably make things a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

As opposed to greying it out wouldn't simply removing the icon completely be simpler? The way we don't have the icon for our own posts.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote:
    As opposed to greying it out wouldn't simply removing the icon completely be simpler? The way we don't have the icon for our own posts.

Then you may end up with threads in here asking why a post can't be reported!

If you greyed it out, and set the title of the image to "post has been reported", it would probably remove any ambiguity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i likes your thibnking i dowes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yes please, greyed out sounds good. A foine idea. *goes back to sorting AH report emails* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

like this idea - but I agree with the suggestion that the icon be replaced with "this post has been reported" or something - otherwise, lots of threads in feedback beginning "Why is the reported posts icon greyed out?"

Could just changed the rollover text (or whatever the pop-out explanation text is when you hover over an icon) from 'Report Bad Post' to 'This Post has already been reported'.

The only bad thing is that you don't automatically know why a post might have been reported - though for most cases, it wouldn't matter. Good idea.

Myth wrote:
    Could just changed the rollover text (or whatever the pop-out explanation text is when you hover over an icon) from 'Report Bad Post' to 'This Post has already been reported'.

The only bad thing is that you don't automatically know why a post might have been reported - though for most cases, it wouldn't matter. Good idea.

You could change the alt attribute for the image to include the explanation that the reporter gave, but I don't know if it's common practice to make this public?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

eoin_s wrote:
    You could change the alt attribute for the image to include the explanation that the reporter gave, but I don't know if it's common practice to make this public?

No, it's very much frowned upon.

Good idea in your op!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

pffft... a sensible feedback thread? Where's the fun in that...? I don't know what the world is coming to...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You could just ignore the icon changing and when they click it do a look up in reported posts for the topic (topic id). If it exists then user gets a different screen saying the post is already been reported.

might be easier to do then dicking around with icons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

It could be set so that when you click it a "YA, OLREDY" owl could come up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

[html]<if condition="$post">Reported</if>[/html]

May only work on 3.6.0!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Looking at the changelog I'm nearly certain that hack will only work on vb 3.6.* as Sparky suggests, but it might be possible to implement anyway. I'm sure this installation is far from unmodified ! It sounds like a good idea, I'm often put off reporting posts thinking others already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Gordon wrote:
    Nah. In many cases(Where the issue is borderline), it's best to get more reports than just the one piss-poorly explained one along the lines "OMG! DIS HURTZ MY FEELINGZ" - if there are considerably more reports, and better reasoning - I'd give it a lot more consideration.
    The idea of fading/greying the icon would really shine for spam.

Definitely a thumbs up for changing the icon-if it's not too much hassle.

Someone out there make a bloody plugin!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Sparky-s wrote:
    Someone out there make a bloody plugin!
    Indeed. If only there was someone out there with an unhealthy interest in vB. And hacking vB. And has a copy of vB. And has a nick like Spanky-s... Get to it. ¬_¬

Karoma wrote:
    Nah. In many cases(Where the issue is borderline), it's best to get more reports than just the one piss-poorly explained one along the lines "OMG! DIS HURTZ MY FEELINGZ" - if there are considerably more reports, and better reasoning - I'd give it a lot more consideration.
    The idea of fading/greying the icon would really shine for spam.

Definitely a thumbs up for changing the icon-if it's not too much hassle.
    As it stands though, and if this is the case, perhaps its the listings of the reports that needs to be changed so.

Have the post reported, and the number of reports beside it, sorted descendingly. Then either click on the number of reports, much like the forum posts, and be shown who complained and why, or have a small text listing of the first x people to report, assuming that not many posts get large numbers of reports it shouldn't clutter too much.

That way, mods get a better system for viewing reports, and users don't need to be alerted that a post was reported at all.

Who is this Spanky-s you speak of Kar? :)

Nah, no plugins for me. I will not be liable for breaking boards or offering support for the issues.

Anyway, all the better to wait for boards to be upgraded to 3.6.* and then we can remind cloud to add it if he likes.

aiden walsh, I don't quite get wat your saying.
    Are you suggesting that we arrange for multiple reports to auto-merge for handy mod use?

aiden walsh, I don't quite get wat your saying.
    Are you suggesting that we arrange for multiple reports to auto-merge for handy mod use?
    Pretty much, yeah. See which posts are least popular first, in a non cluttered way.

Unless of couse they already do, but thats not the impression I'm getting.

• Advertisement

Unless of couse they already do, but thats not the impression I'm getting.
    /wags finger
    Don't you be trying to pry into mod business;)

Advertisement